Author Topic: Big favour for my stupid rear wiper!  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
Re: Big favour for my stupid rear wiper!
« Reply #20 on: 15 June 2005, 09:02 »
Thanks knobby, that's real kind!

While your there Could you check something for me.  when the wiper is activated, does the click on the relay coinside with the wiper movement, i guess it should click first to start the arm off and click again to stop it! but maybe the relay clicks off and the wiper arm returns after the click?

Cheers
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #21 on: 15 June 2005, 20:05 »
Ok, had another play, i now know the motor just turns one way and the inner arm moves around to make the wiper arm come back, it should do one full revolution,  i attached some tape to the motor and it only turned the same, slightly differently each time and each time was about 55-65% of the turn!

I took the gromet off and the wires are fine!

I put a multimeter to the motor connection and each time i get a different reading, 11.46V, 10.21V, 11.41V, 10.38V etc

so there is not enough power or the power is not being supplied for the correct period of time! The relay is fine as Gambit sent me one to test and they both are the same!

o yeah, there is a spade connector attached to the body of the motor, should something be attached to this?

So the big question what next?

Offline takethefifth

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 15 June 2005, 22:03 »

This is how mine is set at rest, the motor turns only one way and occasionally stops only 80% of the way round. Still works fine though.

If not then fingers crossed the motor sorts it.

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 15 June 2005, 22:16 »
ohh sh!t i remember this problem with my helious blue golf :rolleyes:

i got away with laying the wiper flat first. then adjusted the wiper arm so that it goes below the window rubber and returns back to the bottom of the glass.  :grin:

relay used to go 'click' wiper on, 'click' wiper off. Had some earthing problems on the car aswel.

sounds like your motor is running for a few milli seconds longer and bringing the wiper back up.
its gotta be your wiper mechanism  :wink:
« Last Edit: 15 June 2005, 22:18 by Baby Blue Mk2 »
:)

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #24 on: 15 June 2005, 22:50 »
Use multimeter and check/pull/twiddle all the visible wiring, especially between tailgate and car, see if the voltage drops of suddenly when u do this, indicating a split wire.

Maybe clean up the connectors to motor, and check the earth as well (not sure where this is though!)

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline sco3y

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 16 June 2005, 00:08 »
i have just fixed the same fault on my car and it was a wire in my case.
wiper had a mind of its own but when you wash the rear window by pulling the wiper stalk it would give 5 good sweeps then stop before the cycle finished.
previous owner had removed the tailgate at some time and cut the wires at the top of the tailgate then fixed them back up with terminal blocks, he cut the rubber that keeps the rain out as well and water got in and rusted up the bare wire in the terminal blocks which led to the wires breaking away.
i had to cut a fair bit of wire off cos the rust wasted the wire.

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #26 on: 16 June 2005, 08:39 »
Thanks tt5th - is your car a right hand drive? as my motor is on the other side :) looks the same set up though!

Blue - so when the clicks stop, should the wiper continue to after the click to rest position?

Organisys - i think it might be an earth fault also!I think there may be two power leads going to the wiper,  i think that first click on the relay sends the power to first move the wiper and second click sends a signal to bring the wiper back to rest. it's the second click that nothing happens!

I may have to pull all the wiring out and have  good look, of couse it may be at the rear of the fuse box or down the side of the car, anywhere really :) it will be the last place i look  :grin:

sco3y - yeah maybe something similar and as when you i do the wash also it goes for the cycle and ends up in random place again!

Do any of you have anything connected to that spade on the wiper motor?

Thanks for all your help on such a minor matter, but it's bugging the hell out of me :)

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 16 June 2005, 08:42 »
Blue - so when the clicks stop, should the wiper continue to after the click to rest position?

yeh i think it should do that. cant remember exactly but ill check it out today just to be sure :smiley:

tt5th took the pic upside down to confuse you more deffa :laugh:
« Last Edit: 16 June 2005, 08:46 by Baby Blue Mk2 »
:)

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #28 on: 16 June 2005, 09:31 »
Thanks mate, would eb nice to know about thsoe clicks :)

Can't you tell i am till half asleep :) i never noticed it was up side down  :laugh:

Offline GTI EDITION (aka LTD)

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 16 June 2005, 09:58 »
This is driving me mad!!! I have replaced the wiper arm today and the relay, no difference (even taken the rear mechanism out and really greased it)! it seems to be out of sequence, like it does 90% of a cycle each time , so the rear wiper ends up in different positions each time!!

I think at some point a previous owner has tried to to the lay flat trick, but messed it up!

Can some please, pleaser, please  take a pic of there rear wiper mechanism inside the car so i can see the postions of the arms, i should be able to put it back to normal from that.

Cheers

It is VERY common on for the wiring to break inside the bellows in the tailgate shut which depending on which of the wires decides to break causes problems with the rear wiper,the number plate lamps or the heated rear screen.

If I remember correctly there should be 3 wires that go to the wiper motor

1/ Earth (brown)
2/ Permanent live with ignition on. (can,t remember colour :undecided:)
3/ 3rd wire which is energized when the wiper stalk is pressed forward when the relay for the intermittent wash/wipe is activated.(again can't remember colour :undecided:)

From the symptoms you're describing (( Quote: rear wiper ends up in different positions each time!!)) it is either a broken wire for the permanent live feed or a knackered motor as the slip rings inside can get burnt out etc but this is quite rare .In my experience it's  more likely to be the wiring .

Hope this helps :smiley:
« Last Edit: 16 June 2005, 10:01 by VENTO GTI EDITION »

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=19378

Does my arse look TOO BIG (to fit) in this (forum).... or was it something I said ?