Author Topic: Engine cover!  (Read 32102 times)

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
Engine cover!
« on: 21 December 2022, 08:23 »
Just got a 21 plate mk8 GTI and engine cover is missing as all others just wondered what the situation was with the covers?

I know of the recall and why so did you just have to remove you own covers and return them to vw or just bin them or take car in and it was taken by them and a until a replacement is available?

Presume there will never be a replacement one but if there is do you have to buy it or will it be FOC but only to original owner or if car still in warranty.

Anyone sorted a decent replacement one yet.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Engine cover!
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2022, 09:18 »
Recall notice issued for engine covers.... either you removed it yourself or next time you see a dealer they will do it.

No replacement designed/made yet by VW.... apparently its coming sometime...

Not a surprise to see yours missing (so is mine, dealer took it last time it was in)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2022, 11:28 »
New deliveries are now arriving with engine covers from factory. I highly doubt that VW will be ringing around offering to fit the new one so it’ll be on you to badger your dealer for it

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2022, 11:46 »
New deliveries are now arriving with engine covers from factory. I highly doubt that VW will be ringing around offering to fit the new one so it’ll be on you to badger your dealer for it

Just called up they said they don't know of a replacement as yet but if new ones are coming with covers there must be a new version
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2022, 12:49 »
Anyone had a new one delivered with the latest cover they would care to post a pic of?
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2022, 13:36 »
Anyone had a new one delivered with the latest cover they would care to post a pic of?

Not seen one, but I understand from discussions on other VAG forums the latest cover looks the same as the previous version, but the attachment points on the underside are more sturdy.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2022, 13:37 »
Maybe we should start a poll of how many of us are waiting for a replacement and then forward it to VW (somehow).  For them to ignore. :smiley:
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2022, 17:07 »

The new covers look exactly like the old ones, apart from the mounting points being differently designed, instead of the hole the ball sockets push into simply being moulded from the same material as the cover itself, they have a harder white material at these points that don’t soften with engine heat and therefor stay in place, new cars are now being delivered with these covers fitted.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2022, 18:38 »
You can try asking but I suspect the part is on an infinite back order...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2022, 14:28 »
For a car of that value and no engine cover lol :rolleyes:

MK7 GTi