Author Topic: MOT!  (Read 6116 times)

Offline mwep201081

• Here all the time
Re: MOT!
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2011, 19:58 »
i paid 70 quid for my clutch to be fitted...

not by a reputable garage.....

30-50 pounds an hour is the going rate and a clutch will take 4-5 hours done properly

Offline theclash

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2011, 20:11 »
owning an old car and no mechanical skills is an endless money pot gonna cost you a small fortune everytime something needs fixing ....on the plus side you will probably be on the garages christmas card list  :laugh:

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2011, 00:07 »
i paid 70 quid for my clutch to be fitted...

not by a reputable garage.....

30-50 pounds an hour is the going rate and a clutch will take 4-5 hours done properly

Yeah and the rest  :grin:
I don't think anyone charges less than 50 quid an hour plus VAT round my way.
As for the price quoted, if its with o.e. parts then its fine.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2011, 00:11 »
Book time for changing the clutch and release bearing is 3.3 hours.
Bearing in mind the age of the car, problems could arise.
So i would say the quote is fine  :smiley:
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2011, 09:34 »
Buy a haynes manual, torque wrench, and decent socket set. Sorted. Then you've got all the gear for the next breakdown. That's what I meant..you could spend that 450 and have the engine die on you next week. I'd abf it for that money. A clutch on a 16v is not hard. I'm no mechanic and I converted my 1.3 carb to abf running full kjet. Asked a few questions on here about parts compatability, the rest was looking and working out what to do. Its not hard, you can swap an engine in a day, even if your a noob

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #15 on: 11 February 2011, 10:16 »
Buy a haynes manual, torque wrench, and decent socket set. Sorted. Then you've got all the gear for the next breakdown. That's what I meant..you could spend that 450 and have the engine die on you next week. I'd abf it for that money. A clutch on a 16v is not hard. I'm no mechanic and I converted my 1.3 carb to abf running full kjet. Asked a few questions on here about parts compatability, the rest was looking and working out what to do. Its not hard, you can swap an engine in a day, even if your a noob

I fail to see the logic here.... Swap the "engine" cos it needs a new clutch??

What do you do when you run out of screen water - Swap all the glass, Wipers & Motors??

Not everyone wants to do engine swaps, I wouldn't dream of doing mine unless it was beyond repair!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 11 February 2011, 12:35 »
Yeah, I'm sayin for the money you'd pay for a clutch to be fitted I'd sooner ditch the kr and drop an abf in myself. For the not much extra effort involved its worth it.jus tryin to put it into context of how much of a rip off that is!!!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #17 on: 11 February 2011, 12:59 »
Yeah, I'm sayin for the money you'd pay for a clutch to be fitted I'd sooner ditch the kr and drop an abf in myself. For the not much extra effort involved its worth it.jus tryin to put it into context of how much of a rip off that is!!!

Yeah in YOUR Opinion...

In mine it seems a fairish price and for the knowledge that if it goes wrong he can take it back and get it sorted without any agro, or time off the road...

Things are always easy when YOU know how to do it... Not so easy for some, and other just can't use a spanner!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 11 February 2011, 13:46 »
Yeah its only an opinion,not gospel. Jus tryin to put it in context so the guy can see what costs what.there's a whole abf setup for sale for less than 300 quid!fair enough though, if your better at being a spanner than you are with a spanner then whatever its up 2 u. Jus givin my opinion like you are yours

Offline walchy01

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 11 February 2011, 16:12 »
Funny on here, just cos someone can get a job done cheaper than someone else they get all b!tchy, :kiss:  "not at a reputable garage" my AR@E, I'll keep going back and saving a fortune and you keeping chucking your money down the drain mate....

You Should really keep your view of how good a jobs been done when u know nothing about the garage in question... :wink:

All the best