Author Topic: Best all weather winter tyres for GTD  (Read 8330 times)

Offline doc house

• Not said much yet
Best all weather winter tyres for GTD
« on: 25 September 2018, 19:08 »
What a people’s thoughts on all weather / winter tyres my stock tyres are ready to be replaced and I’d prefer to get a capable winter / all weather set that can cope with a bit of snow and slick muddy country roads

Offline sadsac

• Not said much yet
Re: Best all weather winter tyres for GTD
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2018, 17:06 »
Ive switched from the bridgestones to goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 3 all round and found them excellent (softer, less bunny hopping) and good value for money too
2016 GTD DSG deep black pearl discover pro dynaudio climate windscreen adv tel prep parking pack

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2018, 19:27 »
By all weather tyres i presume you mean something like a Michelin Cross Climate+ rather than an actual full winter tyre?

The Cross Climate+'s are very good as far as the reviews go, but they won't perform as well as a full winter tyre in the harshest wintry conditions. Nor will they perform as well as a true summer tyre in hot weather. They will however outperform summer tyres in winter, and winter tyres in summer.
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2018, 22:05 »
Don't the cross climates and also the new Bridgestone all weather ones have the snow symbol? That means they are classed as snow tyres doesn't it?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline doc house

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2018, 17:10 »
Ideally want ones that can cope with mud and leavesbut deal with a bit of snow when it comes, to be fair I managed to get all the way up to Malvern and back on the OEM Bridgestones but had a few slidey moments that I’d rather avoid if I could was surprised how good it was in the snow

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2018, 08:55 »
I have a set of Hankook i'cept evo2 tyres that I've fitted for the last couple of winters, and will be fitting again shortly.  Would recommend for the cost.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2018, 15:04 »
New all weathers are generally labelled with the snowflake symbol for the reason that otherwise a lot of countries (including Germany) do not accept them as winter tyres; i.e. if there is frost and/or snow.

Personally I'd go for separate summers and winters; my preferred choice of winter tyres were the Nokian WR A4. They offer better wet grip than most winter tyres, so a good choice in Britain.

If anyone's interested I've got a set of 16" winters for sale (set of 5 wheels and tyres).
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles