Author Topic: best engine for mk2  (Read 6946 times)

Offline twistedblack69

• I live here
  • Proud mk2 user and abuser
Re: best engine for mk2
« Reply #20 on: 24 February 2010, 14:30 »
Hey Russ mate, read your post on the first page, and the one above here. May ask for your help at some point in making mine a bit faster if possible, mate :)

Breaker

« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2010, 16:58 »
Nice to see people from Bournemouth.
Shame theres not a local meet  :smiley:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 24 February 2010, 17:16 »
Back on topic, it's about time someone tackled a 1.4 TFSI engine install.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #23 on: 24 February 2010, 19:03 »
Back on topic, it's about time someone tackled a 1.4 TFSI engine install.

Why?  Clarkson described that engine as 'smooth as falling down a flight of stairs, wearing calipers'.

I have a breathed-on 8V.

If I did it again I wouldn't waste my time with 8 valves.  The ABF pulls like a train and revs way more happily out of the box.  Oh and 150bhp is a better starting place for tuning than 112bhp.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Chris-White

• I live here
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
« Reply #24 on: 24 February 2010, 20:19 »
Personally, im a g60 fan.

think that could be just me on that one though  :undecided:
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline weazgti

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2010, 20:29 »
I d love to go down the ABF route eventually and people keep saying how it is plug and play with 3 plugs on the fusebox making it sound easy. Is it?. I keep thinking about the 2.0 8v route aswell because i did a city and guilds in repair and servicing of motor vehicles when i left school so i think building an engine would nt be too much of a problem but if i went abf then i think i might struggle with the loom a bit.
Also i dont have a driveway or garage so id have to get it done reasonably quickly outside my house which makes the 2.0 8v seem an easier option for a bit more power.

Offline 6foot6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 24 February 2010, 21:22 »
any 2 liter lump with a turbo, every psi of boost will yield roughly 10BHP and 10lbs foot on the right engine.
thats if you want all out power and silly straight line power (once the front wheels stop spinning)

For a Day to day car the 8v has it out the box, good flexibility for town and b road blasting and good at cruising.

If I was going to build a track day Golf , Id want a high rev 2.0L NA with 8500K rpm to play and 180 - 200HP and a LSD in the gearbox.

My 8v golf is a more rewarding drive than my Mr2 turbo , because I have to actually drive the Golf to get the most from it, In the Mr2 its rare to use full throttle as you end up doing silly speeds and running out of road with out trying.
Golf GTi 8v Alpine white - Project track shlag - TLC needed - KnN/Scorpien full system oval tail pipe, rust here and there.
1991 Toyota MR2 MK Revision 1 Turbo, rev 3 LSD, CT20b Turbo, HKS Exhaust, Blitz Downpipe 244HP@the wheels @ 13psi - 12.9 SQM :D
1994 BMW 730 V8 fully loaded 220BHP

Offline retromk2craig

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk2 GTI And Mk3 GTI
« Reply #27 on: 24 February 2010, 21:56 »
gonna just rebuild 8v, and do a couple of things to that. im after a real clean engine bay. im not realy after a hard goin street racer. i have a mk4 4 motion for that. i want a clean mint looking mk2 i can take to shows. but still use it to pop out and about in. (summer months only off course).

MK2 8V                                                                        MK4 4 MOTION

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #28 on: 24 February 2010, 23:55 »
For a Day to day car the 8v has it out the box, good flexibility for town and b road blasting and good at cruising.

No!

Read the previous posts - the ABF is torquier than an 8V, whether it's 1.8 or 2.0 and then it revs when you want fun.  AND they give good MPG.

Also i dont have a driveway or garage so id have to get it done reasonably quickly outside my house which makes the 2.0 8v seem an easier option for a bit more power.

Your location suggests that goonish assistance for projects of this ilk would be available.  PM me when you have a donor.  I'm sure we can sort something out that is undercover and dry-ish.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline weazgti

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 25 February 2010, 16:46 »
That would be good. would make it all go together easier and any assistance would be muchly appreciated  :smiley: