Author Topic: MK7 Launch Edition  (Read 2752 times)

Offline GKR47

• Not said much yet
MK7 Launch Edition
« on: 10 December 2023, 10:34 »
Ive seen a few mk7s advertised as Launch editions. Can anyone please confirm the differences.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: MK7 Launch Edition
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2023, 12:57 »
No adaptive cruise. Sensor under the front number plate is missing.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2023, 13:04 »
As Guzzle says, no radar cruise or city braking.
These were the initial batch of dealer demos from early 2013, here’s the one my local dealer had in, check out the lower front grille

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2023, 13:49 »
I didn't know these were offered. Term brings to mind a full loaded car rather than one that appears inferior. Upside is no radar to knicked.

Offline GKR47

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2023, 07:51 »
Thanks for your replies. It makes sense that it refers to an early model but I have seen some 2016 models advertised as Launch editions. Maybe just sales talk!!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2023, 09:00 »
I didn't know these were offered. Term brings to mind a full loaded car rather than one that appears inferior. Upside is no radar to knicked.

I’d be surprised if a new model at launch would be fully loaded over the car’s standard spec. Normally with a new model at launch time, increased customer interest will mean the car will pretty much sell itself without the need to add lots of additional kit.

Fully loading models tends to happen at the end of a car’s lifecycle to help shift remaining cars before the launch of the new replacement model.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 09:18 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2023, 09:18 »
Thanks for your replies. It makes sense that it refers to an early model but I have seen some 2016 models advertised as Launch editions. Maybe just sales talk!!

I seem to remember the first UK mk7 Golf’s arrived around the beginning of 2013 so for a 2016 car to be described as a Launch Edition around three years after launch seems really strange. Could the cars you’ve seen advertised as Launch Editions be 66 plate (as opposed to 2016 registered) early mk7.5 facelift cars? From memory mk7.5 facelift appeared on the scene in the UK in early 2017 so would’ve been on a 66 plate - some dealers in the motor trade might refer to those early mk7.5’s as Launch Edition cars. They didn’t get any special / extra equipment though to warrant a ‘Launch Edition’ title.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Lima29

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2023, 09:49 »
Just had a look on Auto Trader and there’s 6 cars on there described as “Launch Editions”.

One is a 13 plate car and doesn’t have the radar as described above, so probably one of the earliest.

But, the other 5 have the radar and there’s two 15 plates, two 16 plates and a 65 plate - so they’re not early ones and definitely before the facelift. So the theory of a facelift launch car seems to be wrong.

A bit of Googling brings up a fair few references to Launch Edition, but nothing that explains what it actually is! 🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 10:00 by Lima29 »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2023, 10:21 »
Just had a look on Auto Trader and there’s 6 cars on there described as “Launch Editions”.

One is a 13 plate car and doesn’t have the radar as described above, so probably one of the earliest.

But, the other 5 have the radar and there’s two 15 plates, two 16 plates and a 65 plate - so they’re not early ones and definitely before the facelift. So the theory of a facelift launch car seems to be wrong.

A bit of Googling brings up a fair few references to Launch Edition, but nothing that explains what it actually is! 🤷‍♂️

Seems like it’s just motor trade marketing hype then to entice would-be buyers……….
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Cozmo

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2023, 12:31 »
This seems to be the mystery of the ages.

I have a 2015 "launch" and it seems to be identified as such in the vehicle database - e.g. my insurance documents say "GTi launch".  Mine has ACC.

I have spent a while trying to work out what "launch" meant but have been unable to find a definitive answer.  I did see a lot of them while looking for the GTi I wanted - something as "back to basics" as possible for a mk7 - which is perhaps a clue to my theory:

These were the first mk7's off the production line and had a little to no options - i.e. they weren't customer orders.  It seems early one's had no ACC (changed sometime in 2013) and they are mainly 3-doors.  Due to this "basic" spec and most customers wanting to add options, they hung around for a while and some were not registered until later in the mk7 cycle.

Would be nice if it could be confirmed 100%.
2015 GTi - 3 door - Pure White - Manual
Previous (before a Golf hiatus)
2008 GTi - 5 door - Reflex Silver - Manual
2007 GT - 5 door - Steel Grey - DSG