Author Topic: Reflections  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Reflections
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2022, 13:38 »
Haha, well done Nuggsy71.
I’ve bored my kids numerous times with that line- when they’ve needlessly got the lights on
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2022, 13:55 »
Been on many forums, for varying interests, and since moved from Audi Forum in 2013 as jumped to a GTD, this place has felt like home, and most days have a peek at the conversations, which imagine are gold dust to someone looking for a second hand MK 7, all the pitfalls have been fallen down and all the what good looks like has been discussed.

Did have pleasure of meeting a bunch of folk from the forum at the Caffeine and Machine last year, always good to see a gaggle of assorted GTI

Did think that my GTI days were numbered but another slight change in circumstance has me positioned to keep the TCR now, so hopefully be in my ownership come October, but not getting too excited till money exchanged and the V5 has my name on it.

Did specify this car as potential keeper and ticks all the must haves that took from the GTD and the R, of DSG, DCC and was specified with the concept car in mind, so stuck to the signature colour, with the Reifnitz/Performance Pack. Did add the climate screen which on few occasion have used has worked brilliantly. The TCR would be the car would have specified right at outset and feel quite fortunate to have had it as my ride for last near 3 years.

Will say the GTD was a ridiculously good car, did more miles then and regularly exceeded 50MPG and it was lively enough for anyone and the R was brilliant also.

St.Andrews on a 1100 mile Scotland Trip

Caffeine & Machine GTi Forum Meet

« Last Edit: 03 August 2022, 14:02 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2022, 10:34 »
Always wanted a GTI since I was a kid and they first came out but couldn’t afford one. Spent 10 years wearing grooves in motorways in repmobiles followed by a journey into ‘Premium’ cars such as BMW, MB and Land Rover. Saw the light in 2018 and ordered a PP with DSG and the Climate screen as the only options. I had to wait 6 months for it due to all the WLTP malarkey but well worth the wait. Only do about 4k pa now and it still ticks the boxes and then some. Can’t see any reason to change TBH.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2022, 10:43 »
I will probably be putting my GTi PP up for sale in the not too distant future. It is a great car in many ways but I haven't bonded with it.  :cry:

« Last Edit: 04 August 2022, 10:50 by symonh2000 »
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

chopper216

« Reply #14 on: 04 August 2022, 11:11 »
I am new to all this as I purchased my first ever GTI at 47 years old back last September, mid life crisis!. I had never even considered a GTI but took one look at it, done a test drive and was hooked. It’s my daily driver and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I’m biased but I think the Mk 7 & 7.5 look fantastic, ultimately I’d love to own a TCR in red, my favourite looking Golf. I think this forum is great for picking up tips and everyone is helpful so far. I would change the seats in mine if I could to the bucket ones in place of the heated leather, I hope the forum stays alive as I will continue to seek help as a GTI amateur.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 04 August 2022, 14:48 »
Hertsman….. after seeing pics of your fabulous TCR, I might have to revisit my opening comments on
wheel sizes!

And to all readers and contributors……..I’m glad my “pub” conversation has provided some light entertainment and encouraged some nice replies.

The forum isn’t just about airing concerns or sharing “tips”. It is about belonging to a community and my topic was just to keep up the sense of being part.

I think I might just sneak another crafty pint before I go home ( on foot, of course  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:)

2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 August 2022, 15:16 »
My 7.5 GTI is one of the higher spec ones, pan roof, Brescia 19's, leather, dynaudio, climate windscreen, pro-nav, rear camera, 3 door, dsg and performance pack or probably the quintessential mk7.5 GTI . It does everything I need whilst doing similar mpg (I regularly see 40mpg on 19s) to my old 1.4 petrol polo but with triple the power.

I wouldn't make any changes to my car but I will acknowledge that the 5 door version has a nicer driving position with the shorter door cards.

Despite this ultimately I probably should've bought the Edition 40 I saw for sale 2 months after I purchased my 7.5 as it had all the spec i wanted plus bucket seats, but then i'd not want to drive it so silver linings  :smiley: I do enjoy the looks of the TCR but feel it doesn't represent what a GTI is with it's aggressive bodykit on a otherwise standard looking golf.

Terms of 18s versus 19s, I enjoy the belvederes I use in winter and will be swapping the tyres to all-season or summer tyres when the winters are done so I can use them more as they're superb to drive on, but I love my brescias and would be my only set of alloys if I were forced to only have 1 set...and not 6  :whistle:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2022, 15:35 »
Willni, do you notice any difference in steering or handling due to the lighter unspring weight of the belvederes vs the Brescia wheels on the same car?

I have another car (non GTi) and switch between Speedline, 3 piece split rims and BBS one piece lightweight wheels both on 18"s and the BBS make a positive difference in the drive.

My CS came with Brescia, which I like the look of, I would have specced Belvederes from new, but 19" & Dcc fitted fit in with the CS-S ethos?

One extra I have come to quite like, which I would not have specced from new is the 90% rear tint, it fits in with the black roof & mirrors as well as additional security when carrying something in the rear.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 04 August 2022, 16:02 »
Willni, do you notice any difference in steering or handling due to the lighter unspring weight of the belvederes vs the Brescia wheels on the same car?

I have another car (non GTi) and switch between Speedline, 3 piece split rims and BBS one piece lightweight wheels both on 18"s and the BBS make a positive difference in the drive.

My CS came with Brescia, which I like the look of, I would have specced Belvederes from new, but 19" & Dcc fitted fit in with the CS-S ethos?

One extra I have come to quite like, which I would not have specced from new is the 90% rear tint, it fits in with the black roof & mirrors as well as additional security when carrying something in the rear.

Steering feedback and handling I would same are noticeably better, especially in the corners.

The CS-S set it's Nurburgring record on 19 inch Pretorias with DCC set to Comfort so it, I think the reasoning was to use the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s. As long as it's lightweight I'd argue it fits with its ethos.

In terms of the CS any alloy fits with it's ethos, it's not starving itself of a back seat to go faster. It's an enthusiasts car through and through to be used day to day.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 04 August 2022, 16:30 »
As I thought on the Belvederes, on that basis why the love for the Brescia if the Belvederes offer a better driving experience?

Appearance is subjective, but it's not as if the Belvedere is a bad looking wheel?

I am not a fan of Cup 2's on a road car, fine for track heat cycles, but less impressive on standing water in my experience!