Author Topic: Noob Mk8 questions  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
Re: Noob Mk8 questions
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2021, 15:58 »
DSG is the perfect do all box. Most of the time I drive and sit in traffic the seamless gearbox really does make normal day to day driving effortless. I do miss the tactility of gears and (attempting to) heal toe shifts and blipping the throttle.

I do think the Mk8 DSG is better than the 7.5 the software seems a step up and the shifts are definitely crisper, manual mode is pretty good and doesn't revert straight back to auto mode like for example Mercedes does but I miss knocking the gearstick over on the 7.5 into manual mode.

Sadly with the Clubsport manual was never an option anyway!
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2021, 19:04 »
Welcome Andy  :smiley:

It’s great to hear of someone actually ordering a manual Mk8.

Today I spent over an hour sat in a traffic jam in my DSG and around an hour in the other direction sat in an ID.3
Both of those are the ideal thing for sitting in mostly standing traffic. Except the aircon in the ID is a bit poop and the petrol uses too much fuel keeping said aircon running on a hot September day (because some idiot forgot to bring a bottle of water).

However, when you really want to drive (or more to the point - traffic permits you to drive) there’s no beating a manual sports hatch. You can be in exactly the right gear at any moment, no DSG lag, no screaming an inappropriate gear, no fiddling with paddles which don’t allow you to change more than one gear at a time…
And that interaction between driver and machine is just irreplaceable.

Full marks to those of you sticking to your guns and getting a manual.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jason27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2021, 20:22 »
Hi Andy

I took delivery of my moonstone grey Gti in May manual box ordered it without test drive. being old git I’ve only had manual box on every car I’ve owned ..... your right not as quick not as green but on the back roads nothing like it for driver involvement . Did read an article from a German car magazine that VW may stop offering any manual boxes across their whole range as early as 2023. The new Passat will be auto only apparently. So a Mk 8 manual GTI is looking like it could be a rare beast.

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2021, 20:33 »
I have ordered a manual. I did test drive the DSG and though it was fantastic, however, like you, I wanted to feel more connected to the car so just took the plunge on a manual.

The way I look at it, it will be too soon before we are all driving EVs which are automatic, so enjoy a new manual car while you can!
Thats a good point. Part of the reason I went for the cs is because it’s the last ice car I’ll probably own. Unfortunately my mrs can only drive auto so manual was never an option for us. :cry:

Offline mynameiskris

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2021, 08:29 »
I have ordered a manual. I did test drive the DSG and though it was fantastic, however, like you, I wanted to feel more connected to the car so just took the plunge on a manual.

The way I look at it, it will be too soon before we are all driving EVs which are automatic, so enjoy a new manual car while you can!
Thats a good point. Part of the reason I went for the cs is because it’s the last ice car I’ll probably own. Unfortunately my mrs can only drive auto so manual was never an option for us. :cry:

I was so tempted by the CS for that same reason too but alas, it was just outside my budget right now and the fact it was DSG only was the nail in the coffin. I am very envious though!
Current:
2021/22 Golf GTI, Manual, Pure White, Adelaide, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Offline mynameiskris

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2021, 08:31 »
Andy, glad you are finding the community to be welcoming. It is extremely rare for anyone to be rude on this forum so don't be afraid to ask anything.
Current:
2021/22 Golf GTI, Manual, Pure White, Adelaide, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Offline Andysills

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2021, 09:09 »
Thanks Guys,

I know there will be times in traffic when I wish I'd gone for the DSG! 

'Drive the deal' has come up with a good price for me, my only concern is the 57 week lead time which Breeze VW have quoted for Golfs ! The good news for GTI owners is that this shortage is likely to keep second hand prices up for at least the next year.

Really pleased to have found this forum to be so friendly - must be something about GTI owners and fans !  :smiley:

Andy

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2021, 10:09 »
This is a really good forum - if you like your car even a little, its a great place to be.

I wouldn't even say I'm a petrol head and I've never upgraded anything on a Golf! Yet here I am and I love it!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2021, 12:50 »
Thanks Guys,

I know there will be times in traffic when I wish I'd gone for the DSG! 

'Drive the deal' has come up with a good price for me, my only concern is the 57 week lead time which Breeze VW have quoted for Golfs ! The good news for GTI owners is that this shortage is likely to keep second hand prices up for at least the next year.

Really pleased to have found this forum to be so friendly - must be something about GTI owners and fans !  :smiley:

Andy

Agreed a lot of knowledge, everyone is very friendly and helpful.
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 22 September 2021, 14:51 »
...It is extremely rare for anyone to be rude on this forum so don't be afraid to ask anything.
I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!  :tongue:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport