Author Topic: GTI cutting out, oil light flashes  (Read 171519 times)

Offline dixie180

• Here all the time
  • Mk3 8v Gti,Mystic Blue the best colour.
Re: GTI cutting out, oil light flashes
« Reply #420 on: 25 October 2012, 16:52 »
Hi IndyJ13,just developed the same problem with my 8v Gti.Cuts out when oil temp gets to about 70 degrees,oil light flashing and takes a few turns to get started again.Replaced ECU relay 30,no difference.Asked my local vw mechanic if it could be the crank sensor but he didnt seem to think so.Booked the car in with him to have a look anyway so will let you know.

Rob

As suspected,crank shaft cable worn back to the wires half way along the cable.£47 for the cable plus fitting cost.The golf now back on the road. :cool:

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #421 on: 07 February 2016, 22:47 »
Just thought I'd add my two cents and keep this amazing thread alive...

I developed similar running issues which progressively worsened until the obvious happened; I broke down.

In a nutshell, I read this entire thread beginning to end and short-listed possible causes and fixes.

The crank position sensor went to the top of that list, which I ordered and fitted over a week ago.
Touch wood, she hasn't skipped a beat since.

Offline bkjdbkjd

• Just got here
« Reply #422 on: 17 August 2017, 15:08 »
Crank sensor on my 1997 GTI was destroyed and gave me this very issue. The lead had split and broken so much it must have been shorting. Suggest replacing crank sensor, air-filter and clean the air intake/ mass airflow sensor. Bingo, all good. Runs better than before.

I recommend replacing the ECU relay (30) if you've still got problems.

It's worth mentioning this issue would only happen with the oil temperature past 80; the rev counter would stutter (up and down, whilst ticking) before dropping to 0 and cutting out the engine. Try monitoring your oil temp and see when it cuts out.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2017, 17:11 by bkjdbkjd »