Author Topic: Grubby Bells  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Grubby Bells
« on: 26 September 2021, 12:01 »
Ahoy there Clubsport owners (TCR owners pay attention too).

Have any of you found a non abrasive brush that gets off the stubborn brake dust from the indents on the front bells?
I’ve tried and failed to get it all off with various brushes ranging from a boar’s arse hair detailing brush, my wife’s Oral-B when she wasn’t looking  :whistle: and a small paint brush.
It’s going to be a nightmare over winter when I can’t clean the car weekly.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Grubby Bells
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2021, 15:52 »
You've been cleaning your car weekly? I didn't think that was your thing :whistle: :laugh:

Spray them with some iron fallout cleaner then a brush and powerwash?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2021, 16:12 »
Eek! I don’t normally like chemicals near my bells!
I might have to relent. Thanks Watts

I do try and clean my car weekly when I can.
It doesn’t ever get waxed or even sprayed with QD very often these days but I do try and squeeze in a wash.
I might be allergic to detailing threads but I’m not averse to a drop of shampoo  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2021, 17:24 »
Eek! I don’t normally like chemicals near my bells!
I might have to relent. Thanks Watts

I do try and clean my car weekly when I can.
It doesn’t ever get waxed or even sprayed with QD very often these days but I do try and squeeze in a wash.
I might be allergic to detailing threads but I’m not averse to a drop of shampoo  :whistle:

:laugh:

My car is on the bi-annual wash routine :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2021, 21:19 »
I've two suggestions for you, both are the exact same just different colours:

1. Prep them and spray them silver, then lacquer over them with clear enamel paint.

2. Prep them and spray them satin black, then lacquer over them with clear enamel paint.

Personally satin black is my choice, I've tried the silver on my current car and it just doesn't stay clean, I'll be going back to black next tyre rotation.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2021, 14:14 »
Also looking for a good solution outside of painting etc
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Sean G

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2021, 17:43 »
One of these type brushes the yellow one would be the best and a non abrasive or mildly abrasive cleaner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2021, 15:46 »

1. Prep them and spray them silver, then lacquer over them with clear enamel paint.

2. Prep them and spray them satin black, then lacquer over them with clear enamel paint.

Personally satin black is my choice, I've tried the silver on my current car and it just doesn't stay clean, I'll be going back to black next tyre rotation.

I love this suggestion and it was my thought too when inspecting the rough finish of the hubs and bells when the car was new but unfortunately my car doesn’t sit still long enough for me to commit to that level of preventative measure, plus I’m old, lazy, inept and so on  :whistle:
« Last Edit: 28 September 2021, 15:49 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2021, 16:06 »

I love this suggestion and it was my thought too when inspecting the rough finish of the hubs and bells when the car was new but unfortunately my car doesn’t sit still long enough for me to commit to that level of preventative measure, plus I’m old, lazy, inept and so on  :whistle:

If you're willing to part with a bit more money than the cost of materials, most detailers tend to offer the service, which if you're not a patient person/value your time isn't that much money.  :smiley:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2021, 20:10 »
Did you manage to sort your grubby balls, er bells Exonian?