Author Topic: latest software?  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
Re: latest software?
« Reply #20 on: 28 June 2021, 11:01 »
How quickly did the faults manifest themselves? Were they there from pretty much day one? I personally have turned keyless entry off for now anyway as I hardly use it in my wife’s car

Everything seemed fine at first, then errors and faults in the software have progressively appeared. I have no idea why.

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 23 July 2021, 18:23 »
After having my software updated to 1668, everything at the moment seems to be fine. One thing that happened whilst driving north to Scottish Borders---Voice control activated itself, my fingers were now where near the button, she announced places to eat in London--made me smile.

Offline SammyD

• Just got here
« Reply #22 on: 23 July 2021, 19:43 »
In this video, the dash is showing a large red 'M' next to the gear number.  Do other see this?  I haven't seen it yet? 

Running 1668.

https://youtu.be/6tQyVJq1ORg?t=545

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 23 July 2021, 20:56 »
In this video, the dash is showing a large red 'M' next to the gear number.  Do other see this?  I haven't seen it yet? 

Running 1668.

https://youtu.be/6tQyVJq1ORg?t=545

If you look closely you’ll see presenter in the video manually changing gear using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. In my Polo GTI+ which is DSG, when you manually change gear, the gear indicator on the instrument display is preceded by an ‘M’.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 24 July 2021, 08:10 »
You only see M if you are in sport mode (gear lever flicked to S) and then you use the paddles to enable manual mode. Then you get the manual gear indicator.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SammyD

• Just got here
« Reply #25 on: 28 July 2021, 00:38 »
I am certainly getting confused with this digital dashboard...

I have done 3500 miles in my CS, with many done by selecting Sport using the D/N/S selector and then manually shifting gears, but I have never seen the big red 'M' next to each number in the centre dial as per the video: https://youtu.be/6tQyVJq1ORg?t=545

When I select Sport from the centre console I simply get the gear notification in the bottom left hand corner under the left hand gauge in white.  If I then shift up using the paddles the numbers go from S to M, eg: S2, S3, M4, M5.

Then this evening when driving home and going through all the different views, I seemed to get stuck on the Lap Timer in the centre dial.  After a few minutes of trying to cycle back to the rev counter, I managed to lose the Lap Timer but I can no longer get the main 'GTI' Rev Counter with the hexagon graphics!!

I am only getting simple options of Fuel Consumption, ACC, and a small very standard MPH reading.  No GTI Rev Counter and no Lap Timer.

I've been through the Setup menus that reside in the left and right gauge views, but as far as I can see these only apply to these side gauges and not the centre one.

What am I missing?!!?  :embarrassed: :sad:

Running 1668

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #26 on: 28 July 2021, 09:23 »
When you say buggy is it lags in the infotainment or something else?

I managed to book mine in after my hols. Went back out to the car and the SOS issue had cleared but we will see next time it changes comms mast (or whatever it is that causes it to drop signal).

Seeing so many people rejecting their cars due to ongoing issues is concerning lets hope I don't have to go down that route on what is otherwise a fantastic car.
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 28 July 2021, 09:40 »
Yeah there seem to be a few on the R forum who have either rejected the car or have been given 6 months for the software to improve before they reject it. It’s a bizarre situation for a huge company to be in. Just don’t understand why they just didn’t make sure the software was spot on before releasing the car. Surely they’ve employed a proper cutting edge company to develop it? Obviously not.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 28 July 2021, 10:22 »
Yeah there seem to be a few on the R forum who have either rejected the car or have been given 6 months for the software to improve before they reject it. It’s a bizarre situation for a huge company to be in. Just don’t understand why they just didn’t make sure the software was spot on before releasing the car. Surely they’ve employed a proper cutting edge company to develop it? Obviously not.

I think that because the initial date for the mk8 going on sale was delayed due to software issues, it would have been embarrassing for VW to extend that delay further to ensure sufficient time to fully correct and test software changes / fixes prior to opening the order books. I dare say VW felt that the cost of lost sales through an extended delay would be too great compared to the cost retrospectively fixing the software issues - factory production facilities would’ve also all been geared up to build the mk8 - so VW would’ve taken the decision to open the order books, build the cars and fix software issues retrospectively. IMO I think that may prove to be quite a costly exercise for VW in terms of frustrated and dissatisfied customers and negative press, which could do potential harm to the VW brand.

It might be that the vast majority of mk8 owners are happy with their cars. We only get to read of issues experienced by forum members and the ‘noise’ around software issues on forums may not be representative of the wider mk8 Golf ownership (although I suspect it is). With any new car, it’s likely there’ll be some teething problems. However, I can’t remember there being as many teething problems discussed on forums with the mk7 when it was launched.

It’s a shame, because it seems the mk8 is great dynamically, but is being let down by less than perfect software. :sad:

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #29 on: 28 July 2021, 10:24 »
They developed the software themselves... they used to subcontract it but VAG decided to setup their own software division...from scratch.

Then the software wasn't ready, they knowingly launched the Mk8 (and other VAG cars including the ID3) with untold problems. In their mind delays for a new model would be more costly than reputational damage....

Thats all fine, all software has problems but its the way they are handling it. What they should be doing is being open and transparent about the issues and have organised recall programmes to deal with it... but no. Smoke and mirrors and denying problems and pretending they are specific to individual customers not systemic across their software ecosystem.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC