Author Topic: Next car purchase following Mk7/7.5?  (Read 11124 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Next car purchase following Mk7/7.5?
« Reply #20 on: 18 July 2022, 15:13 »
There's a common theme emerging of there's nothing really worth moving onto from a 7.5 gti / tcr unless it's got more cylinders.

Given there's been a Hyundai Ioniq N announced I'd temporarily hold off on moving, as better real world electric cars are starting to come out, unless you get a lotto win then go buy a Porsche.

With the exception of the bit about the Ioniq N, this post pretty much sums up my situation right now.

Would love something that made a better noise, but running costs too high right now.

Would be happy to go electric, but tech is moving fast and prices are expensive.

911 is a dream car

Online clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 18 July 2022, 17:20 »
You ask the question, what are you buying?......
Right now nothing seems comparable, I am happy enough with the ED40, in that newer cars have features I don't need such as SOS & Lane assist etc....

The Golf is the sensible car and have had 911's for almost 30 years, although I have only driven the Pork this month, if I had the have one car, the GTI for it's overall talents & practicality would be the one!

If you have a good example of a mk 7 /7.5 you are happy with, it's a great car to hang on to, for now? :)

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 19 July 2022, 15:57 »
You ask the question, what are you buying?......
Right now nothing seems comparable, I am happy enough with the ED40, in that newer cars have features I don't need such as SOS & Lane assist etc....

The Golf is the sensible car and have had 911's for almost 30 years, although I have only driven the Pork this month, if I had the have one car, the GTI for it's overall talents & practicality would be the one!

If you have a good example of a mk 7 /7.5 you are happy with, it's a great car to hang on to, for now? :)

That's me.  MK7 PP. I have my preferred amount of doors, DSG in Red. Had the ECU and TCU REVO'd and I'm very happy. My Nephew has the new GTI. I like it a lot but it's not for me. Guess it's an age thing.

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 19 July 2022, 18:26 »
I also feel exactly the same as many in this thread have already said  my previous car was a mk6 GTI 5 door tornado red DSG with some nice options.
Covered 62k in in it only issue i had was new inlet manifold under warranty, did everything well,, I loved the car.
Looked at many other cars to swop it for but none ticked all the boxes as well as my GTI.

When I test drove  a mk7.5 GTI performance
I ordered one Issac blue, DSG, Brescia's 90% tints rear camera. dynamic chassis.
Delivery was march 18 still own it today now on 70k FSH main dealer and extended VW all component cover warranty from new. Only 2 issues have been new radius arms and thermostat housing both covered under warranty.
I now am in same situation love the car but nothing really seems worth the extra money to swop it for frustrating as mk8's just don't look anywhere near as good inside or out.
TCR not worth the extra cash not that much better car than I have.

Sad to see that most new investment is in electric cars now the mk8 is not great for what will be the last ever GTI :sad:
« Last Edit: 19 July 2022, 18:29 by davo245 »
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 19 July 2022, 20:08 »
I'm sorry and don't take this the wrong way but a TCR is a much better car and is worth the extra. Just looking at a Pure Grey on Belvederes you can see it's different and a bit special. 7.5 Performance is still a great by the way.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2022, 20:10 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 19 July 2022, 22:15 »
I'm sorry and don't take this the wrong way but a TCR is a much better car and is worth the extra. Just looking at a Pure Grey on Belvederes you can see it's different and a bit special. 7.5 Performance is still a great by the way.

I don't disagree but can't really see how they are worth the massive  6-10k extra over a 7.5 pp
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 20 July 2022, 09:03 »

I don't disagree but can't really see how they are worth the massive  6-10k extra over a 7.5 pp
have you driven a TCR?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 20 July 2022, 09:24 »
I cannot help myself, I keep looking at other cars even though I have only had the current one for 4 months.

