Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 287377 times)

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #1560 on: 24 September 2010, 11:16 »
both would race at the same time in the same race.  The only difference to the current set up is that the winner of the midfield would get to stand on the podium and be recognised for their achievements.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #1561 on: 24 September 2010, 11:24 »
So as a driver would you rather finish 12th and last. Or, 13th and first, and be on the podium?

And as a consequence getting you and your team more media exposure, and psiing of the team wo's driver finished 12th.

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #1562 on: 24 September 2010, 11:37 »
as I said, there would be a budget difference between the tiers to be able to take part in either tier.  This is no different to the privateers and factory teams in other forms of motorsport.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
« Reply #1563 on: 24 September 2010, 11:49 »
True.  But budget differneces between teams in F1 resulst in cars being seconds quicker.  Look at the problems the top teams had with the new teams slower cars.  Effectively acting as "mobile roadblocks".

So, if running both tiers at the same time happened, you'd have 13 fast cars and 13 very slow cars running around the same track.

On safety grounds alone, this is a non starter.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #1564 on: 24 September 2010, 11:54 »
Works fine in the carrera cup supporting the BTCC. There's three tiers in that and they all race at the same time.

nick

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #1565 on: 24 September 2010, 11:54 »
you're missing the point...it would be no different compared to how it is now but the midfield would be more competitive.

The new teams aren't slower because of budget, but because they are new and can conduct no testing.  Remember, redbull and force india were, as you put it, "roadblocks" not so long ago and they are now both contenders without being on the same budget as Ferrari and Maclaren.  The new teams will get more competitive as the races go on.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
« Reply #1566 on: 24 September 2010, 12:01 »
Works fine in the carrera cup supporting the BTCC. There's three tiers in that and they all race at the same time.

nick

But, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, are those differect tiers imposed by restrictions in car type/development?

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #1567 on: 24 September 2010, 12:07 »
budget

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #1568 on: 24 September 2010, 12:09 »

nick

Top tier is new cars, 2nd tier is last years car, 3rd tier I'm not sure.

The point UFO is making is that the races will be the same as they are now but the teams with a small budget get their own championship allowing them to get trophies and points. It happens in many many different motorsports and works perfectly well.

nick

But, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, are those differect tiers imposed by restrictions in car type/development?

Offline Winso

• Here all the time
« Reply #1569 on: 24 September 2010, 12:55 »
I honestly don't see what the problem is with it at the moment, it all seems to work fine to me.

The slow teams fight amongst themselves and at the same time give the fast guys a bit of a challenge in terms of lapping etc. They also crash quite a lot which, if we're all honest, we like to see a bit of (with no one getting seriously hurt obviously). I like seeing them develop too, I seem to remember Red Bull being pretty average for quite a few seasons until they got everything hooked up.

I wouldn't change the points system either, again it seems to work fine.

What I would do is limit the numer of races at dull tracks (yes Bahrain I'm talking about you)....... and also introduce a sprinkler system at every track, because we all know that wet races are always good!!!!