Author Topic: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - Rebuilt gearbox with OBX LSD.  (Read 64609 times)

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - ISV fitted
« Reply #160 on: 14 October 2012, 16:06 »
So I've been wanting to get better cold starts and without idle control its a bit of a compromise. I never had a major issue with getting it started, but cold idle was a bit low until the engine warmed up a bit and i wanted to improve it.

I have always wanted to add an ISV so after i figured out the best way to install it, i bought some fittings and started to install it.

Had to bypass the throttle plate and keep the system sealed. I didnt want to do anymore welding, so I bought a 13mm take off to fit into the elbow before the throttle.

Then a section of pipe was made up consisting of a 19mm-13mm reducer, joined to a section of 13mm silicone. This was used to connect to the ISV input.

A section of pipe was made up for the ISV outlet to manifold connection. I chose to Tee into the manifold where brake servo connects. For the permanant connections i wanted to keep it neat so i used ear hose clamps instead of worm drive

ISV connection Tee'd into servo line.

ISV connected into circuit, to bypass throttle

Once car was fired up, i had to adjust down throttle stop as the extra air from the ISV had it revving near 2k rpm once warm.

I have it setup for warmup mode only and it works well. I have noticed there isn't much range to adjust on the valve. It revs very high within a 10% duty band. I Will attempt to get closed loop idle working at a later date.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:36 by tshirt2k »

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
Re: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - ISV fitted and dyno results
« Reply #161 on: 14 October 2012, 16:49 »
So after the car being off the road and had bits fitted that should improve the performance, I wanted to see what effects they would have.
I went to London Dyno Day at Garage Streamline organised by Toyotec of CGTI and car was strapped on the rollers. I first set the boost controller to 18psi, but it didn't seem to like it, although on the road it felt ok and fueling seemed about right.

I then switched to 1bar boost and the car was run.

(video)

Results

Happy with the outcome but would like to find out what was causing the wobble past 5k. Not bad for a bit of road tuning.

It was commented that it was running rich and i've realised that whilst i was concentrating on fueling for the high boost setting and i had over adjusted this line of the map too. Also noticed that the reason the high boost setting spiking early was due to me being a generous with the gain setting of the boost controller.

Will need to get it optimised on the dyno now and get controller dialled in correctly.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 23:37 by tshirt2k »

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - ISV fitted dyno results P17
« Reply #162 on: 14 October 2012, 16:55 »
Coming along quite nicely, whens the optimised map planned?

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #163 on: 14 October 2012, 17:04 »
Hopefully soon. Within the next month

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #164 on: 14 October 2012, 17:10 »
What do you reckon, more power / torque or simply a smoother delivery curve is on the cards once done? Realistically speaking what do think is achievable from this kind of set up and what would be needed to scratch on the surface of 300 ponies?

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #165 on: 14 October 2012, 17:43 »
Initial delivery is good as you can see by the graph. Its the top end that needs smoothing due to the boost controller holding onto the boost longer that throws the map out. I think there should be a bit more power and torque available with the extra boost, but it would mainly be in the upper mid range.

Im sure i'll find out, but doubt this will get near 300hp especially on that "heartbreaker" dyno.

Maybe a stronger wastgate spring will hold the boost on longer but to be honest, its fast enough and spins up easy enough as it is. Also if i do that i won't be able to have a low boost (6psi) setting as the spring will increase the minimum setting.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #166 on: 15 October 2012, 09:35 »
Epic.  :cool:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #167 on: 02 January 2013, 21:43 »
Please excuse my ignorance, but this is the first time that I have ventured on your project thread, and WOW, seriously impressed by your craftsmanship.

Is it now on the 'proper' map?

I'll be in touch reference the MS too...

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #168 on: 02 January 2013, 22:12 »
Please excuse my ignorance, but this is the first time that I have ventured on your project thread, and WOW, seriously impressed by your craftsmanship.

Not far behind you to be honest Lewy... Saw the first batch of updates a long time back and then never saw it pop up again!...  A very impressive thread indeed!

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #169 on: 02 January 2013, 22:16 »

Cheers mate, No probs. You never know what to expect when looking at build threads  :grin:

Its not quite the proper map. WOT map at 0.6 & 1 Bar are ok apart from the wobble past 5k that needs looking into. I'd still like to get map sorted for 18 psi but not important until i can get some traction.

I Have been fine tuning it recently on the spark side of thing to smooth out some off idle stumbles and some low speed drivebiltiy issues. Seems a lot better now. With MS you can always have a tweak here and there to get it closer to how you want it.