Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 48850 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #170 on: 04 February 2021, 17:47 »
VW confirmed to Harry that the comfort/ sport chassis setting is the diff, not anything to do with ride quality.

Buried somewhere in the comments for the video. Glad that one is sorted then!

Oh yes....so it does. One of the great Mk8 mysteries solved!

I can understand how the XDS/VAQ setting could be considered "sport" but "comfort"?? what does comfort mean on a diff setting?

And I wonder if a car with DCC has chasis menu options that read differently? I'll find out in 3 weeks!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #171 on: 04 February 2021, 18:03 »
Hey guys, I have some news on the subject of the suspension differences between a Clubsport with 18" wheels and 19" wheels from factory. I wanted to get a 100% clear answer, so, I managed to speak in person to a gentleman by the name of Jürgen Pützschler who works alongside Karsten Schebsdat, the head of chassis development at VW HQ! The answer is, there is a difference in suspension setting/spring rates between a car fitted with an 18" wheel and a car fitted with 19" wheels from factory. Trust this helps anyone wishing to know.

(P.S, I also happen to know that there is 100% an Edition 45 GTI coming! I asked him!)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #172 on: 04 February 2021, 18:20 »
Now that is some top quality insider research!  :nerd:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #173 on: 04 February 2021, 18:42 »
Hey guys, I have some news on the subject of the suspension differences between a Clubsport with 18" wheels and 19" wheels from factory. I wanted to get a 100% clear answer, so, I managed to speak in person to a gentleman by the name of Jürgen Pützschler who works alongside Karsten Schebsdat, the head of chassis development at VW HQ! The answer is, there is a difference in suspension setting/spring rates between a car fitted with an 18" wheel and a car fitted with 19" wheels from factory. Trust this helps anyone wishing to know.

(P.S, I also happen to know that there is 100% an Edition 45 GTI coming! I asked him!)

Good work! How difficult was it to get that far up the food chain? :afro:  :cool:
Did he intimate what any of the differences are? Sooner or later part numbers will be available so the fact there are differences will be obvious from that but which one has stiffer springs or dampers or both would be useful.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #174 on: 04 February 2021, 18:45 »
Fantastic info!

So Henry's car with retro fitted nineteens won't be riding the same as one factory built for nineteens.

Interesting and something I've been speculating for a while.

Those adelaides are super heavy, maybe that's why they need different springs?

And I think it's the springs and not the dampers because dcc is listed as being for eighteens or nineteens.. I doubt if the dampers are different but perhaps they are too.

One thing is totally apparent now, vw have put a lot of effort into handling in the mk8 and it was possible to feel that on my gti test drive for sure.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #175 on: 04 February 2021, 20:27 »
Your very welcome! Well, I actually was wanting some advice on the suspension set up of my Clubsport Edition 40 GTI, I actually uncovered an anomaly in the rear camber values that Volkswagen had stated for the car and wished to get this clarified as well as glean some tips on chassis set up from the men that know and actually developed the car in the first place from scratch!

It seems that the vehicles speced with the 19" wheels from factory have the different spring rate, hence why fitting a 19" wheel to a vehicle that was fitted with 18" wheels from factory may cause issues.

The other aspect he did stress is to get the full advantage of the Mk8 handling improvements, the Dynamic Chassis must be specced, a lot of development has gone into this with the VDM (Vehicle Dynamics Manager) and only when fitted with DCC, the VDM is fully active and helps agility.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #176 on: 04 February 2021, 20:44 »
Yes, I'm pretty sure the early reviews talked about it being very much about vdm working with dcc.

Dcc goes from being a fairly dumb individual shock system to becoming a sensor network and controlled by another computer that uses even more inputs to adjust each wheel (throttle position, braking, steering, speed etc) plus adjusting the xds/vaq.

It's very clever.

I'm still not sure how the setting for chassis on a non dcc car can be "comfort" though...

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #177 on: 04 February 2021, 21:24 »
Good info. Next time you speak to him could you ask him what's included in the nav pro over the standard nav?  :grin:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #178 on: 04 February 2021, 21:32 »
Lol or why the clubby decal only goes halfway along the side 😜

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #179 on: 04 February 2021, 21:32 »
He has assured me he is only responsible for chassis development  :rolleyes:! I tried to press for a little more information on the upcoming Edition 45 GTI and was clearly informed that aspects such as interior etc are taken care off by Marketing!