Author Topic: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!  (Read 100049 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!
« Reply #200 on: 30 April 2012, 18:19 »
One side nearly done realised the steering boot on the tie rod end is finsihed so stopped work until I can replace it!

Didnt have much grief with the new stuff, except sometimes I can be a dumpty and stick the ball joint the wrong way round  :laugh: :lipsrsealed:
De rusted the hub and primered the old ones and ARB also.

Not sure about the positions of the ARB bush I think it should be more inner position?

Had sometime to clean up the suspension mounts primered and then Atlas paint not my best work, but its to stop rust coming back, as the top cap will be under there.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #201 on: 04 May 2012, 20:12 »
Update:
Boots are on and one strut is on. But came to another bumper stop.
Not sure if its me or the NR side Tie rod end lock nut just would not go on the ball joint!
I managed easily enough RH side a bit of downward force caught the taper and bolted right up.
The NR side refused to catch and I mushroomed the thread just to get it off again.
I tried another lock nut and it seemed better pitch on it.
I think the lock nut I used had a different pitch and fu*ked the threads so will have either to argue another tie rod end or spend more money on a new one what a pain in the arse!
Tired and ill with man flu  :cry: 

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #202 on: 04 May 2012, 22:11 »
Booo, gd job though jay

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #203 on: 05 May 2012, 20:20 »
Trial fitted the G60 280mm brakes and spot on no pinching flowed freely!
Starting to take shape way better than when I first started  :lipsrsealed:

Tie rod needs a coat of paint will do that at somepoint!
Still waiting for a part Tuesday now  :smiley:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #204 on: 08 May 2012, 23:23 »
Parts arrived today Tie rod end up bolted right up no problems!
All collies are bolted into position not sure if they are wound to the right height correctly :undecided:
Started to take the rears off and found a few things a miss bearings disc even sub Axel needed looking at!
Tommorow picking up VAG dust splash shields, bearings kit and a few other parts to sort the rears oh yeah new disc and pads.
Cleaning up the rear beam as I go along, but the rust is just killing me  :rolleyes:
Rear calipers & carriers are okay not going to stick MK4's can't see any reasons to do it TBF?
Some primer and paint will see them right!
The union bolt is stuck fast and rounded so I've decided to cut the pipe back to re flare the ends with a new union nut.

Makes you wanna stick your finger in  :grin:

Top tip make sure you have at least 15" alloys for rolling purposes when you upgrade the front brakes as my steelie are 14" well....... :grin:

My 17"'s need a refurb so no use at the moment!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #205 on: 09 May 2012, 08:21 »
It would look better on g60 steals jay, gd job so far aswell

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #206 on: 09 May 2012, 18:15 »
Yeah I need some 16" with tyres just to work on her at the moment  :sad:
G60 steels are a good choice I could get them from vAg for like £30 each but then tyres on top what £80?
Thats nearly £400 just to push it about  :grin:
Another issue is I need a new dust boot for the rear piston 38mm only VAG have them @ £20+VAT  :shocked:
Part no. 8D0 698 671 If anyone knows where I can just buy a bloody piston boot Girling please let me know?
More expensive parts arrive  :lipsrsealed:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #207 on: 09 May 2012, 18:59 »
I can get u tyres a lot cheaper than that. Probs get the steals cheaper aswell, and u could keep them longterm as they would look real nice on ur 2.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #208 on: 09 May 2012, 19:09 »
Liam find out what you can mate, its more being practical for me than sticking £800 17" on just to work on her  :lipsrsealed:
A few people have offered to lend a set of G60's but I really need something just to roll with.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #209 on: 09 May 2012, 19:44 »
195/50/15s? budgets i take it or you want some tr1s for keeps, ill also ring tps  see wat there sayin for trade o the g60 steals buddy