Author Topic: New Mk8 GTI collected today - couple of issues!  (Read 4796 times)

VW_Golf_nut

Re: New Mk8 GTI collected today - couple of issues!
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2021, 11:35 »
Good morning everyone and thanks for your replies - they're much appreciated.

That's not right....are you in the UK? UK performance golfs don't have anything needing unlocking like that...
Sure he's in the smoke.

I am in the UK Fred and as suggested in the smoke. So firstly the ambient lighting is a non issue. I assumed (wrongly) that the ambient lighting would be on all of the time but after getting into the car yesterday evening the ambient lights came on when I fired up the engine and the auto headlights came on. Still unsure however as to what the Dynamic Background Lighting thing is in the shop? I 'purchased' the free 1 month trial just to see what it did and I really can't see what it does if anything? It looks to me like another money grabbing exercise by VW and I certainly won't be wasting £35 on it that's for sure!

Thirty odd grand and they hand it over scratched, no way.

List price was £39,909 Dav3smith!!

As for the scratch on the infotainment surround? I emailed the salesman at the dealership (Motorline Gatwick) I bought the car from and sent him photos. After speaking with him told me that he would speak to their warranty / parts / service manager (can't remember who!) on Monday as his wasn't available Saturday PM and would get back to to let me know how they would get this resolved. He did assure me that they would get it sorted.

Having slept on it however I'm going to send him another email today and, if I can find the dealership managers email address, copy him in also to ask why this wasn't picked up in the Pre Delivery Inspection. Admittedly I only spotted the scratch after getting home and delved into the infotainment to get things setup but surely they should be going over the car with a fine tooth comb? Isn't that what the PDI is for?

One of two things has happened. Either they spotted it and declined to mention it to me in the hope that I would not spot it or whoever did the PDI just didn't do a good enough job. Either way my heart sank when I saw the scratch and it 100% took the gloss off of what should have been a really happy day for me. This GTI is a big purchase for me and it's hugely disappointing that the car was handed over to me with this damage.

I've now got to go down the route of taking the car back to them when they get the part (assuming they can?) and be without my car for an unspecified number of days. This will of course all be at huge inconvenience to me and expense. Not to mention that to resolve the issue it looks like they may have to remove half of the dash to replace it - it doesn't seem (to me at least) that this will be a straightforward job. I did also notice a buzz / rattle coming from the dash grill when driving over rougher road surfaces so will mention this to them also. I think this issue is a fairly common one with Mk 8 Golfs so hopefully they can resolve this issue also? I would also hope that when my car goes in to get the issue resolved that they would give me a courtesy car free of change and hopefully offer me some sort of compensation for the disappointment and inconvenience caused.

At least you've got the evidence I'm guessing that was at the dealership because they may try and shift the blame if you've driven it away. Let us know what they say when you get in touch and good luck.

It would be pretty ballsy of them to try and suggest that the damage happened after I drove the car away! I took some photos of the car in the showroom when I purchased it two weeks ago and having looked at the photos closely you can make out that the scratch was there before I bought it. It's faint in the photos as the light wasn't good and I wasn't focussing on the scratch as I didn't spot it then but it's definitely there!

Another thing that annoyed me and I know that this is me being super pedantic but my owners handbook came with a dirty mark on the front of it! Am I being unreasonable that this should have reached me in perfect condition also? If you went into a bookshop and picked this off the shelf and spotted the dirty mark you wouldn't have bought it - you would have put that copy back and picked up a copy in perfect condition!! It looks to me like a dirty thumbprint that they tried to wipe clean.

Anyway other than these annoyances the car drove lovely on the way home and it does look amazing also especially when the sun is shining as the Atlantic Blue colour just pops!

I'll drop some updates on here as and when I get them.

Thanks again everyone  :smiley:

I had dirty marks on my owners manual as well! Dealer advised cost was £44 inc VAT for a replacement,  they gave me thr money and I managed to clean the manual up with a diluted isopropyl alcohol solution....not what I expected from Volkswagen though!!

