Author Topic: Horrible Squeak coming from front left wheel when driving  (Read 3725 times)

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
Re: Horrible Squeak coming from front left wheel when driving
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2021, 08:43 »
Update:

Gave it a go today, disassembled it and removed the disk from the dust shield. there didn’t appear to be anything stuck there. Cleaned up any areas that had a build up of dirt with a wire brush before putting it back on.

The sound still remains :sad:

No idea what else it could be. A few of you have suggested bushes, but would it be characteristic of the sound to stop when applying the brake if bushes are causing the issue?

If applying the brake stops the noise then no but is it the braking that's stopping it or the slowing down? sometimes bushes only make noise when under load shall we say, obviously the faster you go the more bumps etc the suspension is dealing with and then the bushes might start to squeak. It's not the wheel bearing as that's been replaced, if you've replaced the pads have they had enough time to bed in, new pads can be squeaky until they're run in, if they haven't been replaced then badly worn pads also squeak. If it's non of those is it possible that you have a warped disc? That can also cause squeaking, is the squeaking constant?
Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2021, 17:33 »
If it's non of those is it possible that you have a warped disc? That can also cause squeaking, is the squeaking constant?

Thought it could be a warped disk, but would I not experience shaking/vibrating when braking? I am not experiencing that.

It’s definitely the braking that is causing the noise to stop, not the slowing down.

https://streamable.com/e/5i75zc

I think I forgot to mention but the issue only happens at around 30ish mph as you can see in the video
« Last Edit: 16 June 2021, 19:13 by zainahmed48 »
2018 Indium Grey MK7.5 GTi (Manual), 19" Brescia

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 17 June 2021, 09:44 »
Thought it could be a warped disk, but would I not experience shaking/vibrating when braking? I am not experiencing that.

I'm definitely no expert, and your right about the vibrating, my Mini had a warped disc and had an awful vibration from the wheel and a juddering noise when braking however my thinking would be it depends on how warped the disc actually is, I can hear the squeak in that video and it does seem to be braking related. If it ain't the pads then there isn't really a lot else going on other than the disc, never had to change a disc on a golf so I have no idea what the setup is on a golf but I know on my mini even some dirt between the hub and disc or over torqued bolts when mounting is enough to cause issues. Maybe jack up the car and try rotating the hub to see if you notice any friction, in my case the warped disc wasn't free running and made contact with the pad for a quarter of a turn unlike the other side which was free running.

When I had the disc off and placed it on a smooth surface then it was extremely obvious as the disc wouldn't sit flat and rocked about, turned out to be a good thing in my case as I upgraded to vented grooved discs and ebc greenstuff pads which actually make the car want to stop now instead of feeling like the engine is doing all the braking. :grin: and for some context I'm 25 and have never drive a car older than 2010, so a classic mini felt completely hopeless on the brakes to me haha

Hope you get sorted soon zainahmed48, they say a unclean discs and pads can also cause squeaking but if you've cleaned them also to me it's probably not something that's going to cause any real issues but I know if it were me I couldn't leave it alone either as my ocd wouldn't allow it lol

« Last Edit: 17 June 2021, 09:51 by matthewh »
Current:
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 17 June 2021, 10:14 »
You would definitely feel a warped disc through the brake pedal and the steering wheel, if you were exiting the carrigeway up a slip road from 70mph for example.

That sounds to me as if the brake dust shield/back plate is making contact with the disc, easily knocked and bent when removing the wheel.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 17 June 2021, 12:41 »
You would definitely feel a warped disc through the brake pedal and the steering wheel, if you were exiting the carrigeway up a slip road from 70mph for example.

That sounds to me as if the brake dust shield/back plate is making contact with the disc, easily knocked and bent when removing the wheel.

Think the dealer checked the shield and found nothing wrong with that either, maybe it's time to find another garage to look at it?
Current:
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 17 June 2021, 13:22 »
it’s probably not something that's going to cause any real issues but I know if it were me I couldn't leave it alone either as my ocd wouldn't allow it lol

Describes it perfectly  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Think the dealer checked the shield and found nothing wrong with that either, maybe it's time to find another garage to look at it?

Yes booked in with a different dealer for Wednesday so fingers crossed !!

Offline GTIreland

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2021, 02:13 »
Mine has gone away all by itself for now.

I did prod the dust shields with a key, got some loud bongs but wouldn't pin this as the solution as it continued to make the noise for a while longer.

On a different note, I've been on a mission to eradicate rattles in the car and tonight gents, I've reached nirvana.

The last rattle was resolved by pulling down a bit on the foam that goes around the passenger feet vents. It produced a faint but annoying rustling sound over rough asphalt as when seated properly it's not secure enough.

Could have sworn it was coming from the back...
2016 Mk7 GTI PP CSG Manual

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2021, 16:48 »
Update:

Been to a different VW dealer and the sound still remains. They’ve lubricated all the suspension bushes and also reported that the front n/s flexi hose is twisted.

Perhaps that is my issue and it’s not creating enough pressure to retract the piston fully??? Or could be slide pins which I haven’t looked at so might lubricate those while I’m at it.

They said it’s £75 just to straighten it :grin: robbery.

I’ll straighten it and update you all. Thanks for the help so far!

Zain
« Last Edit: 24 June 2021, 03:12 by zainahmed48 »

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 12 July 2021, 22:08 »
UPDATE:

Seems like I fixed the squeak!

It wasn’t the front left - it was actually the rear. The pads still have some wear left on them so that wasn’t the issue, instead it was the calliper piston not retracting fully. I cleaned up the calliper and relubricated the piston, and then reinserted it and bled the system. It seems to be retracting properly now.

I’ve driven it about today and there seems so be no squeaking at all, thank god!

Glad I solved it and managed to learn a few things along the way too.