Author Topic: Starting my car  (Read 4170 times)

Offline emery1990

• I live here
Starting my car
« on: 21 February 2011, 18:03 »
I went to try and start my car today for the second time, first time I had a mare with a relay!

(I'm using megasquirt) I had my fuel pump wire disconnected as instructed and turned the engine to check for spark, I couldnt see a spark and after say 3 secs of turning the engine made a horrible clicking noise. Would this be the dizzy? I think I may have wired it up wrong as it's a 3 wire plug but I'm just using 2 ( eartha and tach signal)

Connected my pump wire and it primed so I must be doing something right. Unfortunately fuel pissed everywhere from where I thought it may, Joining new fuel hose (8mm) onto the old barbed connections which the k-jet used. But thought the clip may seal it, it didnt.

To solve this problem could I get an 8mm barbed connector to replace the smaller kjet one. Also where the 5th injector used to be, would I block this off, I haven't yet as thought I read somewhere you don't need to but probably wrong!

And if anyone knows, danny_p :smiley: When should the ecu light up ? as the light flickered for a bit when turning my engine checking for spark?

Oh and what size is the top rad hose? Looks like 1"1/4 ?

« Last Edit: 21 February 2011, 18:07 by emery1990 »

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: Starting my car
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2011, 18:39 »
could it be the starter motor clicking ?? and need to get that fuel line sorted asap lol
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2011, 19:00 »
re: the clicking, have you put the leads in the right order to the dizzy?

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2011, 22:11 »
Yer fuel hose I'm onto  :grin:, nah its like 4 clicks a second!, I dont rekon I have, how can you tell what wires what, or do you have to use a multimeter?

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2011, 23:04 »
plug laptop into ECU,   you can look at data from sensors and set it up. 

think the default lights on the ecu  are,   i've forgoten, fuel, warmup enrichment.  all 3 will flash on powerup then injection light will flash with each injection event and the warmup light will be on for however long it's in warmup mode
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2011, 15:50 »
Cheers mate, Don't get nothing yet just had it flicker at me, will sort out my dizzy wiring then see if that does anything.

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2011, 17:13 »
 Danny-How do I wire up my dizzy anyway? as the diagram just shows tach signal going straight to the - on the dizzy?

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2011, 18:20 »
Sorted .

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2011, 16:48 »
Right, laptop doesnt pick up ecu with key in ignition, but when turning over the ecu lights flash.

Before I start it though..

At the front centre of the abf manifold there is a hole with a ribber rubber in it, what is this and what shall I do with it, is it a breather of some sort, I've got an induction now and not an airbox. And coming under the manifold towards where the airbox would be is a hose, is this the oil breather pipe, which needs a little oil filter cone on it yes.

And when I did turn it over it turns over but then makes that horrible clicking again.

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2011, 11:33 »
Anyone?

Is the hole at the front of the abf for an isv ? Therefore id blank it. Then id get a little oil filter thing from halfords.

Would like to get it started today.

edit.

Pretty sure I know this is some sort of of breather, as on abf pohoto's the hose goes to the air box, but I cant obviously as I've got an cone filer, so will buy one of them small filter's from halfords.

But still confused as what this pipe is, I thought that this pipe was the oil breather pipe.

« Last Edit: 26 February 2011, 12:34 by emery1990 »