Offline TommyCockles

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 27 June 2021, 11:46 »
I had dirty marks on my owners manual as well! Dealer advised cost was £44 inc VAT for a replacement,  they gave me thr money and I managed to clean the manual up with a diluted isopropyl alcohol solution....not what I expected from Volkswagen though!!

I'm going to mention it in the email I send them today!

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 27 June 2021, 11:58 »
Lovely car, try not to let the probs spoil your experience
2016 GTD

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #13 on: 27 June 2021, 12:05 »
I remember now that they said the sticker on the inside of the front cover with the model details is a one time printed sticker at factory and cannot be reordered, this is what made me get on and try and clean it.

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #14 on: 27 June 2021, 14:32 »
Great colour same as mine!

I was pondering whether to order the dynamic ambient lighting there was a discussion about it on the Facebook group! There is a setting in the ambient lighting that is greyed out in mine “lighting effects” which I assume is what this is if you go into that menu what is there in it?
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline TommyCockles

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 27 June 2021, 15:21 »

I'm going to mention it in the email I send them today!

Just to add also £44 for that paper manual is nothing short of ludicrous!

Offline TommyCockles

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 27 June 2021, 15:28 »
Great colour same as mine!

I was pondering whether to order the dynamic ambient lighting there was a discussion about it on the Facebook group! There is a setting in the ambient lighting that is greyed out in mine “lighting effects” which I assume is what this is if you go into that menu what is there in it?

Atlantic Blue was the same colour I had on my previous facelift R-Line Golf. Really does pop when the sun is shining and I do really like it. That said I think my preference would have been for Dolphin Grey but this one ticked plenty of boxes with the added options and was in stock and available.

Yeah I noticed that the Lighting Effects setting was greyed out and can only assume is unlocked when paying the £35 for the pack?

What's the Fb Group called? Worth joining?

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #17 on: 28 June 2021, 07:14 »
There’s two there’s a Mk8 Owners group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2485360805114073/?ref=share

And a Mk8 GTI/GTD/GTE/R owners group some friendly people in there too

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2001987776775126/?ref=share

Incidentally I downloaded the dynamic ambient lighting (free version) and can’t actually see any discernible difference in the options. Though having not taken it out at night yet I’m wondering if I now get some weird Ministry of Sound lighting effects when driving along!!!!  :laugh:
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline TommyCockles

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 05 July 2021, 14:51 »
There’s two there’s a Mk8 Owners group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2485360805114073/?ref=share

And a Mk8 GTI/GTD/GTE/R owners group some friendly people in there too

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2001987776775126/?ref=share

Incidentally I downloaded the dynamic ambient lighting (free version) and can’t actually see any discernible difference in the options. Though having not taken it out at night yet I’m wondering if I now get some weird Ministry of Sound lighting effects when driving along!!!!  :laugh:

Cheers for that foxy. Joined bother groups and all good  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 05 July 2021, 19:15 by TommyCockles »

Offline TommyCockles

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 05 July 2021, 15:05 »
So I've finally got an update on my scratched infotainment trim.

The dealership basically were very apologetic and said that the car should not have been handed over to me in that condition and that the scratch was missed during the PDI. The car is in with them now and they are replacing the damaged infotainment surround. Apparently it's not a particularly big job to do either.  They have given me their GTI demo as a courtesy car and have also said that they will leave a full tank of petrol in the car as a goodwill measure, so I naturally did not put in any fuel in before dropping it off!!! I think the range was showing as 70 miles!  :wink:

To be fair I think that a full tank of fuel is the least they should be doing for the aggravation caused but is very welcome nevertheless.

I also noticed a couple of other things since getting the car.

Firstly the steering wheel creaked when manoeuvring at low speed and the rear camera flickered intermittently. Has anyone experienced either of these?

They said that they are going to replace the airbag in the steering wheel to fix the creaking but have yet to replicate the rear camera flickering.

Hopefully it's not a major issue.

They are also going to replace the handbook. A minor issue but it should not have been handed over to me with a dirty mark on it!