Author Topic: Diamond Cut Refurb or Powder Coating?  (Read 10526 times)

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
Diamond Cut Refurb or Powder Coating?
« on: 15 May 2021, 10:09 »
I've seen a few internet discussions regarding the pro's and con's of diamond cut refurbs and powder coating refurbs, but nothing concerning powder coating diamond cut alloys. My experience with diamond cut wheels is like many, not good, as they just don't seem fit for purpose when it comes to durability. So, should I get my diamond cut alloys refurbed, or get them powder coated? If powder coated, would it be possible to copy the same design/colours? Looking at the attached photograph, do you think I'm being too precious and should leave them as they are (all four wheels are of a similar condition)? Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully received.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Diamond Cut Refurb or Powder Coating?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2021, 10:57 »
100% agree on the durability issues associated with diamond cut alloys - I dislike them with a passion!

There are one or two forum members who’ve had their diamond cut alloys refurbished in a two colour paint / powder coat finish to replicate the diamond cut appearance without the white worm issues associated with diamond cut wheels. However, refurbishing in a two tone paint / powder coat finish is likely to be quite a bit more expensive getting them done in a single colour; once the first colour has been applied, there’s lots of precision masking up required before the second colour can be applied to the parts that are currently diamond cut. That precision masking up is likely to be quite a time consuming process, and time is money to wheel refurb companies. Additionally, I don’t think all wheel refurb companies would do a two tone paint / powder coat finish because it is a relatively time consuming, labour intensive process.

I’ve seen pictures on various forums of Santiago and Negaro (mk7 GTD) alloys refurbished in a single colour - anthracite / gun metal colour - and IMHO that colour works well with a Tornado Red car. Here’s a set on a Diamond Black GTI;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=278775.0

Edit; there’s a picture of a Tornado Red mk7 GTD in post #12 in the discussion thread at the link below where the Diamond cut Nogaro alloys have been refurbished in a single colour (anthracite grey), and the white GTD in post #66 the OEM Nogaro’s have been refurbished in Audi Grey.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-gtd-owner-from-northern-ireland.345425/

Edit no.2; Here’s the discussion thread where forum member GolfTi has their diamond cut Austin alloys refurbished in a two tone powder coat finish to replicate the original diamond cut finish. Cost last year was £140 per wheel - that compares to around £80+VAT per wheel for a good quality single colour paint / powder coat refurb or £100+VAT for diamond cut on a 19” alloy (Lepsons prices; https://www.lepsons.com/prices/)

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286595.msg2622409#msg2622409
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 11:20 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2021, 14:57 »

Bought my car with painted diamond cut wheels.
I'd say maybe consider a diamond cut refurb once (I believe they can only be refurbed once anyway?). Then after that get them painted something different. Once they're painted it makes it a lot easier for them to be repaired/touched up

I also think diamond cut wheels are useless and should be scrapped. The negatives far outweigh the positives for me and I'm terrified in case one gets damaged at their prices

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2021, 15:57 »
Having see a few diamond cut refurbs recently at my local refurbisher, my summary is as follows:

I'd stick with diamond cut on the Santiagos I don't think they lend themselves that well to being a full single colour, and can look cheap when done so. If I were doing it I'd have diamond cut with Aston martin sparkly grey replacing the gloss black, same with Brescias or Cadiz alloys. I'd definitely ask your refurber if they can do a two-tone paint with silver on the front and grey on the back, at least you get half your desired look.

That being said I did see a nice set of Santiagos done in a standard Pretoria gloss grey colour and it did look well against a white car.

I'm a fan of diamond cut alloys but dislike their durability hence why I've always removed mine before they got whiteworm for painted alloys or refurbed them a full colour for winter use.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2021, 16:30 »
I think those Santiago which have been powdered on the black GTI look really good.

Diamond cut look good too, right up to the point the laquer gets compromised then you know the inevitable going to happen, then they look bloody awful.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2021, 17:29 »
I think those Santiago which have been powdered on the black GTI look really good.

Diamond cut look good too, right up to the point the laquer gets compromised then you know the inevitable going to happen, then they look bloody awful.

I think they look good powder coated too.

On my last car I took the diamond cut alloys off and fitted a set of powder coated alloys shortly after getting the car. Those wheels were on the car for nearly 4.5 years and in spite of going through 4 winters they looked pretty much the same as they did 4.5 years earlier when they were new. I doubt the same could’ve been said about the factory diamond cut alloys if I’d left them on the car.

I put the diamond cut alloys back on the car just before I sold it. The powder coated alloys sold within 4 days of advertising them - the buyer wanted them as they were fed up with the white worm issues on their diamond cut wheels………………..
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2021, 20:56 »
I put the diamond cut alloys back on the car just before I sold it. The powder coated alloys sold within 4 days of advertising them - the buyer wanted them as they were fed up with the white worm issues on their diamond cut wheels………………..

*Notes down - Hide diamond cuts, buy nice BBS to be 'economical' incase wife asks*  :wink:  It was the same with the old polished lip alloys had to break out the autosol every wash!

If you could guarantee diamond wouldn't white worm we'd all stick with the factory options, that being said if the OP runs winter alloys the diamond should last.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2021, 21:40 »

If you could guarantee diamond wouldn't white worm we'd all stick with the factory options, that being said if the OP runs winter alloys the diamond should last.

Agree, I could probably live with the ‘bling’ looks if we knew for certain they wouldn’t suffer from white worm if looked after.

Winter alloys would be a solution - it’d be interesting to know if white worm is an issue in those countries where winter tyres are mandatory; most owners will run their winter tyres on steel wheels rather than just swap the tyres on their diamond cut alloys.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2021, 06:19 »
Technically diamond cut alloys don’t need to be lacquered, but you have to protect them regularly with a sealant or other protector. Whiteworm is a problem with the lacquer (not helped by how well lacquer bonds to the diamond cut finish) so not applying it after a refurb is an option.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2021, 11:53 »
What about a coating of clear plasti dip on top of the diamond cut finish to act as a sacrificial layer?