Author Topic: DSG on GTD - yes or no ??  (Read 11087 times)

Offline Duroo72

• Not said much yet
Re: DSG on GTD - yes or no ??
« Reply #20 on: 22 January 2014, 11:28 »
Why would DSG reduce the tendency for wheel spin?

I agree the tramping is bad, especially given the fact that VW trumpets about the anti-tramping system. Having said all that, I have yet to experience tramping that could be because I have Continental tyres not Bridgestones or it could be that my anti-tramping system is working or...

Just thinking that the combined DSG and Traction Control would detect wheel spin and
enable quicker get always maybe it would dampen the drive a fair bit but at least you could keep you foot planted? where as in the manual once the wheels spin I have to momentarily lift off and re-apply.
All in all brilliant car and am very happy but just wish the summer would arrive!

GTD -  Tornado Red - Dynaudio - Winterpack - Mans Gearbox!

Offline Duroo72

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 22 January 2014, 11:33 »
I suffer from far less tramping now, but only because I really rein it in when it is wet. I’d rather set off like a pensioner in a 1.0 Micra than sit there on the spot thumping the tarmac, but on a car like a GTD you really shouldn’t need to. A real pity I have to wait until 3rd to put my foot down when it is wet….still feeling too tight to buy a pair of Michelins for the fronts when those Bridgestones have lots of life left in them. A puncture would definitely make my mind up (probably just jinxed myself there).

I’m sure if we took our slippy GTDs back to the dealers in the wet to demonstrate a lack of effective anti-tramping measures and ask for a warranty fix, we’d be told to use less throttle (maybe that is the anti-tramping system, have a lighter right

I tend to agree with you - what's the opposite of a rain dance? Sun dance?!
Let's hope for a heat wave from February to Nov!!!

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 22 January 2014, 11:35 »
Whilst I'm still far from enamoured with the Bridgestone's, I am finding the more miles I put on them, the better they seem to be getting. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's totally the wrong tyre for a car like the GTD with the massive amount of low down torque it has, but I am finding them less inclined to wheel spin like a bast*rd, unless I really provoke it.

Still think the Pirelli P7's on the Scirocco and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrical's on the older MK5 2.0 GT TDI were much better tyres.

Still very happy overall though that I chose DSG, I certainly have no issues with the car getting confused which gear it should be in, or even being in the wrong gear, and it does make my journey's much more relaxed as a result. Others will obviously disagree, but hey, that's the beauty of choice.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 22 January 2014, 11:39 »
Just thinking that the combined DSG and Traction Control would detect wheel spin and
enable quicker get always maybe it would dampen the drive a fair bit but at least you could keep you foot planted? where as in the manual once the wheels spin I have to momentarily lift off and re-apply.

As far as I know the traction control system on manual and DSG cars is the same. If you want to keep your foot planted and let the traction control deal with it, it doesn't matter whether you're in a manual or DSG...

In terms of just keeping your foot planted... surely part of the skill of driving is the use of the throttle as an analogue device not a switch?  :wink:

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Duroo72

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 22 January 2014, 14:27 »

As far as I know the traction control system on manual and DSG cars is the same. If you want to keep your foot planted and let the traction control deal with it, it doesn't matter whether you're in a manual or DSG...

In terms of just keeping your foot planted... surely part of the skill of driving is the use of the throttle as an analogue device not a switch?  :wink:

Have you a Manual with Bridgestones? If so you will know that in wet/damp conditions even the merest hint of fun/hard acceleration results in wheel spin - throttle modulation doesn't normally help in first gear its a lift off momentarily and re-apply that gets you going again. In 2nd and 3rd gears modulation can help - not had any spins into 4th?!!!!!  :smiley:
As Monkeyhanger previously said having a lighter right foot is where its at it - hopefully on the next generation GTD we will see 4wd and of course more power! :shocked:

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 22 January 2014, 14:40 »
Have you a Manual with Bridgestones? If so you will know that in wet/damp conditions even the merest hint of fun/hard acceleration results in wheel spin - throttle modulation doesn't normally help in first gear its a lift off momentarily and re-apply that gets you going again. In 2nd and 3rd gears modulation can help - not had any spins into 4th?!!!!!  :smiley:
As Monkeyhanger previously said having a lighter right foot is where its at it - hopefully on the next generation GTD we will see 4wd and of course more power! :shocked:

No, I have the much better (at least on the evidence of this site) Conti's on my GTD Manual.

This may be a feel thing, but I've felt the Contis begin to lose grip and backed off slightly and the grip is regained quickly... you can then press the pedal to the point where traction is nearly broken...

