Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 49897 times)

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #160 on: 04 February 2021, 13:25 »
Latest 8CS review from carfection. HenryC is one of the best car "testers" in my view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7PtsxgBlxI

It will be interesting to hear the view of those who have owned 8CS & TCR at the videos concluding remarks?
« Last Edit: 04 February 2021, 13:45 by clubsport »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #161 on: 04 February 2021, 13:48 »
Latest 8CS review from carfection. HenryC is one of the best car "testers" in my view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7PtsxgBlxI

That is a good review. Its actually a review, not some youtuber talking garbage.

He did miss a trick or two though - the blue lights and dash? No idea how the clubby comes out of the box but its entirely configurable.

He didn't know what the non-DCC chasis settings did either lol but did note that without DCC you don't get "special mode".

Interesting to hear him say that VDM doesn't control the electro-mechanical LSD in the base GTI.... first I've heard anyone say that.

Noticed he didn't seem to struggle to turn off ESC while driving, unlike anyone else so far. Maybe they were all just moaning babies  :laugh:

Anyway, while undoubtably the clubby is a great hot hatch, i'm happy with having chosen the cosy hatch  :cool:
« Last Edit: 04 February 2021, 13:56 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #162 on: 04 February 2021, 14:01 »
You know, thinking about non-DCC cars and the chasis setting in the driving modes...

Thats going to be a VDM setting isn't it? VDM controls everything in a Mk8.

If you have DCC it controls suspension rates on a per wheel basis, but without it its still controlling XDS and maybe VAQ along with ESC.

That I think is what the chasis setting does in non-DCC.

So maybe he is sort of right when he said it controls the VAQ and he noted their is no front diff setting in the individual driving mode, unlike in the Mk7 with VAQ.

I guess its all about VDM, which is new in the Mk8 and joins up all of the systems unlike the Mk7.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #163 on: 04 February 2021, 14:13 »
Having followed Henry's reviews for years, I think he and the team do enough research into the car they feature. Just look at the production quality, they never rush to be the first to get a car online.

As this thread title is "clubsport reviews".

Henry ran a mk7 CS as a long termer.

This may be classified as Nsfw with parental advisory as it is literally Gti pron! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTXenwRMwvk

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #164 on: 04 February 2021, 14:17 »
Oh don't get me wrong, thats the best most detailed review I have seen of a Mk8 yet, refreshing to see some professionalism in the end!

And it made me muse about what VDM was, I think all of us don't really understand it yet. The truth will come - from a VW technician training manual.... would love to see the book on VDM as I am sure its all explained in there.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #165 on: 04 February 2021, 14:29 »
It will be interesting to hear the view of those who have owned 8CS & TCR at the videos concluding remarks?

That’ll be this idiot then  :grin:

I only had chance to whizz through the review, I’ll watch it properly when less busy later/at the weekend.

Steering wise they feel much the same to me but bear in mind I’m still running the car in and can only use it for commuting (which is admittedly on rural roads at least). But I can’t really tell the difference between the steering between the cars. Then again I’m not a proper driver like Henry and certainly not a qualified reviewer so I’ll go with what the man says.
In all other respects I agree with Henry, pointless changing between the two as you gain little for a lot of expenditure and lose quite a bit in the form of user functionality (looks are arguable I suppose but the nod definitely goes to the TCR for me).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #166 on: 04 February 2021, 14:43 »
Interesting thing on the Carfection review - that Clubsport was not specified with 19"s from factory. They have been added afterwards. Still trying to find a 100% clear answer on if spec'ing 18/19"s the only difference from factory is the little plastic winglets on the arches with the 19"s
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #167 on: 04 February 2021, 14:49 »
Interesting thing on the Carfection review - that Clubsport was not specified with 19"s from factory. They have been added afterwards. Still trying to find a 100% clear answer on if spec'ing 18/19"s the only difference from factory is the little plastic winglets on the arches with the 19"s

Good spot! I missed that.

Hmmmm the winglets are for MOT compliance I believe... otherwise they protrude from the body work?

And yes, the question of what they change besides the wheels and the winglets is still unanswered.

Curiously just now the GTI configurator triggers the question about 19" suspension, the clubby doesn't.

Weird.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #168 on: 04 February 2021, 14:58 »
Mmmmm, I think it looks so good in that carfection video! Nicest / most flattering video I've seen of the car yet.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #169 on: 04 February 2021, 17:26 »
VW confirmed to Harry that the comfort/ sport chassis setting is the diff, not anything to do with ride quality.

Buried somewhere in the comments for the video. Glad that one is sorted then!
Gone: Mk8 GTI Clubsport
Gone: Audi A8
Gone: Mini JCW
Gone: BMW X4M competition
Gone: Porsche 718 Boxster S
Gone: BMW M4 competition