Author Topic: Noisy Speedo / Cable?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline VWaxilMK1cab

• Not said much yet
  • 1992 mk1 cabrio gti
Noisy Speedo / Cable?
« on: 26 June 2003, 15:46 »
Even though my front wheel bearings are making lots of noise at the moment, I'm sure I can hear a loud whirring noise coming from the speedo.

Has anyone else had problems with their speedo/cable on their MK1 GTI (cabrio-if it makes a difference) and did you just oil the cable, change the cable or replace the speedo itself?

Many Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
Re:Noisy Speedo / Cable?
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2003, 16:01 »
I had the exact same problem, it used to scream at me over 60 mph so I phoned up for a new replacement -?115, so decided to strip it myself.
I took the dash and instrument pod out. disconnected the back of the pod and unbolted the speedo. It has some form of disc in a cup that needed a clean out, put it back together and it has been fine since. took about 30 minutes from getting in the car to test driving it, so it's not a big job. you just have to remember where each bolt,screw, and cable goes when putting it back- save yourself a few quid too. 8)
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline VWaxilMK1cab

• Not said much yet
  • 1992 mk1 cabrio gti
Re:Noisy Speedo / Cable?
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2003, 22:41 »
Nice one! I'll have a go at that & oil the cable while I'm there.... The screws are missing out of the bit of the dash that holds the speedo anyway - looks like when they fitted the alarm (which no longer chuffin works!!) they must've lost em, so I'll have to find some replacements (either from a scrappy or if sum1 can tell me what size they are - i think they're self tappers arent they?) It will stop that rattling too ;) and once I've fitted these bearings this weeked (going to have to weld the old bearing inners to get the stiff bastards out!) it will be as quiet as a very quiet thing!

Hopefully my newly repaired digital camera will be back soon too, so I'll be able to post some pics of my new pride and joy  ;D Please stand by! ;)

Waxil