Author Topic: End of warranty?  (Read 1938 times)

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: End of warranty?
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2024, 16:43 »
Cheers SRGTD.   So VW are even meaner than I thought.

I'll have to get AA or RAC cover then and add it to the holiday cost.   
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Salamanca

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2024, 21:51 »
How I wish I'd gone for the extended warranty!

Mine expired end of February.

2 weeks later, the bongs started again, worse than ever before, took it to the dealer and the replacement steering wheel has now failed again and needs another replacement at £545.00.

Because the part has previously been replaced, VW UK are doing a 70% 'goodwill contribution' with my dealer chipping in the remainder.

Fast forward another week and I'm getting 2 new front tyres fitted at a tyre centre then the fitter comes back in to reception and tells me I have a coolant leak at the water pump.

So I find my nearest VW dealership (working away from home) and they diagnose a leaking water pump/thermostat assembly.
That is being fitted tomorrow for the princely sum of £1150.

That warranty looks good value now and I'm kicking myself for not taking the option...

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 25 March 2024, 22:20 »
How I wish I'd gone for the extended warranty!

Mine expired end of February.

2 weeks later, the bongs started again, worse than ever before, took it to the dealer and the replacement steering wheel has now failed again and needs another replacement at £545.00.

Because the part has previously been replaced, VW UK are doing a 70% 'goodwill contribution' with my dealer chipping in the remainder.

Fast forward another week and I'm getting 2 new front tyres fitted at a tyre centre then the fitter comes back in to reception and tells me I have a coolant leak at the water pump.

So I find my nearest VW dealership (working away from home) and they diagnose a leaking water pump/thermostat assembly.
That is being fitted tomorrow for the princely sum of £1150.

That warranty looks good value now and I'm kicking myself for not taking the option...

I thought the faulty/leaking thermostat housings were a thing of the past?! Surely they’re not still using the same part?
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline Salamanca

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2024, 22:36 »
I don't know if the thermostat/water pump part has changed but the dealer did say that the new steering wheel replacements are updated and that is part of the reason for the 'good will' payment.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2024, 10:43 »
I have taken that "all in deal" to extend my warranty.

Water pump is a big concern, but thats not a VW issue really. Water and metal, its always going to break at some point even if you don't drive the damned thing much.

My son's Mini has just needed a new one too... also eye watering expensive btw.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Salamanca

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2024, 11:49 »
A sensible move, Fred.

Awesome GTI quoted £850 for the genuine VW part including labour-I know I'm being shafted by the dealer but I don't want to drive the car any distance with a coolant leak.

The dealer down here quoted me for the 2 front tyres (Bridgestone Potenza Sport 235/35ZR19) and it worked out at £100 extra per tyre compared to the independent tyre centre that I used for identical tyres!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2024, 18:20 »
Firstly, well done for bringing this to everyone’s attention Salamanca as it’s a good warning to all and a reminder not to take any sort of reliability for granted.
Secondly there’s no darned way a major component failing a month outside of warranty (water pump) could be described as ‘fit for purpose’. VW should be picking up that bill.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 05 April 2024, 09:07 »
Johnsons VW who now own all trust group dealers have put up labour rates to £140 per hour now.

Extended warranty is a no brainer imo.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 05 April 2024, 11:23 »
We bought a 2019 R last Sept through VW approved, so have till Sept 2025 with all in warranty, but car will be over 6 years then and so we will not be able to take out the All In option, but think you can take warranty out till 10 years on an annual basis and given the car type and figures quoted here for repairs, this will be definitely something doing Sept 2025.

EDIT: It seems mileage based, so doubt this car goes over 80,000 miles in next ten years, and has FVWSH and will continue to be, so should be able to cover year on year till its at least 10-12 years old.

To be eligible to benefit from this cover, you must confirm the following statements are correct:

You don't live in the Isle of Man or the Channel Isles
You are not in the motor trade or deal with the buying, selling or repairing of motor vehicles
Your vehicle must not be used for hire or reward, public services (e.g. emergency services), professional instruction, competition or off-road use, motor rally, speed or duration tests or any practice for these events
Your vehicle has not done more than 100,000 miles
Your vehicle was not manufactured by anyone other than Volkswagen
Your vehicle is not a kit car, grey import or powered by fuel cell(s) or LPG
Your vehicle has not been modified from the manufacturers' specification (manufacturer fitted optional extras are not classed as being a modification)
You must make sure your vehicle is serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's schedule
Your vehicle is not a pre-series or special series vehicle (limited editions with less than 200 vehicles produced)
« Last Edit: 05 April 2024, 11:30 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 05 April 2024, 11:26 »
Johnsons VW who now own all trust group dealers have put up labour rates to £140 per hour now.

Extended warranty is a no brainer imo.

My local VW (Marshalls) is currently £156 per hour...  :sick:
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours