Author Topic: Starting my car  (Read 4169 times)

Offline emery1990

• I live here
Re: Starting my car
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2011, 15:01 »
Thats sorted now, still doesnt start though, just trys to start, stops then does a mental clicking noise.

And sometimes a puff of smoke comes out of that hole.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2011, 15:06 by emery1990 »

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2011, 17:42 »
Right, it's the starter motor thats making the noise, the red lead from the alternator was off for some reason, where does this go back onto? Is this why the starter motor is just clicking?

Yesterday it did start up for about 1 second, made the vroom vroom sound, but my joy was short lived.

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2011, 19:08 »
The red lead goes from battery to starter to alternator. It goes on a big terminal on the alternator. There's a small blue wire also with a spade connector that should be on the male spade terminal on the alt.make sure u have a nice clean tight connection on the starter and alt, and that the other earth and trigger wires on it are good and clean. Make sure you have good power in the batt also. If it then turns over 4 ages with no firing, check your fuel and spark beacause if all else is right (and its defo got fuel in the tank) it should fire up quite quick even after an engine conversion/sitting a while.try not to turn it over for ages till it smokes cos its killing the starter

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 27 February 2011, 03:57 »
Cheers mate, think It's kos that manifold hole I was on about is supose to be blanked off, but I've been leaving it it open with a filter on it. Must of knocked the wiring or something on the alternator. Should hopefully get it going if I blank off the hole and get the red lead back in place.

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 27 February 2011, 14:30 »
So I've got a thick black wire going to starter motor, then the red lead coming from the alternator has to connect to the same bolt as the black one, to get 12v's yes? On a digi car ,ie abf do I have to remove the manifold to test for fuelling? But saying that the car started for 1 second so had to of got spark and fuel, just the starter clicks like mad after a while.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2011, 14:32 by emery1990 »

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 27 February 2011, 16:43 »
It'll be the solenoid on the starter clicking, not the motor itself.. Could be down to not enough amps (ie flat battery) or jus a dodgey solenoid (maybe its old). Not too sure bout the inlet fanimold t off, I know on my kjet its still attached to the rubber breather pipe from block, its just the airbox end that's unattached, and that goes into my catch tank (lucozade bottle). Just to confirm spark, pull a plug out, stick it on the rocker or inlet so its earthed, then turn over briefly and look for spark.. take your battery off and charge it over night, then have another crack 2mrw and report what's happening..

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 27 February 2011, 16:51 »
The hose is all sorted now anyway. Going to catch it, then hole on the mani is blocked off.

Ahh right, starter motors 5 months old, but probably been used 10x if that. I reckon it's the battery then, as if it de-charges quickly then it's obviously knackered. I'm going to cop if they dont give me another one though :angry: I've got a bosch battery too I thought I would use but think thats broke aswell, that broke the day I got the car when viewing it, can cars destroy batteries?

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 27 February 2011, 21:14 »
If it drains it and doesn't replenish it by means of an alternator yeah. I duno, unless you've proved fuel and spark I'd be putting a good battery on it, having one more go, then getting someone who knows their m.s and mk2 wiring out to come have a butchers..I'm right in thinking its on ms isn't it?

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 27 February 2011, 21:22 »
yer its on ms mate.Yer I'll sort out the battery tomoz, has to be that, theres not much to Ms wiring tbh lol I found my multimeter and it read 12.7 straight after I charged it up.

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 20 March 2011, 10:32 »
After testing my coil it is fine, my hall sender is fine.

When removing the king lead from the coil and earthing it to my block, when cranking I cannot see a spark. So must it be a broken king lead if the coil is fine?

And is a whole lead or is it a spark plug that would be needed.?