Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 49930 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #100 on: 26 January 2021, 10:38 »
Sounds like a great deal!

I'm in my company car until June next year so will see how prices look and what happens with the forthcoming ED45 version. I really do miss my GTI for blasting around the peaks but the 330e ticks a lot of boxes - just not the one called 'Exciting to drive'!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #101 on: 26 January 2021, 19:21 »
MK8 Clubsport Vs New Civic Type R written review.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/vw-golf-gti-clubsport-vs-honda-civic-type-r

No prices for guessing which one he prefers 🙄 but it seems like he really likes the Clubby too.

That was an enjoyable read.
Not being someone who sneaks off into the loo with a copy of Evo mag I think the rather technical way the author drove the Civic proves to me I bought the right car! The Clubby is more than fine for a mere mortal like myself.  :smiley:
It was good to read the thoughts of someone who can actually drive a hot hatch properly though and nicely written to boot.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #102 on: 26 January 2021, 21:51 »

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/vw-golf-gti-clubsport-vs-honda-civic-type-r

No prices for guessing which one he prefers 🙄 but it seems like he really likes the Clubby too.

Quoted weight for the Clubsport is 1461- I assume this is with driver and fluids. It does seem a lot heavier than the mk7 performance golfs, though most reports say it's only marginally heavier than the outgoing mk7.
A 5dr manual mk7 GTI Performance weights 1380, for example.
Can anyone shed any light on the quoted weights? Does anyone know a good source for comparing kerb weights?

Are we not comparing apples with oranges here given the DSG box in the Clubsport? I’ve not searched but I guess a more accurate comparison would be all cars with DSG (if available) given you can only get the Clubsport with that box.

Having said that, I’ve come from a land yacht A8 to my Golf so it was always going to feel as light as a feather!

Yes, you are probably right- add say 20kg for a dsg box and the gap narrows - still probably around 60kg in it by my reckoning.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline ClubsportMk8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #103 on: 26 January 2021, 22:10 »

Quoted weight for the Clubsport is 1461- I assume this is with driver and fluids. It does seem a lot heavier than the mk7 performance golfs, though most reports say it's only marginally heavier than the outgoing mk7.
A 5dr manual mk7 GTI Performance weights 1380, for example.
Can anyone shed any light on the quoted weights? Does anyone know a good source for comparing kerb weights?

Are we not comparing apples with oranges here given the DSG box in the Clubsport? I’ve not searched but I guess a more accurate comparison would be all cars with DSG (if available) given you can only get the Clubsport with that box.

Having said that, I’ve come from a land yacht A8 to my Golf so it was always going to feel as light as a feather!

Yes, you are probably right- add say 20kg for a dsg box and the gap narrows - still probably around 60kg in it by my reckoning.

It’s difficult to find the exact figures for a like for like model but Evo themselves seem to think it’s only 4kg between a manual 5 door Mk7 vs 8 but who knows for the other specifications?!?

Either way, the MK8 seems to be about average for a medium family hatch these days. Sounding like an old man but I do remember moaning that the weight of the FN2 Civic Type-R has crept to 1,260kg!
Gone: Mk8 GTI Clubsport
Gone: Audi A8
Gone: Mini JCW
Gone: BMW X4M competition
Gone: Porsche 718 Boxster S
Gone: BMW M4 competition

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #104 on: 26 January 2021, 22:27 »
The hot hatch is definitely changing. More luxurious, more powerful. First question buyers ( and testers) ask is “ how much more power than the outgoing model ”.
It is a shame in a way, because technology is there to make cars lighter, and so more enjoyable to drive, and cheaper to buy and run.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #105 on: 27 January 2021, 07:46 »
The hot hatch is definitely changing. More luxurious, more powerful. First question buyers ( and testers) ask is %u201C how much more power than the outgoing model %u201D.
It is a shame in a way, because technology is there to make cars lighter, and so more enjoyable to drive, and cheaper to buy and run.

Making hot hatches ever more powerful increases the gap between them and the next engine/model down. In the Golf, for example, next below the GTI is the 150hp R Line - quite a gap in performance. Maybe there isn't much of a demand for 180-200hp warm hatchbacks these days.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #106 on: 27 January 2021, 08:37 »
How would you make them lighter?

Serious question.

Would you make the gti lighter than an R Line? The clubsport lighter than the Gti and the R like a hummingbird that's been going to weight watchers?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #107 on: 27 January 2021, 09:52 »
How would you make them lighter?

Serious question.

Would you make the gti lighter than an R Line? The clubsport lighter than the Gti and the R like a hummingbird that's been going to weight watchers?

I have no idea how you'd make them lighter.

I do know it can be done-the mk7 was lighter than mk6 and mk5. Body panels were thinner, and some lighter weight materials were used- don't ask me where- you'd know better than me!
I'm probably in a big minority- the hot hatch buyer wants a big powerful engine, a car that feels rock solid and a long list of options.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #108 on: 27 January 2021, 10:10 »
I don't think the buying public really think about power to weight ratios. I just don't think it would sell.

As a former biker, I can tell you about that - I can tell you that a 188kg Yamaha R1 with 128bhp is a ratio that nobody who has only driven cars can possibly understand. You know that bit in star wars where the stars all blur to lines.... its like that lol!

You could make a GTI+ I guess by:

Using different materials for the bonnet and roof - maybe aluminium or carbon fibre?
Lighter forged wheels, maybe 17's, narrower tyres too
Lighter brake calipers and discs

Not sure that would make enough difference vs the money spent. Maybe shed 100kg like that? Cost maybe another 2k?

Removing the 2 doors and making it 3 door drops a fair bit of weight.

Then you could start to do things that nobody would want as a daily driver:

Remove AC
Remove all sound deadening
Remove carpets
Remove interior trim panels
Remove dash
Remove back seats
Replace front seats with lighter recaros

After that, its horrible to live in but probably what, 500kg lighter?

The actual TCR touring car is only 100kg less in weight than the road going "TCR" because after removing all of the nice things it has a rollcage and extra body panels.

Bizarre eh?
« Last Edit: 27 January 2021, 10:14 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #109 on: 27 January 2021, 10:31 »
That’s interesting. And your first paragraph is the crux of the matter.

The big shame is that almost everything required for driving enjoyment- steering feel, seat of the pants feel, agility, throttle response- is linked to low weight. Efficiency and reliability too.

Not sure there’s any difference now between 3 and 5 door- mk7 figures were the same, from memory.