This may be as a result of being an old git and having grown up driving cars with tricky power deliveries, even worse tyres than the Bridgestones and no traction control (classic Saab 900 T16S, Fiat Coupe 20v T, Porsche 944 Turbo S all of which were rather... sudden) other than that provided by your right foot...

In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

mjh_056

« Reply #26 on: 22 January 2014, 14:57 »
Just clocked 3000 miles now averaging about a 1000 miles a month and got to that stage where just in tune with the car and what it can do.

This is my first DSG and obviously had some concerns moving to it, but have to say in all honesty that given the  my usual driving patterns I cannot see myself going back from DSG to Manual as it has taken so much of the irritating effort out of my travels.

M25 and town driving is now an absolute doddle in combination with the auto hold which I love.

Not sure how the DSG 'learns' your driving style or even if this is a factor but it has loosened up considerably and gear changes are smooth and seamless.

Do not worry if in comfort and normal the 'kick down' provides an instant response and you are off and away from any troubles readily.

I do use Sport and Manual (Paddles) when out of town and the 1st gear is a little short which demonstrates how the DSG in auto handles the gears really well as it's a seamless curve of power as goes up through gears.

I like the paddles for appropriate roads, a nice option to have, but if really honest tend to use them about 15% of the time as the DSG alone is getting me around both leisurely and at a pace very satisfactorily.

DSG does take a little getting used to, very alien in first few weeks but as get in tune with car you begin to love it and think for anyone who drives their cars in a pretty regular way as me will feel just the same. 

Just a couple of quick comments now done 3K

1.The GTD is def far more refined in power output than my outgoing Audi but no less quick.
2. The ride with DCC is a revelation, in absolute love with comfort getting
3. Economy is now over 43 mpg overall and been rising all time which if consider there is a high element of town driving is very good as an average from 3k and recent trips to Manchester of 190 miles returned 54 and 55mpg respectively.
4. Love the heated seats
5. Very dirty! will need a good spring TLC but pointless now.
6. Get's lots of looks still :) and personally love the style more now see everyday - and thank VW for allowing me to have a 5 door without compromise on looks as having a 5 door has been another huge plus for me.

Edit - Have Bridgestones too and you do get some tramp in wet when really boot away and the electronics do intervene but you do got a good feel for it ever a little time and as Sootchucker states above it seems to be a lot better.

Not an experience had in last 6 years having driven a Quattro so have had to adjust and with that I would say it was a downside and be nice to have the 4WD for a complete combination though you then factor in cost, weight and how little much time the 4WD makes a real difference.

That's about it really and think not having to feel putting up with anything says it all as simply just get in car and enjoy each and every journey. 

« Last Edit: 22 January 2014, 15:17 by mjh_056 »

Offline Duroo72

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 22 January 2014, 15:00 »

No, I have the much better (at least on the evidence of this site) Conti's on my GTD Manual.

This may be a feel thing, but I've felt the Contis begin to lose grip and backed off slightly and the grip is regained quickly... you can then press the pedal to the point where traction is nearly broken...

This may be as a result of being an old git and having grown up driving cars with tricky power deliveries, even worse tyres than the Bridgestones and no traction control (classic Saab 900 T16S, Fiat Coupe 20v T, Porsche 944 Turbo S all of which were rather... sudden) other than that provided by your right foot...

To be fair 2nd and 3rd gear you can probably feel traction breaking and either back off or modulate the throttle but 1st gear spin a lot of the time happens suddenly with a burst of torque and its too late to do anything but lift off and reapply the throttle - was that 944 turbo rear wheel drive  :shocked: aka "the widow maker!!!".

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 22 January 2014, 15:29 »
Not an experience had in last 6 years having driven a Quattro so have had to adjust and with that I would say it was a downside and be nice to have the 4WD for a complete combination though you then factor in cost, weight and how little much time the 4WD makes a real difference.

Not really "quattro" in the original sense of the word but Audi marketing would have you believe otherwise, they're haldex so front wheel drive 99+% of the time... so seem to prevent wheelspin though... couldn't get my mate's S3 to wheelspin at all in the dry or the wet... you just ended up with a smelly clutch...  :laugh:

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 22 January 2014, 15:36 »
was that 944 turbo rear wheel drive  :shocked: aka "the widow maker!!!".

The 944 Turbo was rear wheel drive with a limited slip differential. One of the most beautifully balanced cars I've ever driven and destructively fast when on boost  :evil:

Off boost, you could be overtaken by 1100 Fiestas. You needed to be quite careful in the damp, it would spin the wheels in 3rd gear and given the on-off nature of the power it made driving quickly in the damp or wet a tricky affair. Having said all that, it was pretty controllable... once you were awake.