Author Topic: More GTD Reviews needed! ... Please :)  (Read 7163 times)

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
More GTD Reviews needed! ... Please :)
« on: 27 November 2013, 20:02 »
Hey Ladies and gents, i've officially run out of GTD Youtube clips and reviews, and forum posts to read!
Would love more of you who have the car to post your reviews in general, no matter what stage, age or colour! (I'm not gtd'ist in any way! i promise) - just very interested in hear your ups and ups meh, downs. 

Whats it like on what type of roads?
When do you smile the most? (In the car... erm, in the car alone, erm... errr.. dangit... non sexual ones please!)
Why did you choose that colour, what would you change? what would you say is the 1 awesome thing about it?
Is it smooth/rough/fast/slow .... in your opinion?
Is it a good people carrier(ie... more than 2 peeps!), can it tow? how many bikes have you got on your roof/rear?

Anyway, you get the gyst! (And photos always welcome!)

(Not posted in the review section as this is'nt really for links, more actual info for us waiting! :) ) - and for the future us who will be waiting! :P
VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: More GTD Reviews needed! ... Please :)
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2013, 22:04 »
Originally picked DBP as my colour, but then switched to TR as I thought DBP would be a twit to keep clean and would show up swirl marks etc. Thanks to a dealership cock-up, my dad's TR GTD DSG, order (placed a week after mine) was switched to DBP instead of mine going to TR and when they realised their mistake almost a month later, my dad's was getting built and mine was bumped down the queue. I love both colours. Red looks sporty, black looks a bit sinister. My dad got pearl paint for nowt thanks to the dealership error and I have to say it's holding up well with GTechniq C2V3 applied, no swirls etc.

After recently discovering that my car seems faster through the upper gears in Normal than Sport, i'm no longer underwhelmed by the performance (as I was initially). Interior and exterior lighting are amazing - it's a pity I never get to see my rear LEDs!

It is faster than it appears to be, all down to the refinement - you need to be looking at the dials to know what it is doing. Saying that though, I thought it felt less fun than my Scirocco which seemed pushy from 1700 to 3300rpm. You need to drive the GTD a bit differently  - the GTD starts to shove hard from 2200 to 4000 rpm. Wouldn't have even tried driving that way until I saw the Sootchucker supplied torque/power graph for the GTD.

Comfy for 4 people, never tried 5 - could be a bit of a squeeze for 3 in the back.

Smiled today when I left a BMW 320D for dead, going up a very steep and long sliproad onto the A1 with him in the inside lane.Then left him to it when he caught up as i'd sat at 80mph once on the A1, by undertaking 4 cars and almost hitting a wagon - as if that proved a point. Eejit!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2013, 22:13 »
Awesome Monkey! Just what I wanted! :)

Interesting on the colour feck up and changes, both are lovely colours. i personally went for pure white as I've owned too many Silver + Gray cars, and black would be hard to clean. (although looks awesome) - also, 3 Red GTI mk7 TDI's at work! so needed something new :) - and i knew my mum would hate it! (Ok, it doesn't matter how old you are, your mum always complains about you owning white things!)

Great description of the gears and driving experience, never owned a diesel or VW, so will be new to me entirely. Have a nice 30 -> 40 -> 60 -> 70 limit road right outside where it is being delivered, so should have a nice early run (albeit, aware of warming up the car gently)

4 should be good, and possibly 4+ child in the back, hoping that will be ok too. (Without child seat, as old/tall enough without.)

Loving the smile moment :)

I remember when alot younger in my bro's Fiesta RS turbo, a Pug gti opened windows and swore at my xr2i... hmmm, oh the joys when he had no wheel to stand on 1/4m down the road :P  - but with the gtd, i'm not expecting a Porsche beater, I'm expecting smoother(than my punto) - Nicer(than my old Mg, punto, fiesta, etc etc) - quicker than the average yogi... but not a neck or back killer :) - hoping i'm right! :)

Great review sir, thank you!
VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2013, 11:43 »
...but with the gtd, i'm not expecting a Porsche beater
Good... because it won't be that
I'm expecting smoother(than my punto)
Yes, not too difficult
Nicer(than my old Mg, punto, fiesta, etc etc)
Again, not too much to ask
quicker than the average yogi... but not a neck or back killer :) - hoping i'm right! :)

I reckon you are :grin:

Sounds like you, at least, have reasonable expectations  :cool:

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2013, 13:07 »
depend what Porsche your hoping to beat  :grin: you'll surprise a lot of other cars and tosspots who think it's slow.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2013, 13:28 »
depend what Porsche your hoping to beat  :grin: you'll surprise a lot of other cars and tosspots who think it's slow.

