Author Topic: Mk2 8v, 1 owner from new, FSH, Only 25,000 miles  (Read 9577 times)

Offline danjm20

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk2 8v, 1 owner from new, FSH, Only 25,000 miles
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2012, 21:38 »
Buy a "just broken in" valver for £1000.

Spend £2500 tarting it up.

Spend £500 on Hookers.

WIN, WIN, WIN.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :laugh: :laugh:
'90 Mk2 Golf GTI 8v (Tornado Red)
'95 Mk3 Golf GTI 8v (Dusty Mauve)
'89 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v (White) (For Sale!)
'95 Lexus LS 400 (White)

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2012, 22:03 »
Good shout! If your budgets big then buy the best shelled car you can, a non-gti if needs be, then spend the change on decent engine gearbox suspension etc. That's still a peasants car by all rights, v low down in the golf food chain so I wouldn't be interested myself, unless it was normal 8v money

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2012, 22:29 »
Best car I ever had was a £350 single bid ebay special.

A big bumper 8v with over 200k on the clock.

Reliable and fun.

So you boys stick your 25k genuine miles up your poopers.

*jealous*

:tongue:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline scottishpedro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2012, 22:33 »
Is it a 16V? No.

There's your answer.

Agree, 16v or nowt :)

Really?  Is it that big a deal?  My 8v is a joy to drive (its nippy enough without being so fast that its just unsafe) but if I really wanted a powerful car then something other than a 20 year old 1.8 would be better. 

Offline walchy01

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2012, 22:40 »
Just to be clear, this is an investment for the long haul, so not looking for quick profit etc...
Surely ths car in 10 years is worth 10k money?  :undecided:

Better than in the bank earning £2 a month, paying them bankers silly bonuses :laugh:

damien.wrl

« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2012, 22:47 »
I think if it's in solid condition 4k would be a bargain... If its been garaged and not pink then it's a steal...
As a budding classic a low mileage original un modded example will soon outstrip the values of heavily modded examples.......as for reliability it's a VW and the fact it has been serviced regularly will negate lack of use... Mine has done 35k now and it runs like clockwork low mileage un reliability is a myth

8v 16v doesnt matter unless you are a boy racer, they are both fun but performance is not really up to new car standards...

Oh and out of interest I had serious interest when I wobbled and thought of selling mine for stupid money..,yep great investment and fun on the dry weekend :smiley:
« Last Edit: 13 July 2012, 22:50 by damien.wrl »

Offline walchy01

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2012, 22:53 »
I think if it's in solid condition 4k would be a bargain... If its been garaged and not pink then it's a steal...
As a budding classic a low mileage original un modded example will soon outstrip the values of heavily modded examples.......as for reliability it's a VW and the fact it has been serviced regularly will negate lack of use... Mine has done 35k now and it runs like clockwork low mileage un reliability is a myth

8v 16v doesnt matter unless you are a boy racer, they are both fun but performance is not really up to new car standards...

Couldn't agree more :wink: I'm watching it all the way in to the line, must admit I preferred my many 8v GTI's  to the 16v anyway, don't know what the fuss is about, only top end that's different and with the speed limits and traffic lights locally can't get past 40 MPH anyway :angry:

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #17 on: 14 July 2012, 01:50 »

Couldn't agree more :wink: I'm watching it all the way in to the line, must admit I preferred my many 8v GTI's  to the 16v anyway, don't know what the fuss is about, only top end that's different and with the speed limits and traffic lights locally can't get past 40 MPH anyway :angry:

You might be right about it being a 10 or 15K car in the future BUT I can't see it.... Like all these things it's a gamble...

I would at least use it once in a while and then if it don't make the money you wanted you can say "I've enjoyed owning it and running it"...

Even if you get it for £4K you are going to have to spend £1-2K sorting out the issues with a low mileage car - assuming your not using it for a daily hack for the next 10 years to keep the mileage so low.... Ask Matt @ Autohausdolby about low mileage cars... He's got a Syncro and it's costing him a small fortune replacing all the parts that now are failing on it!!

Long term investment - Maybe!

I've been wrong before! & Will be again!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

damien.wrl

« Reply #18 on: 14 July 2012, 10:13 »
Why such a hater.... I have had my 35k 8v for nearly 4years, Apart from new wheels the most expensive thing I have bought is a brand new key from vw classic de about 13€,touch wood I can't find anything to spend money on I wish I could ...As for value I have seen a low mileage four door in white (you may recall it ) sell for more then 10k, i had someone flying down to see mine at a figure not far short of that..There have been numerous mk1s selling for more than 12k...
If this car is clean and original at 4k it will be a bargain... Service and detail 6k no problem, as for the future it can only go up as it gets rarer

Offline weazgti

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 14 July 2012, 20:04 »

You might be right about it being a 10 or 15K car in the future BUT I can't see it.... Like all these things it's a gamble...

I would at least use it once in a while and then if it don't make the money you wanted you can say "I've enjoyed owning it and running it"...

Even if you get it for £4K you are going to have to spend £1-2K sorting out the issues with a low mileage car - assuming your not using it for a daily hack for the next 10 years to keep the mileage so low.... Ask Matt @ Autohausdolby about low mileage cars... He's got a Syncro and it's costing him a small fortune replacing all the parts that now are failing on it!!

Long term investment - Maybe!

I've been wrong before! & Will be again!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Apart from paint which I doubt it needs what is going to cost 1 to 2k sorting it?
My car would be perfect with that ploughed into it.