Author Topic: New Mk8 GTI collected today - couple of issues!  (Read 4788 times)

Offline TommyCockles

• Not said much yet
New Mk8 GTI collected today - couple of issues!
« on: 26 June 2021, 12:44 »
So I picked up my new car this morning and absolutely over the moon with it however there's a couple of issues. Firstly for some reason the ambient lighting isn't working and it seems like I have to pay £35 to unlock it via the shop? Surely this isn't right? I wondering if when they have updated the software to 1803 that has somehow reset?

The other issue, and this is more pressing is that after getting home and setting up my VW Connect account on the car I have noticed a pretty bad scratch on the glossy plastic surround above the infotaintment screen. Being quite particular about my things now that I've seen this scratch I can't unsee it!  Surely this is something that the dealership should be sorting out?

I'd love to know what other forum users think about this? Would it bother you? Would you be on to the dealership to sort?

Ambient lighting asking for £35?!

Infotainment scratch

My New Car

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
Re: New Mk8 GTI collected today - couple of issues!
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2021, 13:10 »
Think I would be straight back to the dealership today regarding the scratch

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2021, 14:34 »
Thirty odd grand and they hand it over scratched, no way. Whoever has done the pre delivery inspection needs to explain that away.
At least you've got the evidence I'm guessing that was at the dealership because they may try and shift the blame if you've driven it away. As for the charge for the lighting, never heard of this sort of thing before but it's an ominous sign of a new revenue stream. I'm sure if it's in your spec though you'll be fine.
Let us know what they say when you get in touch and good luck.
GTI Clubsport ED45 DBP, DCC, HK, WP, Pano

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2021, 14:37 »
Dynamic background lighting sounds like something, over and above the normal ambient lighting?

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2021, 14:41 »
Blimey scary stuff, best turn the thing off. The Mrs will be booking a holiday on it when I nip out to put the fuel in.

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2021, 16:29 »
That's not right....are you in the UK? UK performance golfs don't have anything needing unlocking like that...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2021, 17:06 »
Sure he's in the smoke.

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2021, 01:28 »
That's not right....are you in the UK? UK performance golfs don't have anything needing unlocking like that...
Its in sterling so must be.

That is shocking, I’d be back to them straight away over that.

Offline TommyCockles

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2021, 10:13 »
Good morning everyone and thanks for your replies - they're much appreciated.

Sure he's in the smoke.

I am in the UK Fred and as suggested in the smoke. So firstly the ambient lighting is a non issue. I assumed (wrongly) that the ambient lighting would be on all of the time but after getting into the car yesterday evening the ambient lights came on when I fired up the engine and the auto headlights came on. Still unsure however as to what the Dynamic Background Lighting thing is in the shop? I 'purchased' the free 1 month trial just to see what it did and I really can't see what it does if anything? It looks to me like another money grabbing exercise by VW and I certainly won't be wasting £35 on it that's for sure!

Thirty odd grand and they hand it over scratched, no way.

List price was £39,909 Dav3smith!!

As for the scratch on the infotainment surround? I emailed the salesman at the dealership (Motorline Gatwick) I bought the car from and sent him photos. After speaking with him told me that he would speak to their warranty / parts / service manager (can't remember who!) on Monday as his wasn't available Saturday PM and would get back to to let me know how they would get this resolved. He did assure me that they would get it sorted.

Having slept on it however I'm going to send him another email today and, if I can find the dealership managers email address, copy him in also to ask why this wasn't picked up in the Pre Delivery Inspection. Admittedly I only spotted the scratch after getting home and delved into the infotainment to get things setup but surely they should be going over the car with a fine tooth comb? Isn't that what the PDI is for?

One of two things has happened. Either they spotted it and declined to mention it to me in the hope that I would not spot it or whoever did the PDI just didn't do a good enough job. Either way my heart sank when I saw the scratch and it 100% took the gloss off of what should have been a really happy day for me. This GTI is a big purchase for me and it's hugely disappointing that the car was handed over to me with this damage.

I've now got to go down the route of taking the car back to them when they get the part (assuming they can?) and be without my car for an unspecified number of days. This will of course all be at huge inconvenience to me and expense. Not to mention that to resolve the issue it looks like they may have to remove half of the dash to replace it - it doesn't seem (to me at least) that this will be a straightforward job. I did also notice a buzz / rattle coming from the dash grill when driving over rougher road surfaces so will mention this to them also. I think this issue is a fairly common one with Mk 8 Golfs so hopefully they can resolve this issue also? I would also hope that when my car goes in to get the issue resolved that they would give me a courtesy car free of change and hopefully offer me some sort of compensation for the disappointment and inconvenience caused.

At least you've got the evidence I'm guessing that was at the dealership because they may try and shift the blame if you've driven it away. Let us know what they say when you get in touch and good luck.

It would be pretty ballsy of them to try and suggest that the damage happened after I drove the car away! I took some photos of the car in the showroom when I purchased it two weeks ago and having looked at the photos closely you can make out that the scratch was there before I bought it. It's faint in the photos as the light wasn't good and I wasn't focussing on the scratch as I didn't spot it then but it's definitely there!

Another thing that annoyed me and I know that this is me being super pedantic but my owners handbook came with a dirty mark on the front of it! Am I being unreasonable that this should have reached me in perfect condition also? If you went into a bookshop and picked this off the shelf and spotted the dirty mark you wouldn't have bought it - you would have put that copy back and picked up a copy in perfect condition!! It looks to me like a dirty thumbprint that they tried to wipe clean.

Anyway other than these annoyances the car drove lovely on the way home and it does look amazing also especially when the sun is shining as the Atlantic Blue colour just pops!

I'll drop some updates on here as and when I get them.

Thanks again everyone  :smiley:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2021, 11:12 »
It is a beautiful colour.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras