Author Topic: CS45 or.... R  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Stu_CS45

• Just got here
CS45 or.... R
« on: 04 August 2021, 08:12 »
Morning all,

As the title may suggest, I am in a dilemma, CS45 or Golf R? I am 80/20 leaning on the CS45.

Current car is an M2 competition, fabulous car and it really is, but ask me that again in the winter months.. that is why it is going to a new home next week, the other deciding factor is that the market is very good for used performance cars currently so it has been a cheap 12 months ownership with good returns.

Having a look around the MK8 ticks my boxes but as has been mentioned a few times there appears to be some gremlins with the software/acc a mind of its own etc . This would appear to be a common trait as we hope Wolfsburg come up with some solutions pronto.

As this is a GTI forum I understand there will be some bias towards the GTI, I suppose it would be easier asking why you didn't order the R.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: CS45 or.... R
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2021, 09:23 »
I would suggest you go for the CS45, that way you will not have the hassle of changing your username? :)

Different cars, I would probably go for the R, or consider a lightly optioned CS to keep it under £40k?

Each to their own, but I was slightly disappointed with the 45 cosmetic "upgrades".

Offline Stu_CS45

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2021, 09:42 »
I would suggest you go for the CS45, that way you will not have the hassle of changing your username? :)

Different cars, I would probably go for the R, or consider a lightly optioned CS to keep it under £40k?

Each to their own, but I was slightly disappointed with the 45 cosmetic "upgrades".

Thanks for the reply, I am not too concerned about the 40k tax thing. It is a pretty tough dilemma.

Offline Stu_CS45

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2021, 09:44 »
A quick Q for anyone that knows ; Does the car shift up for you in manual mode still? I seem to recall it doesn't but perhaps that is only in the Special mode (nurburgring/DCC)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2021, 10:54 »
I think only the R doesn't auto upshift, the CS45 is basically a CS and that definitely upshifts.

You can get that fixed with a DSG tune though. TVS are your goto people for that.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2021, 11:33 »
Welcome Stu  :smiley:

Have you seen this? https://youtu.be/7vEtg8HNBSI

After the novelty has worn off I doubt either Golf will stoke your fires too much after owning an M2, but as a short term car then I’d say if you’re going for an R get a Performance Pack version.

A Clubsport (45) is all about the handling, it’s a very quick point to point car on the right road but it’s no M2.
An R is faster still but probably even more inert after an M2.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Stu_CS45

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2021, 12:17 »
Welcome Stu  :smiley:

Have you seen this? https://youtu.be/7vEtg8HNBSI

After the novelty has worn off I doubt either Golf will stoke your fires too much after owning an M2, but as a short term car then I’d say if you’re going for an R get a Performance Pack version.

A Clubsport (45) is all about the handling, it’s a very quick point to point car on the right road but it’s no M2.
An R is faster still but probably even more inert after an M2.

Thanks for the reply, My m2 is on coilovers and I promise you that most modern hot hatches will likely see off an M2 in anything other than bone dry conditions and even then it wont be far off.

I had a civic type R (FK8) which was very very good in the back roads but as I am approaching 42 I had a realisation that the looks were a bit too much, I love the M2 but it rains a lot here.

The MK8 appeals to me.. not yet ordered but I am hoping VW pull their socks up with the current issues they are having across the MK8 range.

Offline Stu_CS45

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2021, 12:18 »
I think only the R doesn't auto upshift, the CS45 is basically a CS and that definitely upshifts.

You can get that fixed with a DSG tune though. TVS are your goto people for that.

Ah really, I was hopeful it was software related with the "special modes"

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2021, 17:41 »
I sold my M2 Comp, we have a MK7 GTi, I tested a CS and R back to back (had the R for 24 hours also) and I would buy the R, its all year round useable

MK7 GTi

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2021, 18:25 »
I sold my M2 Comp, we have a MK7 GTi, I tested a CS and R back to back (had the R for 24 hours also) and I would buy the R, its all year round useable

Yes, because FWD hatches suddenly become unusable for six months of the year.  :whistle:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner