Author Topic: Is there a brake pad wear sensor?  (Read 568 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Is there a brake pad wear sensor?
« on: 16 August 2022, 15:16 »
I have a 7.5 PP, the brakes AFAIK are as they were from the factory. When I had the car MOTed around 6mo ago, I had some advisories on discs and pads. I've been meaning to get around to it, but they've seemed fine, need to take a closer look at some point.

Is there a sensor that will tell me when they really need doing, or is it a manual check job?

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Is there a brake pad wear sensor?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2022, 15:34 »
There is a sensor on one of the front pads, you will get the yellow icon on the dash when the wear indicator is activated. Even then, you have 2,000miles (ish) before you need to change them. On my Gti the rear pads wear faster than the fronts so worth checking them manually. Better to take the wheel off so as to be able to fully inspect the inner pad along with the outer.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Is there a brake pad wear sensor?
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2022, 15:37 »
There is a sensor on one of the front pads, you will get the yellow icon on the dash when the wear indicator is activated. Even then, you have 2,000miles (ish) before you need to change them. On my Gti the rear pads wear faster than the fronts so worth checking them manually. Better to take the wheel off so as to be able to fully inspect the inner pad along with the outer.

Ok thanks. That coincides with what I've been reading lately, but I was under the impression that there wasn't a sensor at all so I wasn't waiting for a warning that wasn't ever going to come!

I've been looking for an excuse to get a jack and some stands, this might be it