Author Topic: Key coding?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
Key coding?
« on: 01 March 2011, 17:18 »
Evening,

I am assuming this can be done through VAGCOM, so the question is, who can do it, and more importantly, I'm planning on getting a couple of keys, but does anyone know how they are cut to the car? Is it the same way house keys are done?

Any help is grand.

Cheers.  :cool:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Re: Key coding?
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2011, 18:16 »
With key cutting it can be done by any highstreet locksmith/cutters. I asked in Timpsons on Saturday actually as I was passing, they wanted £35 unless you bring your own blank key, and then its just £8. For all the Mk3 boys out there, there was a thread with a link recently to ebay from a US seller, for the Mk3 - Mk4 adapted key for the fob. Think that was about £11 including delivery so all in all, far cheeper than Timpsons! Not sure about coding the immobiliser though sorry!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2011, 18:27 »
I realise I've left something out of the post.

I'm looking at the flip keys, as mine has only got one of it's own, and would like to get a new one, and a spare (well two as I'll keep the original)

Is the process for getting those cut any different as they don't look like they can be done by the usual method. :undecided:

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2011, 18:37 »
You can buy the flip keys off ebay with the electronics.
You will need vag tacho or something similar to get the SKC code if you want to match the keys using VAG com.
How old is your car? 2005 or newer use a different system which can only be done at the dealer.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2011, 18:53 »
55 Plate pissrat.

I've seen the fobs on ebay, and will be ordering a couple shortly. Question is, are all of the key patterns the same, or do they require removing from the body and being cut to the same as the original?

I can get to a couple of places with the software to code them ok, was just wondering if it was only VAGCOM required or anything else.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2011, 18:57 »
stick a PM to 88RSR on your new home  :tongue:

Send him my regards, I am sure he will be able to sort you out and  he is in sheffield  :wink:

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2011, 19:02 »
2005 and newer won't work on VAG com, dealer only unfortunately.
The keys can be cut like any other key as far as i know.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS