Author Topic: Selling up advice  (Read 6162 times)

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
Selling up advice
« on: 05 June 2021, 10:43 »
Hi guys.

With puppy on the way, I've made a difficult decision to sell my 2018 mk7.5PP, likely to get an Octavia VRS estate.

Anyone with any recent experience of selling, ideally not private sale (can't be doing with the hassle) - WBAC, Motorway, VW dealers apparently looking for stock.....? Any recommendation for brokers maybe?

Cheers.
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Selling up advice
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2021, 10:55 »
Going with the petrol VRS or the dirty diesel?  :wink:  A friend has the mk3 VRS and the small touches it has where the golf doesn't are incredible.

Well recently the prices of all cars have actually go up in trade in's and people are getting about £500 more than last month. Depending on mileage I'd expect to see anywhere from low £16k to high £18k.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2021, 11:33 »
Part ex when getting the new car? When I got the GTI I part exed my last car and got more than book price for it with haggling.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2021, 11:47 »
Hi guys.

With puppy on the way, I've made a difficult decision to sell my 2018 mk7.5PP, likely to get an Octavia VRS estate.

Anyone with any recent experience of selling, ideally not private sale (can't be doing with the hassle) - WBAC, Motorway, VW dealers apparently looking for stock.....? Any recommendation for brokers maybe?

Cheers.

Advice would be to do your homework and get valuation quotes from the likes of WBAC, Motorway and Wizzle, and check out what your local VW dealer would offer too. Don’t overlook part exchanging against the replacement car; because of the worldwide shortage of computer chips which is impacting new car production, there’s a high demand for good late date cars and dealers seem willing to pay premium prices for the ‘right’ cars. There’s a part ex valuation tool on VW’s website, which is probably lagging behind the current market position on used car part exchange prices (i.e. it’s p/ex valuations are likely to be on the low side). However, it’ll give you a view of what a VW may offer currently as a minimum if you were to part exchange your car.

With car buying services like WBAC, Motorway and Wizzle, always be honest and up front about any defects or cosmetic damage - even very small stone chips. That way, there’s less chance of any valuation deductions for damage when they view the car, and you’re less likely to be disappointed.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2021, 18:12 »
WBAC send me a text every couple of weeks and my car has gone up £2k in the last 6 weeks!
« Last Edit: 06 June 2021, 06:46 by Kpow99 »
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2021, 20:07 »
Cheers guys for all your replies.

I'm looking at the petrol VRS. Never going back to diesel...

I'll start putting info in and see what prices are looking like.

Also had an email from the local VW garage looking to buy stock, so will try them too.
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2021, 22:09 »
 Folks. I am also about to leave the GTi stable. Only had it 15 months and have enjoyed it and always wanted one. However,  I have suffered with stomach problems on and off for many years and even on the 18 inch standard suspension find the ride a bit firm and with possibly a puppy on the way shortly and looking further in head to grandkids et cetera have decided now is the time to make the move given that the values are pretty firm at present. I have decided to get a Skoda Karoq 1.5 DSG Sel (with virtual cockpit of course 😀😀)  Copied my son who got one a few months ago and I’ve been really impressed with it and it will suit my needs I think a bit better in the future. I will probably still deep into the forum now and again  as you are all such a friendly knowledgeable bunch.   In case anyone wishes to know. I tried to sell my car via motorway and the sale value came up about 1600 quid less than the initial guide price. Bit disappointed as it’s only got a couple of minor stone chips et cetera. Will also try we buy any car as their value is pretty strong and hopefully will get over and above what the dealer have offered as a part exchange. Either way I have managed to come out with positive equity thanks to the 0% deal I was on. Happy motoring and stay  safe
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2021, 23:08 »
Friend sold a Porsche 911 via WBAC and it sounded pretty painless. He got more than he would have from a dealer and a lot less hassle than selling something like that privately. They only knocked off about £200 for some small stone chips.

I am thinking of selling my Golf TCR through Motorway as it looks favourable with my current settlement figure. Then I will buy a rubbish car to pop to the shops in while I decide what to buy and save up some money from the payments I'll no longer be making.

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2021, 07:56 »
Update. Thanks for the advice on using Wizzle. Put the car on, uploaded some photo’s, got a really strong offer from a dealer, agreed the sale, and they are collecting it today. All in the space of 48 hours!

Ended up going for a 2018 Skoda Octavia VRS petrol. Seems a good compromise on space vs pace  :wink:
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2021, 09:14 »
Have used WBAC twice and each time the online valuation was way over the price offered and over what personally expected and this is with 2 x clean cars, so it was not me hoodwinking them on condition, they even do a paint thickness test.

However, the price i wanted was realistic and between the online and their initial, which made clear would happily walk away if not receive and as they were good clean cars, they actually did not want to let me walk, and we agreed good price.

That all sounds a lot, but its 10 mins to get quote and arrange inspection, the inspection is about 20 mins including all documents and about 10 mins on the haggle (as he called his manager, yes really, that one!)

So with these, its matter of setting self a realistic price you could sale private, and if these companies within that ballpark you make the sale, if they are not, you just walk and try the next one, which if you keep having to do that, your expectations are too high, so would say the diligence to understand a good price underpins everything - as someone has said, due to multiple reasons its a good time to sale at moment as know couple how have been pleasantly surprised recently at work, one on Motorway and other on Wizzle
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC