Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 286853 times)

adamrob69

Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #2170 on: 01 April 2011, 12:38 »
problem is, everyone accepts its flexing; thats not the issue. The issue is proving it. I think Mclaren are on about overlooking the FIA and going to the motorsport council as the FIA test is not fit for purpose (as it doesnt not pick up on this flex). Rules clearly state no part is allowed to flex...yet its quite clearly flexing...it is clever, but in my opinion cheating.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2171 on: 01 April 2011, 19:21 »
problem is, everyone accepts its flexing; thats not the issue. The issue is proving it. I think Mclaren are on about overlooking the FIA and going to the motorsport council as the FIA test is not fit for purpose (as it doesnt not pick up on this flex). Rules clearly state no part is allowed to flex...yet its quite clearly flexing...it is clever, but in my opinion cheating.

All very true.

Them pictures are excellent Khare!

Really proves the theory!

The quicker this is banned the better imo, if Red Bull want to be a front running team them should build a car that is fully legal and then fight with Mclaren and Ferrari

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #2172 on: 01 April 2011, 19:42 »
theres a good quote in that autosport forum thread

'Newey designs cars that force regulation changes'

brilliant mind and fair play to the team

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2173 on: 01 April 2011, 21:04 »

This is not fair play at all. If all teams were to analys the rules and load testings the cars will go under the cars would be developed in completely different ways! The sport is about racing and to create a good race there are rules to enforce no team can gain an unfair advantage. If teams were allowed to develop with no rules the sport wouldnt be about racing it would just be about developing the most powerful and efficient car, the drivers would have little or no envolvment in the sport at all

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #2174 on: 01 April 2011, 21:08 »

This is not fair play at all. If all teams were to analys the rules and load testings the cars will go under the cars would be developed in completely different ways! The sport is about racing and to create a good race there are rules to enforce no team can gain an unfair advantage. If teams were allowed to develop with no rules the sport wouldnt be about racing it would just be about developing the most powerful and efficient car, the drivers would have little or no envolvment in the sport at all

Yes and no. F1 (and in fact any motorpsort) is all about getting the best out of man and machine in tandem. THis always means pushing the rules the the limit (and beyond if you can get away with it). Even at grass roots like the MKII Gold championship people try little tweaks that maybe illegal to get a bit of extra speed. In F1 it's just all on a bigger budget.

If you go back to F1's early days it was often dominated by cars which had huge leaps in innovation. This innovation has been stifled in recent years to try and keep costs down and safety in mind.

Nick

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #2175 on: 02 April 2011, 02:23 »
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?s=de0a4550b40ae7fae6687df50761a2e0&p=21681716&postcount=5

all the wings flex a bit but look at redbulls nose mounted camera moving up and down.

adamrob69

« Reply #2176 on: 02 April 2011, 09:33 »
There is a difference.

Take for example the McLaren F-Duct. That was pushing the boundaries exploiting a "loop hole". There was no rule anywhere saying the flow of air to the back wing could not be prevented by a driver operation.

However take the redbull wing/nose. Yes clever design etc etc. But there IS a rule that quite clearly says that no part of the car is allowed to flex.

Now IMO that is cheating and goes against fair play. A team should not go out and try to deliberately break a rule and then get away with it because they have found away to pass a test! I think McLaren are correct in taking it further then the FIA if they do end up doing that.

There is a clear difference between an innovative design like the F-Duct, the Renault exhaust etc that is within the rules but exploit a loophole than a design that you know breaks the rules but you go ahead and do it anyway by devising a way to pass a test.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2177 on: 02 April 2011, 10:49 »
There is a difference.

Take for example the McLaren F-Duct. That was pushing the boundaries exploiting a "loop hole". There was no rule anywhere saying the flow of air to the back wing could not be prevented by a driver operation.

However take the redbull wing/nose. Yes clever design etc etc. But there IS a rule that quite clearly says that no part of the car is allowed to flex.

Now IMO that is cheating and goes against fair play. A team should not go out and try to deliberately break a rule and then get away with it because they have found away to pass a test! I think McLaren are correct in taking it further then the FIA if they do end up doing that.

There is a clear difference between an innovative design like the F-Duct, the Renault exhaust etc that is within the rules but exploit a loophole than a design that you know breaks the rules but you go ahead and do it anyway by devising a way to pass a test.

Hear Hear!!  :grin:

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #2178 on: 02 April 2011, 10:58 »
have any of you read the 16 page thread that was posted up relating to the videos and the rules etc...

Redbull are just pushing the limits, they pass the tests then they are good to race.. Every single team out there is looking for that extra 1/10th and as long as it passes then they can race...

Comparing the F-Duct to the Nose is ridiculous, two totally different concepts and cannot be compared. Rules are there to provide standardisation and safety, innovation to work around these is brilliant and every team is looking to do it.

We all know that the red bull runs massive rake compared to the rest of the team, this isn't just down to the nose cone but the whole aero package, it obviously works for them.. but as you can blatently see from the videos posted, Mclarens nose as well as every other top runner in F1 will flex, ok RB might flex more than anyone else but its part of racing..

Brawn had a good aero package that allowed them to get enough of a headstart that they could wrap up the championship with Button and now RB have the same.

I am wondering whether the KERS is affecting the RB aero package somewhat and they would rather run without the KERS and a more complete aero than trying to get both balanced..
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #2179 on: 02 April 2011, 13:21 »
its a pretty straightforward issue.

do the rules state that that no part of the bodywork is allowed to flex beyond certain limits? the answer is yes , they do.

do parts of the redbull flex beyond those limits? yes they do.

now just because the fia test isn't adequate for the type of flex involved doesn't make it alright. it's still cheating , it's just cheating but getting away with it.

i'm not anti redbull or pro any other team but i'd a like an even playing field please.

by all means be clever within the rules , thats what f1 is about but don't cheat because you're not being caught and think thats ok.