Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 48865 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #330 on: 09 April 2021, 16:27 »
Buy yourself an older car, Fred- and you’ll enjoy every drive.

Here’s a far more interesting vid-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jHv_5tCXhuw

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #331 on: 09 April 2021, 16:31 »
Am I right in saying he thought the ride with DCC was a bit crashy but he always says without is fine? Maybe crashy isn’t the right word but he could feel every imperfection in a DCC R but the non DCC CS is always a good ride. ??????
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #332 on: 09 April 2021, 16:42 »
Yes that was odd with the DCC on the R, I have Dcc on my Mk7 CS with 19's and I am pleased with the options available.
Although I haven't driven a Dcc equiped mk8, with the 15(?) multi option settings, surely there must be a Goldilocks balance avilable under the individual setting?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #333 on: 09 April 2021, 16:43 »
Am I right in saying he thought the ride with DCC was a bit crashy but he always says without is fine? Maybe crashy isn’t the right word but he could feel every imperfection in a DCC R but the non DCC CS is always a good ride. ??????

No he said that if you turn the DCC up beyond the middle setting, he thought it was too hard.

I've seen him do this before - he likes individual mode with everything set to sport except the daft noise and DCC set to soft.

You can't really complain about non-DCC because there is nothing you can do lol but he won't have made it any better by adding 19's to it.

For me, I've not really found a happy place with DCC yet. Comfort is a bit soft and wallowly most of the time and the sport setting is too hard. I must try an individual mode setting somewhere between the two - there are about 200 clicks of choice!

What would be nice are multiple individual profiles tho.... are you listening VW?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #334 on: 09 April 2021, 16:47 »
Shows how much attention I was paying.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #335 on: 09 April 2021, 21:45 »
I’ll watch the vid at some point over the weekend.

Points I’ve gleaned from quickly reading this:

No surprise if the verdict wasn’t pointing to a clear favourite.

Going from his last CS vs TCR review, he’s finally taken the same line as me around suspension springs dictating ride quality far more than just the dampers.
I sold my TCR as the springs made it too crashy with the DCC set to anything other than rock hard. It made the car unusable with an injured back. Ironic that it was more bearable set to rock hard “sport”.
The 8CS is anything but luxurious but has a very decent ride/handling balance on passive dampers, even on 19’s. You feel the road and that’s how it should be, but it doesn’t crash or jolt.
I very much doubt I’ll ever get to drive an 8R so will leave commenting on anything about it as I can have no valid opinion.
A shame if Andrew has taken a fair bit of abuse from R drivers. That says a lot in itself and is unfortunately also the price one pays when making a living from the media, opening the floodgates to the reactive lynch mobs of the comments sections.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #336 on: 09 April 2021, 21:50 »

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #337 on: 10 April 2021, 09:13 »
Perhaps these may be a solution. I remember back in the day they were raved about in the tt forum.

https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/home/1065-mss-fully-adjustable-lowering-springs.html

Looks like not out for the mk8 yet

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #338 on: 10 April 2021, 10:34 »
I'd still really love to do a thorough test on a GTI...

Drive back to back:

18's without DCC
18's with DCC
19's without DCC
19's with DCC

I've never even seen a professional review covering that in all of my time looking at Golfs.

I suspect even back to back you'd discover there was barely any noticeable difference and I suspect its why VW haven't been keen to set that up.

Although I've had one Mk7 with DCC, one Mk7 without and now a Mk8 with DCC.... I'm still not convinced its actually something worth the money.

The only "thing" DCC definitely gives you on the Clubby is access to the "ring mode".... maybe down the pub that's worth 10 extra bragging points to your mates.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #339 on: 10 April 2021, 12:07 »
But they did comment that the ring mode may be suited to UK roads. That's what was interesting to me.