Author Topic: It's leaking, but where?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Phil303

• GTI forum regular
It's leaking, but where?
« on: 25 January 2005, 09:10 »
Hi people,

We had some heavy rain recently and after driving home in it I found that the carpet under/behind the drivers seat (basically the rear passenger footwell) was soaked - not just damp but drenched through. No other area was affected, the seats weren't wet, the roof was up (natch), the windows were sealed, there was no trace of water coming in through any side or door seals etc.

I've had the car up on a ramp but couldn't find any holes underneath yet, but I'm going to have another look this week.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Cheers guys,

Phil

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re: It's leaking, but where?
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2005, 11:13 »
cab or tintop?
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline hairyarse

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2005, 13:47 »
If you go a tin top, could be rear hatch seal or rear sunroof drain?

Offline benji mk2

• Here all the time
  • Soon be christmas!
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2005, 14:43 »
I'd tend to agree with hairy, had a similar problem that turned out to be the sunroof drain.

Offline Phil303

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2005, 17:21 »
Fogot to say it's an '89 Clipper.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2005, 09:10 »
Is it the rubber and the seals around the (dont know what you'd call it) trim that is between the front and back window, you know the roll cage bit ? Why not do one of these, take it to a power wash and give it a good blast with someone sat in it and see if they can spot any leaks, or take it to one of those car wash places that are all over and see if it leaks when you are sat in it.  :undecided:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Phil303

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2005, 14:26 »
Good idea, I'll try the jet wash approach. My local and trusted mechanic said that as a rule of thumb water doesn't really go up into bodywork, so with that in mind I'm going to have a check of the seals although they all appear to be fine and nics and snug where they meet.

I'll get some more photos up in the gallery as well once the Scala alloys have been painted and fitted.

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2005, 08:03 »
like I've always said. the cab's are great when the sun is out, but a nightmare when it rains. esspecially if the previous owners haven't looked after them.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Phil303

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2005, 10:04 »
I've checked all the seals and done the jet wash test but everything has stayed dry so far and there don't appear to be any leaks. Bizarre.

Maybe I hadn't shut a window properly, I just can't figure it out.

I'm only the third owner and the car has been well looked after so I'm pretty confident that everything is sound. Alloys on this week (finally). I only need to do another 8 thousand miles and it would have covered the equivalent distance from earth to the moon, fact fans!

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2005, 10:28 »
I'm reckoning that if the jet wash hasn't shown any clear leaks then it looks like a slightly open window maybe, I'd get it dry and then keep an eye on it when it has rained and see if it happens again.
......now officially dubless.