Author Topic: Golf mk6 gti pcv valve faults (low oil pressure)  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Domdomgti23

• Not said much yet
Golf mk6 gti pcv valve faults (low oil pressure)
« on: 11 August 2023, 16:35 »
Had low oil pressure on golf and pulled over when safe to do so, once recovered home i checked engine to find oil level low but also oil under engine cover and around oil filler.

Have replaced pcv valve and topped up oil, its now not losing any oil but still says oil pressure low when warm and coming to a stop..

Can anyone help? Are the two above issues related or just bad luck? Ive read about balance shaft failure etc, would this also break pcv valve?

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
Re: Golf mk6 gti pcv valve faults (low oil pressure)
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2023, 18:26 »
I had the same thing, turned out that I had a couple of gaskets that had gone.

Offline Domdomgti23

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2023, 18:55 »
Ah ok thank you when you say gaskets? Was that the rocker cover gasket? Im just stuck at the mo and i can seem to get much info on pcv failure and what else it might damage

Offline Domdomgti23

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2023, 23:17 »
If anyone else has any info it would be really helpful.

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2023, 10:38 »
Timing cover and rocker cover gaskets.

Offline Domdomgti23

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2023, 11:58 »
Ok great thank you for your reply, i would like a garage to have a look at it, everytime i mention low oil pressure they jump on thats its prob the balance shafts, it seems £1200 is alot of money if it could be something more simpler like gaskets etc. I just wasnt sure if the pcv could or would cause low oil pressure, and if the pcv would blow any gaskets that would cause the pressure warning. Hopefully its a cheaper fix than balance shaft replacement

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2023, 12:17 »
The pvc valve failure causes a pressure rise and it finds the weakest seals to release the pressure. This normally end up being the main real crankshaft seal into the gearbox as they are a week design. If the pcv valve has failed for a while first thing I would check is there is not an oil leak under the car on the bottom of the gearbox were it mates to the engine. There is a ruff vent hole cast into this surface that let's clutch dust out but it also let's then oil leak from the rear main seal leak out too.  :grin:
If it turn out to be the rear main seal I would replace with an aftermarket one as the OEM needs a special tool and skill to fit and a lot of places don't do it right and it ends up leaking again.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2023, 12:19 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Domdomgti23

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2023, 13:21 »
Thank you for this information, atleast i can explain whats happened and hopefully a garage can investigate gaskets and seals before they start taking out balance shafts etc, the car has no strange noises or nocking so i was just stumped to be told its probably balance shafts and your looking at over £1200.
Ive been losing sleep especailly when i heard the word (probably) and the amount.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2023, 16:07 »
https://youtu.be/P9VOI9myJiw
Worth watching for more info if you do have a main seal leak which I suspect you may if yye pcv had failed.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2023, 16:59 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Domdomgti23

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2023, 18:08 »
Thank you, thats the information you need in a video i also watched the pcv one as well...will save the channel on youtube

Went out and saw the rear pipe on pcv valve wasnt seated,sealed correctly...the rubber o ring looked way too big prob from engine heat, but also the clips hit another pipe and it wants to come away...ive refitted with old o ring and move pipe from hitting it, went out for a drive and didnt hear any engine warnings, will test drive again tommorow