Author Topic: HELP - Clutch pedal stuck to the floor  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
HELP - Clutch pedal stuck to the floor
« on: 09 August 2020, 16:16 »
Looking for advice on the following. Driving home this afternoon the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. The clutch pedal can be lifted off the floor but there is no clutch engagement. I managed to get home with a bit of good luck.

Has this happened to anyone else? The brake fluid reservoir is under the empty mark (fluid was changed around 8 months ago) and I believe the clutch shares the same fluid?

I am confident this incident is linked to warranty work completed around 3 months ago when the rear main seal was replaced.

The car is still under factory warranty. Will the warranty cover recovery to the dealer? I assume there is a degree of dealer goodwill involved but interested to hear your view guys?

I am also concerned what other damage this type of fluid leak could cause, I would hope the potential points of failure are designed to minimise the risk of secondary damage caused by the clutch fluid leak. Again would appreciate your comments.

2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: HELP - Clutch pedal stuck to the floor
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2020, 17:06 »
Sorry to hear that, does sound like a failed seal. Along with the factory warranty you should have VW Assist. If you call them (AA I think or possibly RAC) they should attend and recover the car. I hope you get it sorted quickly.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2020, 17:23 »
Thanks Watts. It’s into the fourth year of an extended factory warranty so not sure about VW Assist but hope it is included, as paying for a recovery service would feel a tad unfair.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2020, 17:32 »
VW breakdown cover is only free for the first year and nothing to do with manufacturer warranty.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2020, 17:37 by Aparat »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2020, 17:35 »
I agree, they should recover it at their expense but no doubt they will want to play the innocent. I think VW Assist may only be for 3 years though but worth checking.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2020, 18:19 »
Had the same, clutch slave cylinder went pop for me.  They had to replace the clutch plates as well as they got contaminated with hydraulic fluid.  £900 parts and labour with my favourite indi.
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline radox

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2020, 19:03 »
Something similar happened to my Mk 7 a couple of years ago. It needed a new clutch cylinder. See https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk7/clutch-cylinder

The garage who repaired mine said the hydraulic clutches in Mk 7's are complicated and when they fail, anything can happen!

Hope that helps,
Stuart
https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk7

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2020, 20:29 »
VW breakdown cover is only free for the first year and nothing to do with manufacturer warranty.

VW used to do what they called the "mobility guarantee" if you got your car serviced within the VW dealership, up to 5 years old (the length of the standard or extended warranty). It was never really sold as a perk to dealership servicing but it used to be anonymously placed towards the last few pages of the brochure for your VW car.

You didn't get cover for putting diesel in your TSI or having a flat tyre, but if your car broke down through parts failure/leakage, they'd come and get it FOC and take it to the dealership to be fixed under warranty.

They might still do it, but just not shout about it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.