Author Topic: Gstar chips ????????  (Read 3314 times)

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
Re: Gstar chips ????????
« Reply #40 on: 24 January 2006, 23:43 »
seems like it yeah, from about f/g onwards i think? :huh:
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline bulk66

• I live here
  • Im broke an it aint a joke!!!!
« Reply #41 on: 27 January 2006, 23:52 »
Ive just Pmed you tt5th dont know if you got it cheers ......... :smiley:

Offline DavidGTi

• Not said much yet
  • The man. The legend.
« Reply #42 on: 02 February 2006, 10:21 »
I too am seriously considering getting one of these chips, however I won't be fitting it myself so I need to find someone in Cambridge to correctly install it for me. For £35, I'm not expeceting it to be amazing, or give me 50bhp, but I want it to be in the region of where it should be (fuelling wise).

On the other hand I was quoted £280 for a rolling road re-map and a further £120 for G60 fuel injectors (if required).

I have a 1900cc TSR conversion with a flowed head, high lift cam, k+n, full scorpion exhaust etc etc etc. Its produced 143bhp before on a rolling road, but VW have since played with the fuelling and now its getting 122bhp!!!

So basically, I neeeeeeed a chip. Its bloody hard to find information on these things at all. Seems as though I'm the only wayne kerr who has put a chip on their 8v GTi! No-one seems to have definative information  :angry:
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success" - Carver, E

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 02 February 2006, 10:44 »
there isn't much 'definative' information as they are just a generic chip, so alot depends on the condition of the car. it'd be hard to find two digifants which are identical now, due to the age of them so running back to back tests is pretty hard.

also the only real comparison can be made by getting the car on the rollers, getting a good figure, swapping chips, doing it all over again. just for the time on the rollers you'll be looking at the best part of £100 plus the price of a chip. ultimately they are all mapped to a more aggressive curve than standard chips, which are a compromise between reliabiltiy, efficiency, and power.
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline bulk66

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 02 February 2006, 14:49 »
Ive just brought one im fitting it at the weekend so will let you know if its any good ..... :smiley:

Offline bulk66

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 03 February 2006, 21:36 »
Ive managed to get my chip fitted tonight  its done what it said it would do its got rid of my digi lag, seems to pull a bit better after 4000k rpm. I don't know if its just me but it seems to tick over more smoothly as well will need to see if i get better mpg. It took me about an hour to fit it nice and easy. Theres no super bhp gain but i wasn't expecting any i just wanted a smoother drive so was impressed with the little more pull at higher rpm. Thanks to TT5TH who sold me his old one it dose work mate  :grin:

Offline takethefifth

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 04 February 2006, 00:04 »
Nice one, glad its all ok!  :wink:

Offline DavidGTi

• Not said much yet
  • The man. The legend.
« Reply #47 on: 06 February 2006, 12:39 »
Worth a £35 purchase then!

I've heard of needing to reset something (the existing ecu) for these things to work?

So they whack more fuel in after 4000rpm?
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success" - Carver, E

Offline bulk66

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 06 February 2006, 19:12 »
Yea worth the money but dont get me wrong its not no neck snapping   :shocked: oh ive hit 4500k thing it just seems better if you know what i mean. And it has got rid of my digi lag.................. :smiley:

Offline bulk66

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 06 February 2006, 19:13 »
Oh and i didnt have to reset anything just plug and play............. :grin: