Author Topic: Urano grey??  (Read 3896 times)

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Urano grey??
« on: 10 June 2021, 12:26 »
Anybody got any thoughts on Urano Grey?? Is it a pain to keep looking good??

I have seen an Edition 40 Clubsport #706 in this particular colour and cant make up my mind if i like it or not??

2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Urano grey??
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2021, 13:09 »
Urano Grey was the free colour on the mk7 Golf for a period of time. With some of their car models, VW seem to use an unpopular colour as the free colour - presumably a deliberate tactic to get prospective buyers to pay extra for one of the extra cost optional colours.

As far as Urano Grey is concerned, IMO it doesn’t look good on run of the mill non performance Golfs, but I think it works quite well on the GTI ED40 with the contrasting red GTI accents in the same way that Pure Grey works well on the mk7.5 GTI TCR. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a Urano Grey mk7 GTI in the metal - so maybe it wasn’t a popular colour choice with GTI ED40 buyers? From a maintenance point of view, with Urano Grey being a dark-ish colour, it probably shows swirl marks quite easily, so using a safe wash technique would be necessary to minimise the risk of swirling, and avoiding the many Eastern European hand car wash places and VW dealer service washes would be a must for me.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2021, 14:02 »
#706 is a nicely specified car, as for Urano grey, I have seen a few over the years & it doesn't really work for me.
I am not a huge fan of the shiny primer grey paint hues, but it does work better with some of the Audi S/RS variants.
Purely subjective, if you like it, go for it, a nice specification, if not a little leggy in the mileage stakes?   

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2021, 14:39 »
One minute i think it looks quite good, then not so good.

I suppose in the flesh it may be completely different.

It is a little up on miles, but has a nice spec and has 2 prior owners, the 2nd owning it from quite early in its life and has all its servicing work performed by the same VW dealership.

I take it Clubsport you've seen it on Autotrader??

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2021, 14:53 »
I too aren't keen on the flat greys, when I was looking for a TCR I viewed one in grey and actually it did look good. As mentioned above, the grey contrasts well with the red and black features. In the end though I too was undecided so went for Oryx which is okay, but doesn't excite me. As to your dilema, if it's a good car and the spec you want, go for it. You may grow to love the colour and if not, you won't hate it and when driving you don't see much of it. CS40s are few and far between let alone a good one.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2021, 16:08 »
Yes madstaff, I've seen it on autotrader. I tend to follow the market on mk7 Cs & Cs-S.

It's a similar spec to my CS only different colour, I only mention the mileage as it's 5x that of my car, however it looks a good buy to me with 2 years VW warranty at that price.

Only issue is can you live with the colour and what will the mileage be when you come to sell it?
Only you can answer those questions?
Good luck!

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 10 June 2021, 16:38 »
I've only ever seen 1 clubsport in that colour, the black parts don't really stand out the same, bit more low key but it's not a bad colour, I prefer the TCR grey personally. Swirl marks will be pretty noticeable on it, be sure to wash it properly, Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine Polish would work well on it if it's in need of a polish, I wouldn't let keeping the paint work put you off, red or white would be my preference in a Clubsport, TCR I'd have grey  :smiley:
Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2021, 16:55 »
I probably do 5000 miles a year, if that, so in a couple of years the mileage will even itself out.

Its ok looking at the colour on the internet, but until you see it with your own eyes..............

It does look as though it needs a good machine polishing though, swirl city in the sun!!!

« Last Edit: 10 June 2021, 17:00 by madstaff »

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2021, 17:03 »
Its ok looking at the colour on the internet, but until you see it with your own eyes..............

True, when you see it in the flesh you'll know then for sure if you like it or not.
Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2021, 23:11 »
Ohhhh it's Urano Grey, that's makes a bit more sense. I always thought it was urethr... grey  :whistle:

Personally I thought Urano Grey was the 2nd worst colour I've ever seen, (BMW Long Island blue being the worst). If I were after a Clubsport my choice would be Oryx White (If available can't remember if it was) Reflex Silver, Tornado Red. Quite frankly Reflex Silver is very very underrated colour.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/