Author Topic: engine conversion  (Read 2545 times)

Offline truff

• Not said much yet
engine conversion
« on: 10 June 2003, 15:27 »
just wondering if there was someone out there who could help in dire need. I gott a mk1 golf 1.1 project  ive uprated the brakes and suspension to gti spec. and will soon be painting it.

However it needs a bit of go. After reading the practical classics feature on the old mk 1 it seems you can put alot in. I was concidering a 2l mk3 block and gearbox not too mental but good enough. but as my wiring skills are limited wanted to do a carb conversion, is it worth it?

Is there a 2l audi bock which fits in with ease ?

Or are there any other simple big (around 2.0) carbed engines which fit in?

Is the jetta front just the gril and lights or do you need the wings aswell?

Cheers for reading this long message ???  
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline jonny boy

• Not said much yet
Re:engine conversion
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2003, 02:55 »
hello mate,

not sure on the engine side of things, but as far as the jetta front end is concerned, you don't need the wings but you will need a jetta slam panel as these are slighty different to the golf ones, hence the different shape of the lights.

grill, lights and slam panel.

hope this helps matey.

Offline mr.brown

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2003, 06:57 »
If I recall correctly, the 2 litre Passat engine fits but as it's a taller engine  the engine mounts have to be reversed. I'm pretty sure there was a two litre carb version of the old old Passat (up to E reg) so in theory you could use the head from that and the block from a newer one?

Or you could do what I did many years ago, 1.8 16v engine+custom inlet manifold + twin 40 dellortos=165bhp. Also bear in mind that you'll have to get a decent fuel pump.

Offline truff

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2003, 10:26 »
cheers for the help geezers hopefully my shed will be back on the road soon still being a shed but a bit quicker. ;D

Still if anyone can help in heard in a pub (as you do) that the old audi 80 2l engine is the same base block as the mk 3 golf. the 80 instead of the 100 had a 4 cylinder and just wonder if it was right?   ???

Offline stew8vmk2golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2003, 00:42 »
i've just done an engine conversion on a mk2 glof, going from a 1.3 carb to a 1.8 8v gti, not the same gap in years as you but still. with regds to the wiring. To do the wiring may be a simple task, (it wasnt for me i blew two ecu's, by having a bad earth connection.) if you can source the wiring looms, fuse box, and ecu, fuel pumps, then it shouldnt be a problem, take the loom out of doner car, it helps if its still attached to the engine, label every thing with address tags as you do it, and write on a seperate piece of paper the letter or number, (i found capital letters were easier as they couldnt be confused.) of everything you took off and what it connected to. note which grometts the looms came through, and swap directly to your car. Before plugging your ecu back in, wire up the batery and check there is a good earth at all points, the gearbox cylinder head etc etc. once checked, disconnect the +ive batery lead, connect your ecu and away you go. Hopefully. If you take your time, label and check everything throughly then things should be ok, and you can have the advantage of the bigger engine with fuel injection. Best of luck whichever way you go.