Author Topic: Clubsport Reviews  (Read 48838 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Clubsport Reviews
« Reply #320 on: 09 April 2021, 09:18 »
Be interesting to see if he likes the R which will then become the best golf ever, he'll sell his CS and then he'll have an R until the Ed 45 turns up which will then be the best golf ever which will mean the R is sold and an Ed45 will be on his drive.  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #321 on: 09 April 2021, 10:08 »
He’s never hidden his dislike for the R so it’ll be interesting. Best Golf ever?  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #322 on: 09 April 2021, 10:15 »

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #323 on: 09 April 2021, 12:48 »
Here it is.... R vs Clubby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vEtg8HNBSI

Spoiler alert... the wizard is loaned a VW press car and isn't allowed to say what he might really think.

After an inconclusive ramble he concludes with "the clubby is a drivers car and hardly anyone is a capable enough driver so they will buy the R"

meh
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #324 on: 09 April 2021, 12:57 »
I’ve not got around to watching it yet but Andrew does have a thing about the R and R drivers. I know he’s had some flack, some of it quite personal, on the R forum and his Mk7 R had lots of issues. Hmmmm

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #325 on: 09 April 2021, 13:28 »
I just think it is a different segment that buys Rs. I know the R has some heritage but it seems GTIs have a whole lot more.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #326 on: 09 April 2021, 14:41 »
Hhhmm..... You have to love the detail he goes into with his reviews.

I'm not sure there is an answer to which is the "better" car?

I don't like the plastuc egg crate front end on the CS amongst other things, 5 door & Dsg only on a CS "drivers car"?

The R looks the better package to me, however, with the car precariously on the edge of the £40k tax limit, easily braeched by a few extras, that is a detriment to choosing the R.

I haven't driven either, but the notion that Fwd modern hatch with modern traction and safety aids is a test, only for serious drivers is a bit of a reach?

Try a rwd aircooled 911 lightweight on a torrential Nordscliefe, when you have a clear track as the Dutch contingent are too cautious to take their Subarus out!:)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #327 on: 09 April 2021, 15:55 »
I haven't driven either, but the notion that Fwd modern hatch with modern traction and safety aids is a test, only for serious drivers is a bit of a reach?

Try a rwd aircooled 911 lightweight on a torrential Nordscliefe, when you have a clear track as the Dutch contingent are too cautious to take their Subarus out!:)

Quite!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #328 on: 09 April 2021, 15:58 »

Yes, it sounds like nonsense to me.
That's just about the dullest video he's ever done.

Here's my advice for anyone considering either car-
"Here are 2 fast golfs. One is two wheel drive, the other is all wheel drive. Take your pick."
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #329 on: 09 April 2021, 16:11 »
I just comes down to the usual thing :  "speed is a question of money, how fast can you afford to go"

Although increasingly at the moment I'm starting to think "how fast do i actually want to go?".... which is why I quit my motorbike habbit.