I guess you're right... it'll be faster than a 924 2.0 and about as fast as a 924S and 944 2.5 and close to a 2.5 Boxster... in a straight line... anything more modern than that will be beyond the Mark VII GTD

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2013, 13:42 »
This car is a gem, it really is! As standard it comes with everything youd ever really need.

The acceleration as few people have said at the lower gears, especially 1st and 2nd, isnt great but what would you expect its a diesel. 3rd gear is when it shifts, even in 6th gear it seems to pull. Not saying this car is the fastest youl ever drive but it packs a punch and will put most cars to shame. I came from a 140 Audi A3 and it was a great car, but this GTD for over all build quality (interior and exterior) puts the A3 easily in second place. Only gripe is on a full tank in the A3 (£65) i got a range of circa 600/650 miles, the GTD which i filled up fully today (£58) has a shoddy range in comparison!!!!! MPG currently sitting at 42 which i can almost live with, however this fluctuates at the drop of a hat.

Its a head turner this car, especially with the lights on and in deep black pearl effect, it looks the dogs bollocks!!!!!!!! Its a fecking nightmare to keep clean though. Had this 2 weeks now and ive washed it 3 times. If i could change, the only colour id change to would be carbon grey.

Photos do not do this car justice...end of. Its a great car and you wont be dissappointed
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2013, 16:24 »
Nothing really bad to say about the GTD really.

Sure it's not the quickest thing on four wheels (if you want quicker in a Golf  - get a GTI or an R), but still not slow - in fact far from it. Coupled with the DSG gearbox (which I think is made for the diesels narrowish torque band compared to a petrol), it bloody flies, and feels very much quicker than my previous 140 CR Scirocco.

MPG seems to be settling down with along term average over the 2100 miles of 47.1, and when you consider that 70% of that is commuting, I can't really complain. Obviously the cold weather will have an impact if I use the PET heater, heated seats, heated rear window, etc, and the car will take longer to warm up, but I'm sure it will even itself out with the spring and summer runs.

As others had said, it just feel sort of...right, when you sit in it. Seats are supremely comfortable with adequate support, seating position perfect, and a very elegant and more importantly ergonomic dash, make driving it a real pleasure.You also tend to forget how safe the car is (as it's generally considered boring), but with adaptive cruise control, city emergency braking, 7 air bags, powerful brakes, fatigue detection, superb headlights, sorted chassis will excellent traction etc. etc., it really is a safe place to be.

Although priced higher than most of the competition, the GTD is a very well equipped car with lots of standard kit (even without raiding the options list).

Overall then, a solid performer, very quiet and comfortable to drive, and very safe as well. Lots of good points.

Negatives....

Very few to be honest, and most of them are not the fault of the car but VW UK's decisions about UK spec.

Would be nice to have the option of Leather / Alcantera seats as our Irish and European cousins get. Likewise, why we can't get lane assist (with the inherent traffic sign recognition) in the UK, but is available everywhere else is beyond me.

Also, the colour pallet is just a little limited with only one blue (the midnight blue) and the metallic red not available at all, and Onyx White ridiculously priced.

Finally, taking a leaf from Audi (in their S-Line A3 model), seats with extending squabs would be nice (it is an option on the continent), as whilst as I said the seats are very good, for those long in the leg, it would make them just about perfect. and lastly, come on VW, if you are going to supply your premium Golf models with a colour DIS screen, perhaps you might want to think about using some colour in the screens. Apart form the door open warning, pretty much everything else is monochrome - a wasted opportunity methinks.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2013, 16:43 »
totally agree Andrew spot on.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2013, 21:09 »
Noob monkey, my recommendation is...once your car is run in and up to temp...don't nanny it. The car is far more capable than many of us dare drive it around corners...not many will drive their cars quick enough to keep up...most others will pull over and let you pass when driving at speed and, as everyone else has said...you have no idea how fast you are going until you check the speedo. You can't really ask for anymore spec and when I checked the car out when parked in Bath yesterday...boy it looked awesome. I have a pure with with 19's but on reflection, even though pw is fantastic, wish I had gone for csg
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist