Author Topic: Golf GTD v BMW 120d M-Sport  (Read 36232 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
Golf GTD v BMW 120d M-Sport
« on: 16 December 2013, 11:35 »
So, I have had my GTD for 4 full days now and my g/f has a 120d M-Sport.

Here are my initial thoughts in comparison:

Performance:

Difficult to tell, my GTD hasn't cracked 250 miles yet and the BMW has ~5,000 miles. The power delivery is certainly different, the BMW more old school diesel, the GTD has a smoother less peaky delivery. I suspect there would be little to choose between them, there is less than half a second in it in the official figures for 0-60 (for what it is worth) and I reckon from a rolling start from 20mph to say 80 it would be close. I think we'll call it equal.

Ride and Handling

Here, there is a difference, the ride in the Golf is simply better (I have the standard dampers) than the BMW which is fidgetty at low speeds. The handling is more confidence inspiring in the Golf but I think the majority of that is down to the Bridgestone tyres on the BMW, this expresses itself in the BMW as, even in Sport, as a weird numb lightness in the steering on initial turn-in, the car doesn't understeer as such but its almost like a video game in that you just have to rely on the fact the car is going to turn... not good,  but as I said I'm pretty sure its the tyres. The Golf has a chuckable, unstickable sort of feel to it, although you are always aware of the slightly nose heavy attitude compared to the BMW. The Golf wins by a small but significant margin.

Economy

Difficult to tell at the moment. The BMW averages >48 mpg with mid-fifties achievable on a motorway run averaging 75mph. I can't yet comment on the Golf, as I haven't been on any longer journeys in it. The nearest I have had so far was a 28 miles trip of mostly motorway/dual carriageway with cruise set at 75mph and I saw 46.6 for the trip which included some heavy, stop-start traffic for 10 minutes at the beginning, so not too bad.

Interior

Both cars have very different concepts. Firstly, the BMW, has the feeling of a cockpit, the seats are excellent (significantly ahead of the Golf, imo) and you can (and do if you're me) sit very low... but it feels a little dark and cramped in there; however, it is well made if a little scarce on the equipment side. The Golf has a lovely airy cabin the downside of this, for me at least, is that you sit too high. The seats are acceptable and it is well equipped and appears beautifully put together. So, the Golf would be difficult to beat, if I could have the BMW seats and driving position. There is more space in the Golf, in general but I think, I'll have to call it a draw.

Just a quick note, the BMW has the Harman-Kardon upgrade and I have Dynaudio in the Golf. The Dynaudio is the better sounding system to me (and the g/f) although the BMW system is still pretty good.

Equipment

Easy, the Golf wins hands down. Connectivity to the stereo, adaptive cruise control and those lights, both inside and out. etc. etc.

That's all for now but I may get the opportunity to have a run in them both soon with the Dynolicious app (when the Golf is run-in) to compare the cars objectively from a performance perspective.

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Robbo

• Not said much yet
Re: Golf GTD v BMW 120d M-Sport
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2013, 12:24 »
So, the Golf would be difficult to beat, if I could have the BMW seats and driving position.

Having just moved from a 320d M-Sport (E90 model), I agree, the BMW Sport seats and driving position are superb.  My wife has a 116i Sport (2 months old) with the same sports seats and the range of adjustment is excellent, although I would say that the GTD seats have a more comfortable seat base.  I do miss the pull out seat squab at the front of the seat and the adjustable side bolsters though, just for that bit of extra support. 

I've got more used to the driving position in the GTD now and find it is a very comfortable place to be, particularly on the motorway using the ACC and at least now I don't have my son getting in the front and spending his time pumping the side bolsters up and down!
Golf GTD Manual 5 Door, Carbon Grey.

Offline johnnyvr6

• Here all the time
  • golf v6 4motion soon to be 1.8t'd
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2013, 12:31 »
1 series is the better car imho

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2013, 12:54 »
Interesting to hear from someone that owns both. The motoring press bum the 1 series something chronic, it gets a little tiresome.

For me, I appreciate the technology BMW install, but short of a true M car there is little I would like to own from the BMW range as they're just awful cars to look at. I don't have rose tinted spectacles on and think the VWs are the best looking, but the GTD ticked a lot of boxes on the spec list for me and looks pretty decent.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2013, 13:08 »

I think that's an interesting statement. What I haven't covered is cost and to spec the BMW to the same level as the Golf requires a significant investment.

I'm inclined to disagree, certainly when the BMW has the Bridgestone tyres, the Golf is the better car just... if they had the same standard of tyre it would be very close... but I think in spite of the advantage of the seats and driving position in the BMW, the Golf, all-round is the better car as the driving position and seats in the Golf aren't bad, they're just not as good as in the BMW...

In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Robbo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2013, 14:29 »
What I haven't covered is cost and to spec the BMW to the same level as the Golf requires a significant investment.

This was one of the factors that lead me to the Golf.  I had the option of a 120d Sport on my company car list, but to add what I would consider absolute must's (cruise control, parking sensors) I would have had to shell out £525 for the comfort pack.  That's before we talk about the optional Xenons, 18" wheels - even Climate control! 

You're looking at ~£29k for an equivalent specced 1 series to match the "standard" GTD, which with metallic is ~£26.7k  Couple that with the 2% extra company car tax for the higher CO2 emissions for the BM (although real life may tell a different story :grin:) - for me the GTD was a no brainer and I personally prefer the looks of the Golf too.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the 1 series, the rear wheel drive experience is great (when there's no snow) and so is the driving position.  The iDrive control is also pretty good and the new 1 series is leaps and bounds better than the older one.  For me though, its the whole package of spec, tax implications, looks as well, which is why I went with the Golf and not the 1 series
Golf GTD Manual 5 Door, Carbon Grey.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2013, 14:50 »
As close as I can tell, to spec a 120d M-Sport (not a Sport) to the equivalent spec on the Golf will cost you close to £3k on top of the price of the Golf...

So, if I were a private buyer that would put me off. As a company car user the lower BIK coupled with the lower purchase price (and in my case significantly lower lease cost) made the Golf a no-brainer over the BMW.

The BMW is a fine car but I can only find a couple of things that make it better than the Golf where I can come up with a raft of things that make the Golf better... when you then factor in the cost differences, it makes the thin case for the BMW even more tenuous.

Offline CR4ZYHOR5E

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2013, 18:02 »
I've had a 1 Series for the past (almost) 2 years and its a fine car. I did a LOT of research into my replacement car (due in in April - for some reason the lease term is only 24 months) and considered getting another 1 Series. However the numbers just don't stack up. For whatever reason, a vanilla 118d M Sport (143hp) was roughly comparable (in terms of cost) to the GTD and a vanilla 120d M Sport (181hp) was considerably more expensive than the GTD.

If I wanted to spec either the 118d or 120d to a similar level [to the GTD] I would be paying significantly more money each month (mine is a salary sacrifice scheme).

I ordered a GTD this morning.

Offline johnnyvr6

• Here all the time
  • golf v6 4motion soon to be 1.8t'd
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2013, 18:13 »
rwd is so much more rewarding my 2005 120d is a lot better than any diesel vag I have had ok might not be better specced but

Offline Pob17

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2013, 18:33 »
Similar story here. The GTD on the company car scheme was a no brainer. Zero contribution, lower BIK and significantly better spec made the choice between the GTD, a 120d M Sport, and an A3 S Line really easy.

My wife's car is a new 116i Sport and it is very nice, very chuckable, not convinced the interior quality is up to the GTD based on the 4 day test drive I had in the GTD (quality of some of the plastics and poor standard speakers) but love it all the same.

For pure value for money (on our car scheme) the Golf is hard to go against though - mines due 14 April.  :smiley: