Author Topic: gti advice  (Read 5887 times)

Offline mysticman aka polypathetic

• Here all the time
Re:gti advice
« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2004, 20:07 »
if your gonna do anything get a 16valver the engine is much more advanced than the 8v (fiesta sounding) engine but advancments come with a price, the main problems i found with me 16valver was the isv, a device that although does what it is supposed to do can have many problems the main one being that it gets dirty and clogs up so cleaning is paramount to make your car tick over and run smoothly in my view it is a simple device but way too complex, other than that the 16valver f-in screams from 60- 130 in what seems like milliseconds. i love mine with a pasion it gives the biggest buzz possibleand has always suprised me in every sence of the whole driving experience.
in laymans terms GET ONE YESTERDAY, THE NEWER THE BETTER

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 10 March 2004, 20:58 »
i have a small video that i made at the weekend, and i think it shows my 16v in fifth standing at 80 accelerating to 122 in 19 seconds. which i dont think is too shabby.

Tin
« Last Edit: 10 March 2004, 22:17 by tinman »

Offline Fraiser

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 11 March 2004, 13:48 »

Having had 3 16valvers and still owning an 8 valve i have to say - the 16 valver is much better.

even though you can tend to have more probs with a 16valver- they are as tey say the mutts nuts.

Offline daiO

• Just got here
« Reply #43 on: 11 March 2004, 20:30 »
Seems that I?ve caused a bit of an argument on here!

I?ll probably go for the 16v if the insurance isn?t much more expensive than the 8v. Also decide to look at BMW E30 3.18is and 3.25is as another option. The E30 is another of my favourite late eighties cars and they have RWD which could be fun. Slightly more expensive for a good one though.

On autotrader they have golf?s that have done 100-140k+ miles. How reliable would these cars be with a full service history? I?ve seen some nice looking ones that are inside my budget on a few websites, J plates as well! Just wish I had the cash now!!!

Offline Dragon6

• Here all the time
« Reply #44 on: 11 March 2004, 22:13 »
currently have both 8v and 16v mk2`s the 16v is the better car by far,service history is obviously a bonus
but an overall clean unabused car is a good sign and using your common sense u cant go wrong there are that many out there to look at my 8v had 177k on it when I bought it lots of reciepts but no service records had the car a year has cost me nothing runs drives superbly burns no oil no nasty noises clunks knocking nothing barely any 1st to 2nd syncro wear,was a company car at then begining of its life..My 16v has 113k on it ok I bought it cheap as the gearbox was poorly, thats only thing with the valvers the  gearboxes can be a  weak point,again it had loads of reciepts part history and the car is amazing again burns no oil no probs anywhere drilled airbox K+N panel filter sounds the nuts when its on full chat,look at a few using your common sense you cant go wrong..

Offline fastphil

• Not said much yet
« Reply #45 on: 11 March 2004, 23:34 »
I have an 8v and the wife has a 16v its nice to swap now and again and see the difference. The 8v is very quick up to 5000 rpm but then dies. The vaver is not as quick upto the same rpm but once u pass that and get  above 6000 its a totally different animal. Awsome!

golfvr6

« Reply #46 on: 11 March 2004, 23:52 »
Why do people keep coming up with this one about the 8v being quicker at lower revs.

ITS NOT TRUE
16V HAS MORE POWER AND TORQUE UP THE WHOLE REV RANGE
ITS A FACT

:)

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #47 on: 11 March 2004, 23:55 »
tell em vr6 8)

Offline Miacant

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #48 on: 12 March 2004, 10:03 »
Hi guys,

I always enjoy this debate on 16 v 8 valves. I think I may have read most about the subject on the forum. My first GTi experience driving the 8v and its a great thrill. ;D  But, I must admit you chaps have wet my appetite  :P  for a driving experience in a 16v but will have to take into considering a lot of factors before owning one, mainly S/h, geniune mileage, clean and unabused car . I may even pay to get it checked out before buying, that way you can be rest assured that you have really bought a geniune motor.

Offline red16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #49 on: 27 March 2004, 09:55 »
I have nothing to say on the topic on 8v versus 16v, just to say I do so enjoy the funny 'banter' on this forum. I often sit here at the keyboard smiling to myself at some jokers really funny comments - the one liners are often 'gems'. Better than the telly - and I work in it !. Regards, yt.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2004, 09:58 by red16v »