Today I have been looking at BMW M140i's and Alfa Giulias

I cannot justify a change right now, the amount I would lose on the Golf Vs the amount of use that I have had ratio isn't favourable at the moment.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2022, 09:27 by symonh2000 »
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Online clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 20 July 2022, 09:29 »
If you currently drive a 7 - 7.5 GTi, Dsg a TCR may well be a halo car for you, (less so if you drive a manual gearbox!) :)

Yes a TCR may cost more to purchase, but you are likely to retain that delta over time as implied desirability of a TCR helps counter the depreciation. You may even find it appreciates slightly, although we may have seen some of that?
You also need to consider not all TCR are equal. some specs are more desirable than others, although dealer trade in quotes may not reflect this, buyers are willing to pay up for the right extras on a rare variant.

You need to take the price difference into consideration, I bought my Ed40 CS nearly 3 years ago and found a car 3 years newer, better equipped with a quarter of the mileage for a price difference I was happy with, having studied price and spec data on various spreadsheets since the Ed40 was announced.
Maybe this is just how I look at it having spent far too long trading financial bond spreads? :)

One observation I can make is that 3 years on the cost to change to the same car would appear to be quite a bit more than I paid, which can be explained by the general increase in newish second hand cars and in part by the desirability of rarer variants?
I am enthusiastic about my car and prefer to buy privately while the car is still under warranty, this gives me an insight to how the car has been used, which you may not find buying a car from a car supermarket?
Price isn't everything, it's better to have a car you know the history of and are happy with, buying a secondhand car is not without risk or buyer remorse!

Offline Meister

• Not said much yet
  • 2018 GTI - Pure White
« Reply #29 on: 20 July 2022, 16:02 »
If you currently drive a 7 - 7.5 GTi, Dsg a TCR may well be a halo car for you, (less so if you drive a manual gearbox!) :)

Yes a TCR may cost more to purchase, but you are likely to retain that delta over time as implied desirability of a TCR helps counter the depreciation. You may even find it appreciates slightly, although we may have seen some of that?
You also need to consider not all TCR are equal. some specs are more desirable than others, although dealer trade in quotes may not reflect this, buyers are willing to pay up for the right extras on a rare variant.

You need to take the price difference into consideration, I bought my Ed40 CS nearly 3 years ago and found a car 3 years newer, better equipped with a quarter of the mileage for a price difference I was happy with, having studied price and spec data on various spreadsheets since the Ed40 was announced.
Maybe this is just how I look at it having spent far too long trading financial bond spreads? :)

One observation I can make is that 3 years on the cost to change to the same car would appear to be quite a bit more than I paid, which can be explained by the general increase in newish second hand cars and in part by the desirability of rarer variants?
I am enthusiastic about my car and prefer to buy privately while the car is still under warranty, this gives me an insight to how the car has been used, which you may not find buying a car from a car supermarket?
Price isn't everything, it's better to have a car you know the history of and are happy with, buying a secondhand car is not without risk or buyer remorse!

Yes I agree that the TCR might be better, but a 69 registered TCR compared to my 68 reg GTI (230ps - manual) would be £10,000 to £12,000 more. Regardless of whether it might hold better future value, I cannot see why it commands such a premium. Also, I have an aversion to any car that isn't manual, so feel that would be a deal-breaker for me anyway.

I am very happy to keep my 7.5 gti for a couple more years, but I simply see nothing on the market (for any price actually) that matches the 7.5 (interior, quality of ergonomics including dig dash, handling, looks, fuel economy, comfort, useability, under the radar-ness, class, residuals (I could go on). Even cars at 40-40k don't seem to match up to the 7.5, which seems bizarre to me.
NOW - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI, Manual- Pure White
GONE - 2015 Mk7 GTD, Manual - Tungsten
GONE - 2014 Scirocco GTS 2.0TDI - Salsa Red
GONE - 2012 Scirocco 2.0TDI - Black
GONE - 2009 Mk6 GTI - Tornado Red
GONE - 2008 Mk5 GtTDI - Reflex Silver
GONE - 1991 Corrado 1.8 16v - Dark Green
GONE - 1989 Jetta 1.8 'Show condition' - Red