Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 287413 times)

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #1380 on: 27 July 2010, 01:22 »
being the devils advocate here.....

If we all accept that team orders exist , looking at  this situation more clearly now maybe the real villians in all this could be seen as Massa and Rob Smedley.
Yes, RS was told to do a job he shouldn't have to do, it should have been the team manager , but he chose to make the order obvious knowing full well it would be broadcast and Massa chose to make the swap obvious.

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #1381 on: 27 July 2010, 01:25 »
For me it is an absolute outrage. The way I see it is as follows.

The race that weekend was Massa's chance to prove to himself that he had overcome the crash. To win the race exactly one year after a crash which almost forced his retirement would probably have meant more to him than winning the Championship. It would have been something he treasured when he retired. Yet it was taken from him.

I am disappoint Ferrari got off so lightly. Let's be honest, £65k is nothing for Ferrari.

But I am fuming at how Alonso is getting off with it. When he raced with Renault, his team mate was ordered to crash. When he raced at McLaren he complained that he wasn't the number one driver. Now at Ferrari his team mate is ordered to let him past (cause he can't get past on his own). How much more will Alonso try to get away with before someone takes heed?

And he had the cheek to state his win at the weekend was won fairly and deservedly.

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #1382 on: 27 July 2010, 01:50 »
As I said before in this thread , i'm no Alonso fan but what else can he do? He can't say it wasn't fair and deserved as that would be the same as admitting he cheated and lied about it when Ferrari are due to go before the WMSC. I'm sure he's not unhappy but he does work for Ferrari so has to do as he's told if he want's to keep his seat.

I think the solution to the team orders problem , given that it can't be stopped is something like : team orders are only allowed once the mathematical chance of one of a teams drivers winning the WDC is finished.

At least then it would be more transparent and no-one would lose out. Having said that , nothing can stop a driver being told in his ear 5 minutes before he gets into the car that he has to let his team mate pass in certain situations.

I'm not sure how much access the FIA lawyers have to driver contracts but maybe if they did have access that would stop drivers having a number 2 driver clause like people think Massa has for the rest of his contract.

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #1383 on: 27 July 2010, 08:37 »
nothing can stop a driver being told in his ear 5 minutes before he gets into the car that he has to let his team mate pass in certain situations.
how about if each team only had one car and there were more teams?

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #1384 on: 27 July 2010, 09:11 »
nothing can stop a driver being told in his ear 5 minutes before he gets into the car that he has to let his team mate pass in certain situations.
how about if each team only had one car and there were more teams?

or maybe bursting their eardrums with a sharpened pencil.....................but seriously.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #1385 on: 28 July 2010, 09:00 »
the 'for sure' championship is hotting up  :grin:

http://www.f1network.net/main/s169/st150763.htm

Offline 2001gti4

• Here all the time
« Reply #1386 on: 28 July 2010, 09:27 »
the 'for sure' championship is hotting up  :grin:

http://www.f1network.net/main/s169/st150763.htm
Now that is a competition, for sure a Brit has to win that!  :grin:
My Golf is dead but at least I have this....

adamrob69

« Reply #1387 on: 31 July 2010, 12:01 »
This weekend is set to be...very cr@p

red bulls at least half a second in front of ferrari

redbulls nearly 1.5 seconds in front of the rest

All be it only testing times so there is a bit of give and take, but its looking bad. Mclarens are loosing a second in the midle section alone! Renault are third best in front of the mclarens i should add.

To cap it all, you carnt really overtake on this circuit! very narrow in places and its very follow the leader  :undecided:

Offline Hulmie

• I live here
  • White MK4 1.8T AGU K03s
« Reply #1388 on: 31 July 2010, 15:59 »
boring qualifying sessions, mclarens are dropping off now.hope there upgrades start working for them soon. And god knows whats gonna happen with the flexi front wing the red bulls and ferrari are using. its obvious it moves when braking and coming into corners, thats why they are loads quicker.

mk4 R32 Golf, Reflex Silver, V6

adamrob69

« Reply #1389 on: 31 July 2010, 17:06 »
boring qualifying sessions, mclarens are dropping off now.hope there upgrades start working for them soon. And god knows whats gonna happen with the flexi front wing the red bulls and ferrari are using. its obvious it moves when braking and coming into corners, thats why they are loads quicker.

thats not why there loads quicker, it doesnt give you an extra 2 seconds to a normal wing; its a number of things with the wing being only a small contribution. It is an intresting one though. in the letter of the law there illegal; however they pass the FIA checks, im not sure they can do anything about that other then the other teams will have to copy.

Mclarens will be strong in the next two races. There strugling this week because there car hasnt got alot of downforce, but a massive top speed - exactly what you dont need on this circuit. The next two races however are full of long straights so they should be looking at podiums.