Author Topic: Advice on my mk2 golf please  (Read 718 times)

Offline outwit

• Just got here
Advice on my mk2 golf please
« on: 29 September 2009, 23:33 »
Howdy.

Recently picked up a mk2 golf 1.6 with no mot. - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=130556.0

I have 0 knowledge on golfs and it was a bit of an impulse buy so im after some advice please. It runs okay but i'm going to give it a service (All fluids,filters,spark plugs and cambelt) Are there any other neccesitys you would recommend servicing on a 20year old car that's been sat for a year?

The paintwork is red and its a bit faded and blotchy, what can i use to bring out the colour again?

I can't stand the wheels at the moment, and in an ideal world i'd get some genuine VW multispoke type things.. what wheels/size would you recommend? I want the arches to look full and not like the cars on stilts as it looks at the moment.

Sorry these questions are a bit basic but i'm relatively new to mechanics/cars.

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
Re: Advice on my mk2 golf please
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2009, 16:32 »
Check, and clean the brakes. Descale the discs. Replace pads, discs and shoes as necessary. Adjust shoes if required.

Check for play in steering. Check any suspension bushes and that the cv boot gaitors are intact

Check the exhaust for leaks, and make sure the mountings haven't perished

Check operation of all lights and electrics.

The main problems you will experience if the car has been stood for a year is perished rubber - so in addition to the above, check tyre sidewalls for cracking, and check the door and window seals for leaks. The engine bay should be quite well protected, but have a good look at any rubber pipes or hoses under here. I'd recommend a cooling system flush (or two) and new coolant if it's not been used for a year.

As for the paint, try some t-cut. If it doesn't work, you may need something a little stronger. Whatever you use, make sure you protect it well once you're done to stop it fading again! If you search in the cosmetic matters forum, there's some advice in there on how to deal with tornado pink.

Also check the arches and valences for rust that may have got worse over the past year.
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6