Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 48850 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #260 on: 18 February 2021, 22:03 »
I read what you'd written thinking "buy the Honda" and then saw the bit at the end  :laugh:

The manual box does exclude most cars you could choose. Manual is on its way out before we get to milk floats which don't even have gears.

What about another ST?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Colm

• Just got here
« Reply #261 on: 18 February 2021, 22:26 »
I read what you'd written thinking "buy the Honda" and then saw the bit at the end  :laugh:

The manual box does exclude most cars you could choose. Manual is on its way out before we get to milk floats which don't even have gears.

What about another ST?

I have a new model Mk4 Focus ST so there's no point in getting another ST. The mk3.5 isn't a good machine, and I had a mk3 for 5 years (loved that, flawed but enjoyable).

So, probably time for a change, but I agree, it's not easy to find alternatives these days alright!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #262 on: 18 February 2021, 22:52 »
Probably I'd take a look at the i30n... The sport back version is a touch more adult than the hatch but still very bonkers.

If you've had performance ford's you'll already be used to shocking fuel economy lol.

Probably the hyundai is the most old skool apart from the Honda but without the "just ram raided Halfords" look.

Definitely test drive a clubby but also try the i30n.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Colm

• Just got here
« Reply #263 on: 19 February 2021, 00:07 »
Probably I'd take a look at the i30n... The sport back version is a touch more adult than the hatch but still very bonkers.

If you've had performance ford's you'll already be used to shocking fuel economy lol.

Probably the hyundai is the most old skool apart from the Honda but without the "just ram raided Halfords" look.

Definitely test drive a clubby but also try the i30n.

Oh no, definitely not an i30n!!!. The local Hyundai dealer gave me his demo for a weekend in 2019 prior to ordering my MK4 ST, I was considering it as replacement for my mk3 ST.

It wasn't a sport back obviously, but the hatch is the same DNA. I had high hopes, and the price was great.....   what a disappointment, the engine was really poor, so little low down (only c.350nm in it), axle tramped really badly, and despite all the configuration, none of the modes did a good job at the daily grind stuff, so much road and exhaust noise even in quiet modes, ride was really poor also. It felt like a first effort car, and nowhere near the reviews. It certainly had a fun factor, but overall it's not something I'd recommend. The mk4 ST is streets ahead of it.
The newer model i30n with the altered front suspension is said to ride better, I haven't tried it though.

I test drove a Megane Trophy also, my my what a hoot, felt like our rallycar, undoubtedly the most fun I've had in a road car on a proper back road blast, love the flared arches too, and I could put up with the rubbery manual box, but the constant nodding dog ride quality would be impossible to live with. What a fun car though, and the gimmicky rear wheel steering felt fine, added to the fun as it really felt like it pivoted around you.

Unlikely to find a DCC clubsport in Ireland to test, so it'll probably have to be a blind order....  but owner feedback/reviews/YouTube videos do help alot, not ideal but so be it

I don't have to commute to work thankfully, so mpg doesn't concern me. My ST is sitting on 30.3 mpg despite lots of short trips and back road fun on the countryside roads I live on. Anything around 30mpg is fine for me.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #264 on: 19 February 2021, 07:57 »
Lol I'll put you down as a "maybe" on the i30n  :laugh:

I don't think I've seen you say you are in Ireland before... Maybe a clubby with dcc and the ring mode might be a good idea.

Maybe things have changed since I was last there but the only place I've found with worse roads than England is Ireland.

Actually, that's not true, Italian city centres in the South are not even roads, just craters!

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #265 on: 19 February 2021, 08:17 »
The ride in the i30N is exceptionally harsh. If you’re worried about a CS on 18s with dcc then an I30N is a real bone shaker.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Colm

• Just got here
« Reply #266 on: 19 February 2021, 09:00 »
Lol I'll put you down as a "maybe" on the i30n  :laugh:

I don't think I've seen you say you are in Ireland before... Maybe a clubby with dcc and the ring mode might be a good idea.

Maybe things have changed since I was last there but the only place I've found with worse roads than England is Ireland.

Actually, that's not true, Italian city centres in the South are not even roads, just craters!

😂 ha, yes, I didn't feel the love for the Hyundai alright!

Indeed, our back roads in Ireland take bumpy to another level. I laugh watching UK reviews where reviewers talk about "this bumpy terrible B road I'm on today"....  and I'm looking thinking, no, that's a motorway compared with what is outside my house!!!

Thankfully our National route are mostly good quality now, but the back roads are as bumpy as you remember them.

Anyway, apologies for taking the thread off topic somewhat, can't wait to see more Clubsport reviews

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #267 on: 19 February 2021, 11:42 »
Clubby's seem to be dropping in price

MK7 GTi

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #268 on: 19 February 2021, 11:46 »
Clubby's seem to be dropping in price

Wouldn't surprise me to see any dealer stock getting more discounts.... this stock must be killing their cashflow.

The whole motor trade is banking on a huge demand surge when lockdown lifts.... not sure I agree that will happen because a lot of people will not return to commuting... why replace your car if its going to sit on the drive? Does a family need multiple cars?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #269 on: 19 February 2021, 11:56 »
Maybe, but lots of people coming to the end of their PCP will still have a decision to make. They'll still swap for a new one because, well, that's just what they've always done.  :undecided:
7.5 GTD