Author Topic: Differential service  (Read 11284 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Differential service
« Reply #40 on: 11 June 2022, 09:11 »
Good result :smiley:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 11 June 2022, 10:50 »
Well, as an update, I got sent the order form today for my son to sign. I said to the sales person that it should also include the diff oil service and was told “we can do that for £99”..

Here we go again..

So I sent them the screenshot my dealer had sent me saying it was due and that their sales manager had said it would be FoC and they backed down immediately, saying it would be done as part of their sales procedure and without cost to me.

We the people expect photos when you and your son collect it!
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 05 August 2022, 11:51 »
Had mine done (local independent) at 3 years / 13k along with the DSG. Make sure that whoever does it cleans the Haldex filter as part of the service.

Trouble is unless you see them clean the filter or take a photo you'll never know.

I took photos of the haldex diff pump i did a while back to show the guy id done it.

Before

After

Hi Madstaff
Thanks for the tips with regards to cleaning the filter. I am looking to check mine this next week. Did I read somewhere an VCDS/OBDELEVEN task is required after cleaning? Can’t see this point mentioned in this post but sure I read it somewhere??
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 05 August 2022, 14:33 »
I couldnt really get a definitive answer on if the pump relearn is necessary after a filter clean, when i did mine i did do the pump relearn procedure.

It resets the pump values as a blocked filter makes the pump work harder, more amp draw.

You need VCDS for this as i dont think any other tools can communicate with module 32 Differential lock (VAQ diff), i know a professional tool like a Snap On Solus wont.

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/guide-to-front-e-diff-lock-lsd-on-golf-gti-autobahn-seat-leon-skoda-octavia/
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #44 on: 05 August 2022, 14:45 »
Thanks Madstaff

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #45 on: 27 August 2022, 12:48 »
Changed my diff oil and inspected the filter. Filter was clean once I removed the residual oil, so either I don’t drive my car hard enough or the examples on the intranet are from haldex units off an R which must get more use the the PP front diff. Any thoughts? Overall the job was not too hard. It would be super easy on a proper ramp but still OK on 4 axle stands (to make sure the car is level). Hardest part was knowing when to stop filling but all done for another 30K!

If you want to do this at home buy the kit from Awesome GTI, their part kit is cheaper than a dealer! They state the plugs and pump seal kit are one time use but the torque setting is so low I will just buy the oil and replace the bolt on the second service.

Just make you have the necessary tools - quarter inch drive with 10mm socket and a half inch drive with long extension and an 8mm hex bit.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 27 August 2022, 18:27 »
The filter on my VAQ diff pump was clean, I've changed the fluid in an R and the pump filter was absolutely filthy, so yes Paul I think a VAQ diff perhaps doesn't work as hard as an R rear haldex pump.

Did you do a pump relearn??

Have you re-checked the fluid level since the car has been running??

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #47 on: 28 August 2022, 10:03 »
I ran the car briefly when it was on the stands and then topped up another 100ml ish. I didn’t relearn as I only have OBDELEVEN but there is an option to reset in basic settings, which may be the same but I didn’t bother as the filter was clean. It would make sense if the filter was clogged.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 28 August 2022, 10:43 »
I would agree Paul, if the pump filter was really made up and you'd cleaned it a pump relearn would be necessary.

Mine was clean but as I had VCDS, which I bought specifically to do my diff service, I did it anyway.

Offline Lima29

• Just got here
« Reply #49 on: 31 August 2022, 15:09 »
Hi folks,

Been lurking here for a while, learning useful stuff bout the Mk 7, but just registered.

I’m doing a service in my PP GTI soon and it’s due the VAQ fluid change so gonna do that as well as chec the filter/screen in the pump, but gave a quick question- I’ve seen the torque figures for the drain & fill plugs mentioned a few times either on here or on a US Golf forum but not seen anyone mention torques for the bolts holding the pump in place for when I reattach it, has anyone that’s already done this used a particular torque setting when reattaching the pump or just put it back on hand tight?

Thanks.