Author Topic: Thinking about moving from a 1.5 tsi 150 dsg to a 2019 gti dsg  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
Hi as the title suggest. I’m thinking about trading in my 2019 gt 1.5 150 dsg for a 2019 gti. I do generally do short runs.  A few questions. What’s the mpg going to be like? What’s is it like to own. Is it worth the extra £4400 they want for cost to change. It’s a 2019 indium grey 245 with Brescias. With 7000 miles No sunroof or leather. I do like my car tho and only have a 2000 miles on it.  It’s just I always end up buying wheels and stuff. I thought I may just get the gti. Thanks in advance
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
I'm not sure what answer you are expecting given that you are asking this on a GTI forum! Yes! Do it! I had a 1.5TSI as a loan car once and while it was a Golf and okay, a GTI will be more exciting. My PP was a MK7 manual so not quite the same but economy was excellent, 35mpg regularly, 40+ on a long run, 50 when bored. A DSG may be 3-5 mpg less but I'm sure someone will come along and confirm that.

Brescias are a great looking wheel, the standard interior is excellent and although I rather like a sunroof, it's not essential. Ultimately it's your money but the GTI is very well specced, decent economy and really great to drive. Good luck with your decision :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
Thankyou mate I appreciate your words of wisdom, I understand this is a mainly gti forum but it’s nice to see if people have driven the 1.5
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
No problem, I am biased but the GTI is exciting, the 1.5TSI competent. Ultimately it's personal preference. I don't know what your budget is like but a TCR if in budget is a good step up too :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
TCR is just out my price range, I did see a nice white on autotrader and got me thinkin but out of my reach

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
£4400 cost to change?

Get it done!

My initial thoughts when seeing you’d only done 2k miles was “ouch, that’s going to be massive depreciation for such little use” which is something I’m very familiar with myself.
Then I pondered the cost to change for almost a whole nanosecond and came to the conclusion I’d probably chew their arm off for that.

The GTI will cost a bit more to run but not heaps more and you’re not doing massive miles so will hardly notice it.
£4400 for all the extra satisfaction of owning the GTI which will also be worth more than the 1.5 when you come to sell it negating most, if not all of the cost to change.

I look forward to seeing the photos!  :wink:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
£4400 cost to change?

Get it done!

My initial thoughts when seeing you’d only done 2k miles was “ouch, that’s going to be massive depreciation for such little use” which is something I’m very familiar with myself.
Then I pondered the cost to change for almost a whole nanosecond and came to the conclusion I’d probably chew their arm off for that.

The GTI will cost a bit more to run but not heaps more and you’re not doing massive miles so will hardly notice it.
£4400 for all the extra satisfaction of owning the GTI which will also be worth more than the 1.5 when you come to sell it negating most, if not all of the cost to change.

I look forward to seeing the photos!  :wink:
As soon as they mentioned that figure ad a said l will sign now at 4k just to see if they went for it  :grin: and they would

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
So is there anything wrong with the 2019s as over the mk7 owners club there seems to be a whole topic discussing 2019 stalling issues, has me a bit concerned. Thanks

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
You can probably find issues with most cars if you look hard enough! There were a couple of people on here with stalling issues but it hasn't featured often nor for quite sometime that I've noticed. Mine is a 2019 and I've not had that problem. They're a great car, for that cost to change, seriously, go for it!

So what spec is the car you are looking at?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
So is there anything wrong with the 2019s as over the mk7 owners club there seems to be a whole topic discussing 2019 stalling issues, has me a bit concerned. Thanks

Can’t remember reading anything on this forum about GTI stalling issues. If that stalling issue is fuel-related (maybe it is, maybe it isn’t), then it could be down to the quality of fuel sold in USA/Canada - bearing in mind the vast majority of forum members on golfmk7.com are based in USA/Can.

Having said that, VW’s 1.5 EVO engine that you have in your current Golf has a reputation for ‘kangaroo-ing’ before it’s fully warmed up and it didn’t put you off getting a Golf with that engine - although maybe you weren’t aware of the issue (quite a few unhappy owners on many of the VAG forums with kangaroo-ing VW’s, Audi’s, Seat’s snd Skoda’s fitted with the 1.5 engine).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl