Author Topic: Looking to buy a mk2 GTI  (Read 7050 times)

Driver888

Looking to buy a mk2 GTI
« on: 08 October 2009, 20:17 »
Hi,

New to this forum so still learning about these cars! Currently in the market for a Golf mk2 GTI. They generally seem to have anything from 120k to 160k on the clock but some are in the 90k's. Can anyone give me anything to specifically look out for with these? Do they rust badly in any particular areas and so on..?

The variations on the prices are huge so I need a little guidance. I think i would prefer the 16v version or even the vr6 conversion is very tempting depending on the insurance! But i am sure with the vr6 there are a whole load of other things to look out for?

Here are some links of cars I have been looking at:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1203644.htm - Bad rear cluster...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1986-D-Volkswagen-Golf-GTi-16v-3dr-Mk2-PETROL-MANUAL_W0QQitemZ120466080057QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item1c0c568139&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1808wt_1165 

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1287285.htm

Any opinions on those? I am finding it hard to get hold of one of these in good nic!

Cheers

Offline oakgreengolf

• I live here
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
Re: Looking to buy a mk2 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2009, 20:23 »
try the search function buddy, this site is pretty useful too http://www.matey-matey.com/

Offline Skywalker80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2009, 10:08 »
I personally would leave the Red VR6 conversion alone, I still think the engine is too heavy for the MK2 shell, and also there are too many poor conversions done.

The Oak Green is very nice, but personally i'd go for the that D plate 16v, if it runs as good as the pictures look it'll be an amazing car. Also the early shells are known to be the better for stiffness.

As oackgreengolf stated, the mateymatey website is very good, I used it before buying mine. Even though it is getting hard to find a good one now, don't rush into it, look at as many as you can and take them all out for a drive.
The prices for those in the links are getting close to top money, so there should be very little bodywork issues and the interior should be almost mint.
Golf MK2 8v small bumper
Seat Ibiza PD TDI 130 Sport (daily driver)

Offline Skywalker80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2009, 10:13 »
Also, don't be put off by high mileage, Golf's can put up with a stupid amount of miles, and also get better with age.

Check this old top gear guide out, also shows how the engine gets better with more miles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TLbwJxZqtg
Golf MK2 8v small bumper
Seat Ibiza PD TDI 130 Sport (daily driver)

Offline Sonic2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2009, 10:32 »
Always ask the seller why they are selling the car too.

If it's a shed, chances are they will hesitate and can't look you in the eye to tell you the true reason they're selling it.

If everything is in good working order though, take things from there. I guess with any high milage car you just have to be maticulous on looking out for faults and haggle the price with them if they are not pointed out to you.

shrocco

« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2009, 10:36 »
that's silly money you're looking at there

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2009, 11:45 »

Agreed.
The only one thats looks worth a look is the oak green one.
Still silly money.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2009, 11:54 »

+2 silly money.

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2009, 13:57 »
Wasn't there a guy on here willing to offer £7000 for a mint oak green, low milage 3 door? He couldn't find one as far as I'm aware.

The early one is rare and a collector's item.

It all depends on how much work you want to put into it yourself. £1000 would get you a servicable 16v which will need a bit of work doing, £2000 should get you something nice. Only the mint cars command £2500+

16v engines tend to need a bottom end rebuild around 150k, but some go for longer. 8v are more hardy (or aren't stressed as much :smiley: ) and usually go to 250k. That said some cars for sale have already had their engine rebuilt.

Try to avoid Pistonheads and ebay, as the cars tend to be priced higher there - instead use the Classifieds on this forum, and other owner sites such as vwgolfmk2 and clubgti. In just the last two weeks I have seen a number of fairly tidy valvers for sale for less than £1000.
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Driver888

« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2009, 18:00 »